Author Topic: Bf109K-4  (Read 2310 times)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
Bf109K-4
« on: February 24, 2012, 01:35:55 PM »
I've been encouraged by a friend to give the K-4 a little try and I have a few minor questions which I'm too lazy to research myself, so I thought I'd just ask here instead  :lol

Firstly, how come the G-14 has bulges in the cowl for the heavy machine guns, but the K-4 does not, even though it apparently has the same machine guns.

Secondly is the power and torque significantly more than than the G-14 or is the airframe lighter, or the airscrew different or does it have more revs on WEP because it seems much easier to get stuck trying to manoeuvre against the torque.

Thirdly is the K-4 more stable as it seems to feel so and is this because of increased weight in the nose?

Finally why is there a missing instrument on the left of the panel and what was it. Or in other words, who stole the clock radio from my dashboard and where can I file my insurance claim. It was a Rolex you know*  :old:

*Rock on Ron White  :rock

”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
Re: Bf109K-4
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 01:52:51 PM »
The K-4 has bulges, just better streamlined.

Yes the engine in the K-4 is more powerful than in the G-14.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 02:29:52 PM »
Finally why is there a missing instrument on the left of the panel and what was it. Or in other words, who stole the clock radio from my dashboard and where can I file my insurance claim. It was a Rolex you know*  :old:

Rolex is a terrible time keeper so your better off.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 02:42:08 PM »
The K-4 (and G10s if I recall) had the same feed chutes for the cowling guns, but it simple smoothed out the cowling to cover them more aerodynamically.

It's hard to find a good example, but here's one (the light on the plastic shows the curve of the bulge) that illustrates how it sticks out to each side:

P.S. Below 10K the G14 and K4 are nearly identical. Only above 10k, above 15k, and upward towards 25k do you notice much of a performance gain. Above 10K the 109K-4 gets better and the G-14 gets worse. Below that they trade off advantages and are almost the same, fight-wise.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 02:44:05 PM by Krusty »

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 02:45:56 PM »
I've been encouraged by a friend to give the K-4 a little try and I have a few minor questions which I'm too lazy to research myself, so I thought I'd just ask here instead  :lol

Firstly, how come the G-14 has bulges in the cowl for the heavy machine guns, but the K-4 does not, even though it apparently has the same machine guns.

The airframe was streamlined between the G and the K models. The k4 has a retractable tail wheel too.

Secondly is the power and torque significantly more than than the G-14 or is the airframe lighter, or the airscrew different or does it have more revs on WEP because it seems much easier to get stuck trying to manoeuvre against the torque.

The K4 has a DB605D while the G-14 has a DB605AS. The G14 actually has better low alt climb and low speed acceleration.

Thirdly is the K-4 more stable as it seems to feel so and is this because of increased weight in the nose?
The K-4 is better balanced, but a well flown G-14 can do some amazing stall tricks due to the instability.

Its not a clock, its the prop pitch indicator. I don't think it works properly in AH, but in RL, all the 109s had a manual pitch override.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 03:21:46 PM »
Wow, thanks for all the information.  :salute I also didn't know that about Rolex, I've only got an old Casio and the battery ran out 18 years ago  :lol

If the performance figures are similar at the lower altitudes how come the K-4 is so much more popular in the MA?
”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 03:34:27 PM »
If the performance figures are similar at the lower altitudes how come the K-4 is so much more popular in the MA?

Two reasons...

1) The K4 can catch most runners. This is more important in a 109 than other rides because of its 30mm cannon. For most, one must be in very short range to make a shot, so often other players run once the adv is lost, and unlike 50cals which can make hits from 600+ out, unless you are grizz, you prob wont be able too.

2) The K4/G14 goes in fads, I remember several years back when I flew the G14 almost exclusively, towards the end of my G14 tenure, many more G14 pilots started showing up, including a G14 squad. That blip faded and the K4 became popular. As self serving as it sounds, I think it has some to do with the number of top sticks fly'n it and being successful in it.
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 03:40:11 PM »
It's been around longer. It's about 10mph faster. If you're diving it's slightly more streamlined. Depending on the altitude, it may be slightly faster than the G14... So you can chase those bombers up to 30K and then still chase a fighter down to the deck.

I think reputation, mostly...

Looking here:

You can see they aren't too much off, until you get up in altitude. As mentioned, some folks say there is a balance/feel difference between the two... I don't know if I agree with that. I think they are very close. G-14 turns ever so slightly tighter with and without flaps. Overall I don't see much reason to take a K-4 other than personal preference, or if you're going up above 15k. Outside of that, the G-14 has WGRs, gunpods, 20mm hub, etc. It's  got almost all you need.

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 03:43:25 PM »
Yes, the G14 will out turn the K4 with and without flaps. This is because the g14 weighs less.
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 03:52:08 PM »
The K4 has a DB605D while the G-14 has a DB605AS.

Only the G-14/AS used the that engine.

2/3rds of G-14 new production used the DB605A engine (2689 vs 1377)

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 03:57:54 PM »
The K4 has some instabilities too much like the G14... learn to use them to your advantage.  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCVK3nhkOAg&feature=channel_video_title&noredirect=1

Krusty, there's definitely a different feel between all of the 109s, very little, but you can tell.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 04:03:04 PM by Krupinski »

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 04:16:37 PM »
The K4 has some instabilities too much like the G14... learn to use them to your advantage.  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCVK3nhkOAg&feature=channel_video_title&noredirect=1

Krusty, there's definitely a different feel between all of the 109s, very little, but you can tell.

Cool vid, and nice shooting! Wish had tricks like that!  :joystick:

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 04:19:58 PM »
Ardy what do you mean by "manual prop pitch override" or "prop pitch indicator"
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 04:54:36 PM »
Ardy what do you mean by "manual prop pitch override" or "prop pitch indicator"

I forgot the exact term, the 109 the pilot could either set the desired RPM and have the prop governor adjust the prop pitch, or the pilot could override the governor and manually adjust the prop pitch.

EDIT: It looks like I'm wrong about that exact gauge. The gauge that Shida is referring too is the MW pressure gauge. Dial #47 is the prop-pitch indicator.

"34 Pessure Gauge for MW Installation"

1 Horizontal Stab. Trim; 2 Flap Handwheel; 3 Cabin Vents; 4 Fuel Selector Handle; 5 Tail Wheel Lock; 6 Glove Heater Plug; 7 Stabilizer Trim Indicator; 8 Engine Primer Hand Pump; 9 Bomb or Drop Tank jettison; 10 Prop Pitch Auto/Man. Switch; 11 Man. Coolant Valve Controls *; 12 Momentary Limit Switch; 13 Quick-Stop Handle; 14 Fuel Selector & Cutoff; 15 Winter Start Handle; 16 Throttle with Thumb Switch for Prop Pitch Control; 17 Motor Generator for Artificial Horizon; 18 UV Cabin Lights; 19 Canopy jettison Handle; 20 Starter Handle; 21 Landing Gear Push Buttons; 22 Selector Switch for 21 cm Rockets or MK 108 **; 23 Landing Gear Indicators; 24 Magneto Switch; 25 Switch for MW Installation; 26 Jettison Switch for 21 cm Rocket Tubes **; 27 Windscreen Cleaning Valve; 28 Main Elect. Circuit Breaker; 29 Master Weapon Switch; 30 Ammunition Counters & Indicators; 31 Armor Glass Windscreen; 32 Gun Sight Revi 16B; 33 Gun Sight Mount; 34 Pessure Gauge for MW Installation; 35 Airspeed Indicator; 36 Artificial Horizon; 37 Vertical Speed Indicator; 38 Altimeter; 39 Repeater Compass; 40 AFN2 Instrument Flight Indicator; 41 Instrument Flight Panel; 42 Fuel & Oil Pressure Gauge; 43 Coolant Temperature Gauge; 44 Tachometer; 45 Flare Gun Port; 46 Oil Temperature Gauge; 47 Prop Pitch Indicator; 48 Manifold Pressure Gauge; 49 Emergency Land. Gear Release; 50 Low Fuel Warning Light; 51 ZSK 244A Bomb Arming Panel; 52 Cover for MK 108; 53 Control Column Grip; 54 Charging Button For MK 108; 55 B2 Button for Bomb Release; 56 Bl Button for MK 108 or Rockets; 57 A Button for MG 131; 58 Radiator Flap Control ; 59 Fuel jettison Handle; 60 Circuit Breaker Panel; 61 Compass Deviation Card; 62 Oxygen Monitor; 63 Oxygen Pressure Gauge; 64 Drop Tank Fuel Transfer Sight Glass; 65 Oxygen Regulator; 66 Main Valve for Oxygen System; 67 Control for FuG 16ZY Radio; 68 Frequency Selector for FuG 16ZY Radio; 69 Headphone Volume Control; 70 Control for FuG 25a (IFF) Radio; 71 Headphone Jack; 72 Oxygen Mask Hose.
   * only on initial AC
   ** omitted in later A/C
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 05:01:49 PM by Ardy123 »
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 06:18:14 PM »
Oh ok, very cool!
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."