Author Topic: Old Style Discipline  (Read 822 times)

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Old Style Discipline
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 10:52:58 AM »
@olds She's nine years old, and while three hours may not seem like much, an average adult finishes a marathon in twice that time.  Being unfit has nothing to do with it.  The following comes from my experience doing competitive high school cross country racing:  It takes weeks of training to get even a fifteen year old to run a respectable 5k time, it would be madness to ask a completely unprepared nine year old to even attempt such a race at a pace any faster than jogging.  The aforementioned training is ~1 hour of jogging and one hour lifting weights Monday through Saturday, all under close supervision with plenty of water.  If you asked us to run (as opposed to jog or sprint) for even an hour ( as opposed to her three), it would be the only thing we did that entire day.  There would be intense training beforehand to prepare us for it- not just our coach telling us to go do it.  If he did, he'd be fired and practically exiled.  Running is not something to be taken lightly, and safety is paramount.  

She did not die from a short sprint.  She was told to run, not pace herself as even Olympic athletes must do, without water, for three hours in weather likely around 70 degrees Farenheit.  If you expect an untrained nine year old to defeat a cross country team that regularly places in the top 3 in its regional championship, then I pity your future children.  By your own words, you are "no skinny," so before you get on a soapbox and preach about a lack of endurance among kids, try to match her accomplishment.  Remember, no preparation, no breaks, no water, race pace.

-Penguin

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 10:59:39 AM »
Where did I say that? 
Maybe when you implied that those who believe in spanking their children as a form discipline are also advocates of torture and death.

Offline bagrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 11:34:42 AM »
stupid people have children and continue to be stupid. Then do stupid things to their kids... no surprise. 
Last post by bagrat - The last thing you'll see before your thread dies since 2005.

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 11:39:24 AM »
There's a difference between "Old Fashioned Discipline" and torture.

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2012, 12:59:20 PM »
There's a difference between "Old Fashioned Discipline" and torture.

That is my point.  The people doing it don;t think of it as being torture, stupid or dangerous.  They think of it as "my parents did it and I turned out fine (or so you think lol)".

Slash, there is spanking and there is punching and knocking someone out, for example.  There is no reason to include them in the same category or tell me that I am implying anything.  That works both ways and since you did not define spanking should I assume it includes kicking, punching, slapping etc?  Two can play that game.  To me it sounds like you are defending the loose definition of spanking.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2012, 02:33:35 PM »
Well good for you.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2012, 02:38:34 PM »
guess america is really fat when you die at 9 from running. im no skinny but come on a kid dies from runnnig? wish kids my age would get outside a little more.

Running for 3 hours.  It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Hoffman

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2012, 12:14:17 AM »
guess america is really fat when you die at 9 from running. im no skinny but come on a kid dies from runnnig? wish kids my age would get outside a little more.

Y'know what... Let's stick your butt on a treadmill for 10 miles and see how you feel afterwards. Not 3 hours of running, no just for 10 miles.  A physically fit person can do that easily in an hour and a half.

I'm used to running 2 miles 3 days a week and lifting weights on the days in-between.  Do you know how long it takes to get to that level of physical fitness?  Months.  It takes months. 
It takes about 2 weeks to take someone with no running experience just to run a continous mile in good form.  Another two weeks to build that up to 2 miles.  And that's just 20 minutes of running a day, and if you're not used to it you're exhausted for the rest of the day.  Takes me about an hour to fully recover from the run to where I'm capable of doing more than stagger around the house.  And that's turning in 17:30 2 mile runs, which is actually a bit slow for my age group. (I didn't run at all last year and I'm kicking myself for it now.)

I'm a physically fit, well hydrated, well eating 24 year old with good shoes and 6 years of running experience. I could probably run for 3 hours straight, even without specific conditioning.  This is a 9 year old girl who likely had no instruction in running form, basic sneakers, and died from dehydration and heat stroke.

Olds, I recommend you close mouth, and just move on and be a little more mindful of what you post.

Offline 800nate800

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2012, 01:46:36 AM »
agreed
former squeaker, but you wont 1v1 about it
Most my friends are banned......
Kommando Nowotny

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2012, 01:49:50 AM »
I get your point but have to disagree.

These people were not using old fashioned discipline. They were just idiots.

I agree with shuffler, but replace idiots with something more appropriate.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2012, 08:42:59 AM »
Um, apparently, you have not read the BBS on how you should discipline your children the old fashion way.  What you describe is how to spoil them and the reason society is going down hill.  :lol 

Funny how non of them have appeared in here yet.

Show me where on this BBS anyone has suggested forcing a kid to run for 3 hours and then you will have made a legitimate point.

Oh and you can count me in as one of those who have now appeared how "old fashioned was better" and still is in most cases.

One look at much of todays youth is proof positive that even if older werent better. Newer certainly hasnt cut it either
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2012, 09:23:01 AM »
That is my point.  The people doing it don;t think of it as being torture, stupid or dangerous.  They think of it as "my parents did it and I turned out fine (or so you think lol)".

Slash, there is spanking and there is punching and knocking someone out, for example.  There is no reason to include them in the same category or tell me that I am implying anything.  That works both ways and since you did not define spanking should I assume it includes kicking, punching, slapping etc?  Two can play that game.  To me it sounds like you are defending the loose definition of spanking.

Anyone who doesnt understand the definite difference between a spanking and punching and knocking someone out. Or cant understand the difference between a spanking and kicking and punching. No amount of logical argument, description would enlighten. Only personal and well deserved and needed demonstration would ever cause them to pull proverbial head from arse.

Burt to take your point and logic to the direction I think you are. All forms of discipline is torture for that matter. Make someone sit in a corner ,stay in their room. Take away something they care about. Are all forms of torture by deprivation. Then there is forced labor. To which it can be argued is torture by degradation.

Then there is the torture of being sat down and having something "splained" to you as a buddy of mine used to do with his kids. He "splained" something to me once. As anyone who has ever been a kid and has has something "splained to them can tell you. That can be nothing short of torture.
And in the case of my buddy. I'd have almost rather had red hot iron rods inserted in my ears.

All would promote "emotional scarring" as much of the anti spank crowd would say.
To which I say YES.
The same kind of emotional scarring that someone might get after grabbing a hot pot without a potholder for the first time.

Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2012, 10:30:36 AM »
I don't know, never knew my real dad. Got stuck with a step father who used to beat me up. Wound up living with my Grandmother at 12. ABout 16 I paid him a visit after he beat my motherup. I brought a few friends. Needless to say he wont hurt anyone, anymore, anytime. That was about 30 years ago. Statue of limitations has passed, and no-one is looking for him either.
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2012, 10:39:12 AM »
 :mad:
Reaper in a T-50-2 Scout tank in 10 seconds flat

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2012, 11:14:07 AM »
When I was a kid, running for 3 hours straight was just a warm-up for our multi-block wars that sometimes lasted 8 hours.