Author Topic: Need rudder peddle suggestion  (Read 1559 times)

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
Re: Need rudder peddle suggestion
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 09:04:13 AM »
I use CH pedals, and am surprised when you guys say that they have "excellent feel". 

There appears to be some sort of clunky mechanical detent (for self-centering?) in the neutral position, which as one passes through it produces a significant discontinuity in the rate-of-change of the rudder position signal, as indicated on the Aces High client "map controllers -> advanced" calibration screen.  It can be partially compensated for by adding a large damping delay to the rudder axis, but this makes the rudder less responsive.

Maybe other pedals are worse?

MH

Online Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 09:07:43 AM »
And the Saitek Combat Pedals, which are far FAR superior in terms of workmanship and materials, are 75$ more, like I just said.  

http://www.amazon.com/Saitek-Flight-Combat-Rudder-Pedals/dp/B004ING996/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1331132515&sr=1-2

It just comes down to personal preference.  I have 3 types of pedals myself set up between 2 different gaming rigs at the moment, and I'll soon have the SIMPED F16USB's in my hands.  I'll likely put the CH USB pedals back in their box and keep the saitek's and simped's out.  Nothing wrong with the CH pedals, don't get me wrong, I've had the same non - USB set since CH sent me a free set when I was editor back at www.combatsim.com which is 11 years now I think, and I've never had any trouble from them right up until the USB ones came out and I boxed them.  But for a little more money you can get a far better set that are wider, smoother, and made from a lot more metal parts (saitek combats).

Choose any, and I think you'll be happy.

I did notice one thing the OP said, maybe I misunderstood, but you said the pedals were for DCS offline type stuff, and your x52 was for Aces High.  Did you mean to say you aren't going to use the pedals in Aces?  If so, you should at least give it a whirl, you'll find that once you get used to them the are far more precise than a twisty or finger rocker type of rudder control.  To each their own I say, but if you get the saitek combat's, at least try it in Aces, I bet the cost of the pedals you'll be using them in Aces instead of the x52 twisty.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 09:10:38 AM by Gman »

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 09:08:47 AM »
I use CH pedals, and am surprised when you guys say that they have "excellent feel". 

There appears to be some sort of clunky mechanical detent (for self-centering?) in the neutral position, which as one passes through it produces a significant discontinuity in the rate-of-change of the rudder position signal, as indicated on the Aces High client "map controllers -> advanced" calibration screen.  It can be partially compensated for by adding a large damping delay to the rudder axis, but this makes the rudder less responsive.

MH

My Saitek pro pedals have such a smooth input that I always wondered if they used hall sensors, and they are 5+ years old now
now posting as SirNuke

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 09:40:04 AM »
I used CH rudder pedals a few times. Hated them. They were extremely light, it required more force to move a computer mouse than those pedals. Pedals should provide some resistance as most of the time when you use your rudder you don't want to apply maximum deflection.

That's odd.  My CH pedals require enough force that they slide around on a floor a bit -- I had to put some non-skid under the base to keep them in place.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 09:40:18 AM »

There appears to be some sort of clunky mechanical detent (for self-centering?) in the neutral position, which as one passes through it produces a significant discontinuity in the rate-of-change of the rudder position signal, as indicated on the Aces High client "map controllers -> advanced" calibration screen.  It can be partially compensated for by adding a large damping delay to the rudder axis, but this makes the rudder less responsive.

MH

Mine have the same issue of clunkiness.  It feels like something got into the pedals and makes them 'notch' at that point.  However, I don't have the second issue you mentioned.  They are linear when I've looked in the calibration screen.

mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 10:21:55 AM »
I Have CH pedals.

Reliable
     Have independent toe control (for braking in AH)
     Have pivotting slider control (for rudder in AH)

Dislikes:
     Ergonomics:
          Foot pedals are angled too flat, and are end pivot (hinged at the heel). Full depression means rotating your foot all the way flat. This forces them to be closer than I want because if you have then far enoguh away to get your legs out in front of you, it's hard to get your Foot flat to the floor. So they work better when you legs are bent and they are closer to you, but this fores my thighs up off the chair which can get uncomfortable after longer sessions.
          The pedals are too close together. This causes your private parts to get in a knock fairly quickly. Very unfavorable. Alternative is to spread your knees apart, with causes you to rest the sides of your feet in the pedals. Also not very comfortable.

So while they have worked flawlessly for almost 3 years now. I'm looking to move to a set that has better egonomics (pedals set wider, and oriented more vertical.)

Who is John Galt?

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 10:35:02 AM »
I've had my current set of Saitek pedals since mid '07 and wouldn't change to another brand at all. Every now and then tho, these Saitek pedals will have the problem of jumping the track, but that is an easy fix. Infact, I've probably taken them apart 3-4 times. Takes 5 minutes and could be avoided if I didn't put full force on the pedals from stretching after a long night of getting shot down.

CH pedals might be nice, tho I've never tried them, but I'd stick with my Saitek pedals (other items I'd think hard about).
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 11:38:35 AM »
I've had both the CH and Saitek pedals. I think I'd love the simpeds but they're a bit pricey IMO. The Ch pedals worked fine but I really didn't like the pedals being so close together. If you like your junk in a bunch then use them. I didn't so I bought some Saiteks and so far I'm liking them a lot more.

I just wish there was some sort of Hall sensor mod for the yaw axis that is easily installed for them. As with any controller that uses pots they get a little jerky over time and that requires a little maintenance to take out. Not the end of the world but you know how it is. It gets worse and worse until you can't live with it anymore and it's a minor tear down. That generally wouldn't happen with Halls.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline LCAMerciful

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 03:14:10 PM »
I've had my current set of Saitek pedals since mid '07 and wouldn't change to another brand at all. Every now and then tho, these Saitek pedals will have the problem of jumping the track, but that is an easy fix. Infact, I've probably taken them apart 3-4 times. Takes 5 minutes and could be avoided if I didn't put full force on the pedals from stretching after a long night of getting shot down.

CH pedals might be nice, tho I've never tried them, but I'd stick with my Saitek pedals (other items I'd think hard about).

If you get a hold of saitek they will send you a free reinforcement kit (and instructions) that will prevent this from happening.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 03:17:26 PM »
All Ch here. No issues at all.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 03:20:36 PM »
send caldera a pm he may still ahve an almost new set of saitek pedals that he hardly used.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2012, 03:33:19 PM »
send caldera a pm he may still ahve an almost new set of saitek pedals that he hardly used.

semp

Too late. Already ordered saitek combat pros

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 03:49:19 PM »
I've been very happy with my SimPed pedals. I've had them for about 10 years now and they have worked flawlessly the entire time.

http://www.dhs-electronic.de/index2.php?id=200&lng=en
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2012, 04:05:46 PM »
CH only way to go. They'll take a week or so to get used to but after that you'll kick yourself in the butt for not getting them sooner. I believe they run about 150.00/175.00 or so. Ebay may have a deal or two also. Worth checking out.  :salute

my advice is stay away from the Saitek pedals. They look nice but just don't hold up like the CH

It takes a helluva lot longer than a week to transition from twisty to pedals...Im in the middle of it right now and I'm three weeks and no where close to getting used to the muscle memory I had with the twisty.  Just sayin...I was never a great stick but this transition is merciless! llmao!
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 04:23:25 PM »
It takes a helluva lot longer than a week to transition from twisty to pedals...Im in the middle of it right now and I'm three weeks and no where close to getting used to the muscle memory I had with the twisty.  Just sayin...I was never a great stick but this transition is merciless! llmao!

Tried both CH and Saitek and never got used to either one.  Hand-eye coordination with a twisty is quicker and easier.  I never got used to having the stall limiter off, either.  This game is tough for slow learners.  :bhead
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."