Author Topic: Need rudder peddle suggestion  (Read 1545 times)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Need rudder peddle suggestion
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2012, 04:34:58 PM »
It takes a helluva lot longer than a week to transition from twisty to pedals...Im in the middle of it right now and I'm three weeks and no where close to getting used to the muscle memory I had with the twisty.  Just sayin...I was never a great stick but this transition is merciless! llmao!

took me a good month before it was second nature, I did use a twisty for 4 years, before I switched over...I will never go back to a twisty.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2012, 04:43:55 PM »
I could never get used to the twisty stick.  I have some real life flying experience, so it has always felt more natural to use my feet.  When I finally bought my pedals (saiteks) it was much better for me.

As for Saitek quality, I've never had a problem with my pedals (older style), but I'm really tempted to upgrade to the Saitek Combat Pro pedals.  They look really nice.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2012, 05:26:39 PM »
It takes a helluva lot longer than a week to transition from twisty to pedals...Im in the middle of it right now and I'm three weeks and no where close to getting used to the muscle memory I had with the twisty.  Just sayin...I was never a great stick but this transition is merciless! llmao!
I can certainly understand it taking a while to get used to the transition, especially if you're used to a twisty stick for any long amount of time. I used a 290 pro for only a few months before I ordered some pedals. So the twisty action habit wasn't too ingrained yet.

I think alot of guys make the mistake of trying to use the pedals too much when they start out. I basically just use them for fine adjustments when lining up at target. About the only time I really lay into them hard is when I'm trying to slow down real fast or hold my wings in a certain position while in a stall fight/stalled in the vertical or something like that.

Have you tried reversing the pedals? In other words when you push the left pedal in, you turn right and vice versa. Sometimes is just feels like a more correct action for what the twisty sticks guys are used to. I believe Grizz mentioned one time that he had his set up that way as the other way seemed backwards to him. That would totally screw me up, but I guess with some guys it has more of a natural feel to it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 05:29:00 PM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2012, 05:32:43 PM »
Had the Saitek peddles they lasted about 6 years not bad for a plastic toy I would say.  :aok

I now have the CH peddles I think the CH is a better product but I do like the separation of the Saitek for us wider stance guys.  :uhoh ?? :huh No I have not been hanging out at airport bathrooms.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2012, 08:13:46 AM »
All Ch here. No issues at all.

Shuffler doen't have any junk to get in a bunch, his wife took it away years ago.   :D
Who is John Galt?

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2012, 08:19:04 AM »
I've been very happy with my SimPed pedals. I've had them for about 10 years now and they have worked flawlessly the entire time.

http://www.dhs-electronic.de/index2.php?id=200&lng=en

$275.00 Euros is like 275.00 * 1.4 = $385.00 plus shipping!

too much for me.
Who is John Galt?

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2012, 08:34:17 AM »
I thought once I needed rudder pedals, I got them, and realised I didn't need them  :eek:

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2012, 09:36:59 AM »
I thought once I needed rudder pedals, I got them, and realised I didn't need them  :eek:

Need?  It's not about need, it's about fun and cool. Feels more like flying a real plane with pedals. Besides it's good traing for when your 747 it hit by a small plane, sucking the pilots out, and you have to take the controls and land it.  :lol
Who is John Galt?

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2012, 09:54:12 AM »
Need?  It's not about need, it's about fun and cool. Feels more like flying a real plane with pedals. Besides it's good traing for when your 747 it hit by a small plane, sucking the pilots out, and you have to take the controls and land it.  :lol

Oh yes!!    :rofl

This gives me an idea about another thread..... :D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 09:57:39 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2012, 12:47:49 PM »
Need?  It's not about need, it's about fun and cool. Feels more like flying a real plane with pedals. Besides it's good traing for when your 747 it hit by a small plane, sucking the pilots out, and you have to take the controls and land it.  :lol

:aok

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2012, 02:27:25 PM »
You'll be happy you chose the Saitek Combat Pedals OP, until the Simpeds get here, they are the best of the 3 types I have right now.  They are also nearly 1/2 the price of the Simpeds, and if they break, you don't have to worry about sending them overseas.  I AM very excited to see these Simpeds though truth be told.

Good luck with your conversion from twisty to pedals!

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2012, 04:30:08 AM »
That's odd.  My CH pedals require enough force that they slide around on a floor a bit -- I had to put some non-skid under the base to keep them in place.

Do they look like these?

Want to make sure were talking about the same thing.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2012, 08:55:58 AM »
I can certainly understand it taking a while to get used to the transition, especially if you're used to a twisty stick for any long amount of time. I used a 290 pro for only a few months before I ordered some pedals. So the twisty action habit wasn't too ingrained yet.

I think alot of guys make the mistake of trying to use the pedals too much when they start out. I basically just use them for fine adjustments when lining up at target. About the only time I really lay into them hard is when I'm trying to slow down real fast or hold my wings in a certain position while in a stall fight/stalled in the vertical or something like that.

Have you tried reversing the pedals? In other words when you push the left pedal in, you turn right and vice versa. Sometimes is just feels like a more correct action for what the twisty sticks guys are used to. I believe Grizz mentioned one time that he had his set up that way as the other way seemed backwards to him. That would totally screw me up, but I guess with some guys it has more of a natural feel to it.

The more I think about it, the more I think your correct.  My feet want to move the same way my hand moved the twisty and which would mean a coordinated, left hand turn is twisting left, but that twist is coming from the right side of the handle (which would correspond with my right foot instead of my left foot).  It's going to take a lot longer for me, lol
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2012, 11:34:07 AM »
The more I think about it, the more I think your correct.  My feet want to move the same way my hand moved the twisty and which would mean a coordinated, left hand turn is twisting left, but that twist is coming from the right side of the handle (which would correspond with my right foot instead of my left foot).  It's going to take a lot longer for me, lol

This is due to your "flexible Flyer" and bicycle training. The pivot steering of almost everyone is derived from the sleds and bicycles which rotate in the direction they are turning.  In my brain, I've retrained myself to picture the cable that pulls the rudder to the left, when I step left, to turn the plane left. So now it is intuitive.  :salute

Who is John Galt?

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2012, 09:48:06 PM »
This is due to your "flexible Flyer" and bicycle training. The pivot steering of almost everyone is derived from the sleds and bicycles which rotate in the direction they are turning.  In my brain, I've retrained myself to picture the cable that pulls the rudder to the left, when I step left, to turn the plane left. So now it is intuitive.  :salute

Its just going to take a while...not to mention I haven't been flying much and that doesn't help. 
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba