Author Topic: New game "Wargame: European Escalation"  (Read 712 times)

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
Re: New game "Wargame: European Escalation"
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 09:24:06 AM »
Have played a couple more missions and I like it very much. It's a new take on old school RTS, reminiscent of the Close Combat series. You have a limited force pool and losses are final (although other allies join the fight in Germany later on adding their units to your force pool). Your units retain their experience gain from mission to mission, and you earn "command stars" for achieving objectives allowing you to unlock more advanced units from your force pool.

It's like Close Combat + R.U.S.E = Awesome  :aok
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 11:07:07 AM »
I guess what im trying to say is that the AI is no better than the one from command and conquer 1. If it was more like the AI from the close combat series I'd be a whole different story. In close combat you had to triple order an infantry to attack something he couldn't kill because the soldier would refuse the order twice and the third time was sort of the override command...and that infantryman was very likely to panic before he even begun said unwise attack. THAT is good AI.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 11:21:18 AM »
Well, in this game most if not all infantry units have AT capabilities. It's modern day NATO vs PACT after all.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 11:32:18 AM »
I don't know if you've seen any actual game play videos, but here's one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1-xeUaQpq0
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 11:42:09 AM by PR3D4TOR »

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 06:42:09 PM »
I don't know if you've seen any actual game play videos, but here's one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1-xeUaQpq0

Before I buy it.  Is it more of a sim than a game and is the learning curve high?
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 06:45:19 PM »
It's a cross between a tactical squad based game like Close Combat and a strategic RTS like Supreme Commander. I wouldn't call it a sim.

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 06:58:13 PM »
It's a cross between a tactical squad based game like Close Combat and a strategic RTS like Supreme Commander. I wouldn't call it a sim.

I loved World in Conflict and after watching this I think this looks pretty similar.  I'll probably buy this.
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2012, 07:50:04 PM »
Bought.
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2012, 01:07:49 AM »

I have. Look at the unit behavior is what im saying. BMP's unload the rocket infantry which just stays together behind the trucks standing there as shells land all around them. The moment they are ordered to shoot they instantly fire rockets and advance a bit to keep firing... in formation, on foot.

Its command and conquer type AI ... simplistic 'do this till you die' stuff.

I admit the graphics and the interface do seem very well done but in the end, for me, the essence of a wargame like that is not in ordering mindless robot units around... thats why I liked the close combat series so much. Order a unit to do something and they'd panic, refuse, hide or surrender when under extreme pressure.

Maybe ill pick up this game in a year or two when its price drops to 10 bucks.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2012, 07:53:11 AM »
I loved World in Conflict and after watching this I think this looks pretty similar.  I'll probably buy this.
it seems much more in depth than world in conflict also. i dont know though. there better not be nukes :rolleyes:
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2012, 10:56:39 AM »
I'll pass. The game doesnt "Look" good at all graphics-wise and you get no trigger time yourself.
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2012, 02:01:03 PM »
it seems much more in depth than world in conflict also. i dont know though. there better not be nukes :rolleyes:

WiC has a more involving story line, and is more of a tactical game. European Escalation has a short video briefing in between missions and no cinema style cut scenes during play. It's more of a pure RTS.

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2012, 02:47:51 PM »
The game is more strategic than WiC and slower paced.  In order to be successful you have to be able to multitask more.  If you mess up in unit placement the maps are so large that you wont be able to catch up with the enemy.
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2012, 08:28:24 PM »
I miss the old Avalon hill games
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty