Author Topic: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 vs Ford Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca  (Read 2816 times)

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
Re: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 vs Ford Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2012, 07:31:38 PM »
You must be a Porter.   

Good one  :aok but off a bit  :D been a tech for the last 26 years with Ford/Lincoln and am the dealers Mustang dude, superchargers,suspension and drive train work get's done by myself........test drives are the best part of my job when it comes to upgrades  :devil

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2012, 07:42:46 PM »
Good one  :aok but off a bit  :D been a tech for the last 26 years with Ford/Lincoln and am the dealers Mustang dude, superchargers,suspension and drive train work get's done by myself........test drives are the best part of my job when it comes to upgrades  :devil

So how come you haven't a clue of pricing?   Because even the cheapest Shelby Mustang, is superior to the GT Premium with every option.   

"My apologies Reaper".    :cheers:
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2012, 07:45:56 PM »
I guess I am wondering why you posting Lap times of VIR, of Vettes, had to do with the conversation at hand?   Because the Camaro SS barely beat the V-6 Mustang on that nifty chart.   So I guess I am left wondering why some still feel the need to compare a "Pony Car to a Car that is NOT it's direct competitor".   

Did you happen to notice the quote by Dago that I referenced in my post with the lap times from VIR?

In case you won't be bothered to go back and re-read the thread, I'll repost it:

Quote from: Dago on Yesterday at 04:25:12 PM
If Ford gave a crap about the overrated piece of junk called a Corvette, all they have to do is produce some more Ford GT's.   Wipe the vette butt off any track all day and all night.  Funny you don't see vettes in a real race situation very often.  Well, maybe not funny, rather it's telling that you don't.

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Quite possibly the dumbest thing I've read in a long, long time. Hilarious, but dumb!  

Virginia International Raceway

2:50.7  CHEVROLET CORVETTE ZR1  
2:53.5  CHEVROLET CORVETTE Z06  
2:58.5  CHEVROLET CORVETTE GRAND SPORT
3:00.7  FORD GT
3:01.2  CHEVROLET CORVETTE (Z51)
3:02.8  FORD MUSTANG BOSS 302 LAGUNA SECA
3:04.0  FORD MUSTANG SHELBY GT500

From here http://www.caranddriver.com/features/lightning-lap-2012-feature-sortable-times-complete-lightning-lap-times-2006-to-2012-page-8

Ford GT = "Hey, look at me, I have a great looking but comparatively slow car that I paid wayyy too much for."

So now, you're wrong again by implying that I started the Corvette discussion... FACT is that was the first time I mentioned Corvette, all of my previous half dozen or so posts in the thread were NOTHING but Mustang/Camaro related, it was other people who brought the Vette in. I was only responding to the imbecile with facts.

and  :cheers: back to you.
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2012, 07:52:00 PM »
Did you happen to notice the quote by Dago that I referenced in my post with the lap times from VIR?

In case you won't be bothered to go back and re-read the thread, I'll repost it:

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Quite possibly the dumbest thing I've read in a long, long time. Hilarious, but dumb!  

Virginia International Raceway

2:50.7  CHEVROLET CORVETTE ZR1  
2:53.5  CHEVROLET CORVETTE Z06  
2:58.5  CHEVROLET CORVETTE GRAND SPORT
3:00.7  FORD GT
3:01.2  CHEVROLET CORVETTE (Z51)
3:02.8  FORD MUSTANG BOSS 302 LAGUNA SECA
3:04.0  FORD MUSTANG SHELBY GT500

From here http://www.caranddriver.com/features/lightning-lap-2012-feature-sortable-times-complete-lightning-lap-times-2006-to-2012-page-8

Ford GT = "Hey, look at me, I have a great looking but comparatively slow car that I paid wayyy too much for."

So now, you're wrong again by implying that I started the Corvette discussion... FACT is that was the first time I mentioned Corvette, all of my previous half dozen or so posts in the thread were NOTHING but Mustang/Camaro related, it was other people who brought the Vette in. I was only responding to the imbecile with facts.

and  :cheers: back to you.

I never said you "started" it, that it just continued other previous posters who did the same thing.   Ford GT comments aside, it is annoying.   The C3-5R program kicked bellybutton in the GT Series.    Those who deny it, shouldn't be typing.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 07:56:57 PM by Masherbrum »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2012, 07:54:57 PM »
The Ford GT is a 7 year old car........at the time, no Vette could touch it.   It was always a planned "3 year production run".    3:00 on that track is probably from the Prototype with the first engine, not the Production engine.   They do themselves a great disservice by not providing model years.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2012, 07:58:08 PM »
The Ford GT is a 7 year old car........at the time, no Vette could touch it.   It was always a planned "3 year production run".    3:00 on that track is probably from the Prototype with the first engine, not the Production engine.   They do themselves a great disservice by not providing model years.

:rofl :rofl  :rofl
Floyd

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2012, 08:00:38 PM »
:rofl :rofl  :rofl

Laugh all you want.    The ZR1 was brought back because of the GT.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2012, 08:03:47 PM »
Laugh all you want.    The ZR1 was brought back because of the GT.

LOL, not quite, it was brought back to compete with Porsche and Ferrari on the world stage... and that came straight from the mouth of Dave Hill at Road Atlanta. I'll take his word for it 100% of the time.
Floyd

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2012, 08:08:31 PM »

The Ford GT never was anything more than a Halo car, an image car.... a "gee wizz" car. Probably a lot of the reason why Ford was so interested in it NOT being raced, and refused to support teams that chose to do so (such as Robinson Racing in the ALMS GT Series... gorgeous cars, just a shame that the only time you see them on tv is when they're being lapped).

And if you looked on the link I posted, you would see that they do, in fact, post dates of the tests, and one doesn't have to leap very far to come to the conclusion that they are testing the most current model year available at the time of the test.
Floyd

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2012, 08:28:23 PM »
LOL, not quite, it was brought back to compete with Porsche and Ferrari on the world stage... and that came straight from the mouth of Dave Hill at Road Atlanta. I'll take his word for it 100% of the time.

Dave Hill himself said: "The Blue Devil (the 2009 ZR1) is the Ford GT-fighter within GM".    

The chicken or the egg?  :devil
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2012, 08:41:19 PM »

Sticker and what people actually pay are two different things, the dealer I work for sold 3 of them and they were all sold for over 50k....just goes to show you there is an A $ $ for every seat and a seat for every a $ $

I have driven them and driven them hard with and without the "Track key"  a GT Pony with a supercharger, tires and suspension will eat them alive  and you will have more fun with it and save a ton of cash to buy beer and chicks with  :rock

$33,000 for a base GT coupe w/ Brembos, 3.73 diff and a cover (apples/apples vs Boss).  $43,500 MSRP for a Boss w/ Recaro seats and Diff package (the one I'd have). $48,100 for a Laguna Seca. $41,300 for a base Boss.

Those are the numbers we'll be using. Not ones you pulled out of your hind end.

Don't forget the free track day driving school you get for buying a Boss.

Now, using your $10,000 go buy a procharger and race suspension, nix your warranty and have a nice day in your entry level GT. I'll still have my Recaro optioned Boss, thanks.

FWIW, you can very much buy a Recaro Boss for $41,500. The Orange one down the street from me has been there for 3 months. I stopped in and their first offer was MSRP, their second was well below. My best offer yet was from a dealer in Ft Lauderdale. There's plenty of money down there, too. If I wasn't buying a house I would have my Florida car a Boss today rather than a rental.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2012, 08:48:27 PM »

Sticker and what people actually pay are two different things, the dealer I work for sold 3 of them and they were all sold for over 50k....just goes to show you there is an A $ $ for every seat and a seat for every a $ $

I have driven them and driven them hard with and without the "Track key"  a GT Pony with a supercharger, tires and suspension will eat them alive  and you will have more fun with it and save a ton of cash to buy beer and chicks with  :rock

gt cost=$34k to $38k
 supercharger= $5k to $7k
 installation of supercharger= $3? or so>?
 tune to compliment supercharger=?
 suspension upgrade= $3 to $4k'ish?

i think at that point you've just spent more than the 302ls costs. annnd....voided any/all warranties.

one thing i'm still looking for info on....the track key option. it would seem to me that these cars use the same ecu, but with different programming. i would think that there's a possibility to use the track key setup on the gt...which would be pretty dam cool.

as a side note......i have my boss302 air dam, and splitter......still need to pick up the brake cooling duct kit.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2012, 08:49:37 PM »
Well, Karaya, what other factors should they take into consideration in a track test of "pony cars" and their relative performance?

The A/C? The aesthetics of the interior design? How many stations you can get on the stereo? The grade of leather used on the seats?

It was a performance test..... you know, who wins the race. When it comes to performance, lap times are really all that matter, IMHO. Otherwise, what's the damned point?

they're a track test of street cars, so really, all of what you mentioned does matter.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2012, 08:55:01 PM »
I had a headache too, Canadian Club gave it a few whacks, and it's gone. And I'm happy now!  :D

:cheers:

mine aren't from anything fun. i get these once in awhile still. i used to get them every week, and then every night. it was due to tension at work. i actually quit a job because of them. everyone told my i was nuts, and wrong. yet when i quit, almost instantly, the headaches stopped.
 this one was caused because i had a pretty tense week......been stressing because it's slow, and been stressing over dropping one bit of advertising, and signing up on a different type...which came highly recommended by another shop.

top that off with the fact that although it's slow, i just signed the papers to purchase $10k worth of alignment equipment. now i know that may not seem like much to you guys.....but to me still being somewhat new, that is a LOT.
 so a lot of stress this week, equals massive headache today.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2012, 08:59:21 PM »

gonna ask a stupid question. who is dave hill?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"