Author Topic: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 vs Ford Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca  (Read 2800 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 vs Ford Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca
« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2012, 10:23:05 AM »
They never stopped naming a car in their line-up "Mustang" but that 4-cylinder crap-box from the '70's never deserved to be called that.

no, it didn't......but then again, the 70's corvettes, and camaros never deserved those names either.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2012, 10:24:09 AM »
They just puttered along with so so hp untill the V6 camaro came along putting out almost the same HP as the mustang GT.

annnnd the reason it came back? thanks to the mustang still being in production, and being popular.

you're welcome.  :devil
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2012, 10:29:31 AM »
no, it didn't......but then again, the 70's corvettes, and camaros never deserved those names either.

They may have been strangled with smog equipment, but they still had V8's....  :D
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2012, 10:40:51 AM »
They may have been strangled with smog equipment, but they still had V8's....  :D
   so did the pinto-stangs.  :neener:
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2012, 10:58:07 AM »
annnnd the reason it came back? thanks to the mustang still being in production, and being popular.

you're welcome.  :devil

Since camaro has been back it has outsold mustang. :)
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2012, 11:03:07 AM »
Since camaro has been back it has outsold mustang. :)

not last month it ididn't.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2012, 11:04:57 AM »
eh, shows what I know about Ferds... I thought the little pony lost the v8 for a few years.  :headscratch:

But at least the Bowties looked good while they were going slow!  :neener:
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2012, 12:05:48 PM »
Mustangs and Camaros both gorgeous and very good cars.  This coming from a MOPAR guy no less.
I've learned to appreciate all vehicles.  It started during the 50s, the decade imho that automobiles
were just absolutely gorgeous.  They were individual in design.  Chrome....57 Chevy introduced fuel injection
to the family truckster Dad could buy at the dealership.  The early Thunderbirds which were twice the
car of the early Corvettes.  The timeless classics 55 thru 58 Chevys'.  I loved the 57 Ford...my Dad had one.
Hemis were in DeSotos and Chryslers in general.  Garlits threw a 355 DeSoto Hemi in his first rail.
The 50s' started it all for american automakers and purchasers and for the guys that raced street and strip.

My brother and I would play a game while traveling with the family.  name the car first and you won a point.
All brands were quite distinctive.

Now......I generally say..."what the hell is that?"  For the most part they all look alike.
We now can identify without any delay a Challenger, a Mustang, and a Camaro.  It's about dam time!

I'm a kid again back in the 60s driving the same dam way....in a car that can make the road thunder and smoke.

Another thing I like about my MOPAR.  It is not over produced. They only make about 40K Challengers a year.
Makes it a nice investment.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 12:10:22 PM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2012, 12:08:09 PM »
not last month it ididn't.

Your correct last month it did not. :)

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206620

Since 2009 3 or 4 months mustang had more sales. :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2012, 12:42:13 PM »
Mustangs and Camaros both gorgeous and very good cars.  This coming from a MOPAR guy no less.
I've learned to appreciate all vehicles.  It started during the 50s, the decade imho that automobiles
were just absolutely gorgeous.  They were individual in design.  Chrome....57 Chevy introduced fuel injection
to the family truckster Dad could buy at the dealership.  The early Thunderbirds which were twice the
car of the early Corvettes.  The timeless classics 55 thru 58 Chevys'.  I loved the 57 Ford...my Dad had one.
Hemis were in DeSotos and Chryslers in general.  Garlits threw a 355 DeSoto Hemi in his first rail.
The 50s' started it all for american automakers and purchasers and for the guys that raced street and strip.

My brother and I would play a game while traveling with the family.  name the car first and you won a point.
All brands were quite distinctive.

Now......I generally say..."what the hell is that?"  For the most part they all look alike.
We now can identify without any delay a Challenger, a Mustang, and a Camaro.  It's about dam time!

I'm a kid again back in the 60s driving the same dam way....in a car that can make the road thunder and smoke.

Another thing I like about my MOPAR.  It is not over produced. They only make about 40K Challengers a year.
Makes it a nice investment.

buddy of mine had a 57 fairlane with a 390 and trips. was a 10.90 street car, although he gave up a lot in my opinion to go that fast.

his brother foolishly sold off their fathers 427 galaxy
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2012, 12:47:03 PM »
I remember when my brother bought a brand new 1988 5.0 Mustang LX. It was faster than the the GT and the Z28. At the time, I owned a 1986 Shelby GLHS. The ass-whoopin' the Shelby gave the mid 80s Vettes and pony cars was epic. 0-60 in 6 seconds. 1/4 mile in the low 14s. .94g lateral acceleration, and braking distances 30 feet shorter than Mustang, with zero fade (the Mustang's brakes would fade badly). Several years later, we pulled the 175 hp 2.3 liter and swapped in a 220 hp 2.5 liter. A close ratio gear box kept the power in the meat of the curve. Konis were standard. 205/50-15 Gatorbacks too. There's not many left of the original 500 built, but you can still find some doing SCCA SOLO events.

While it was simply one of the fastest, quickest and best handling cars sold in this country at the time, it was a complete disaster in terms of reliability. Head gaskets.... I think I replaced 3 of them. Fuel pumps would have the pick-up fall off (safety wired hardware to cure). Turbo seals were poor... I replaced the turbo twice. It also suffered from an intermittent dead short in the main wiring harness. Eventually, I replaced the entire harness (special order, not inexpensive). The upgrade to the 2.5 liter cured the head gasket woes, and pushed down the 0-60 times into the middle 5 second range. Pretty peppy for 1990....

However, when it was running,  :O  God help the Corvette, Camaro or Mustang driver who thought his factory stock car was fast..... More recently, I owned a WRX. The GLHS was quicker, and better handling (much less understeer). OTOH, the WRX was reliable and vastly more drivable on a daily basis. You'd have to buy an Mitsu Evo or and STI to go faster than the GLHS, and only marginally so.... The GLHS was the Viper ACR of its day.

Edit: I found this website by a current owner of a GLHS... Minor re-tuning resulted in a 12 second 1/4 mile.... Not bad for a four door, four banger that's based on the old Omni....
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 01:10:43 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2012, 01:34:35 PM »
buddy of mine had a 57 fairlane with a 390 and trips. was a 10.90 street car, although he gave up a lot in my opinion to go that fast.

We had a Galaxy 500 ran like a scalded cat.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2012, 01:54:17 PM »
We had a Galaxy 500 ran like a scalded cat.

my 64 ragtop did too. had a 392 in it single 4bbl. it never ceased to amaze me how fast that landyaght would get to speed. some old guy came up my driveway one day while i was working on the mustang, and asked me if it was for sale. at first i said no. then he hit the right number.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2012, 02:50:18 PM »

If I remember correctly our 57 Fairlane had a 321 cu. in. V8.  Had "Thunderbird" on the valve covers.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #119 on: March 12, 2012, 02:54:07 PM »
If I remember correctly our 57 Fairlane had a 321 cu. in. V8.  Had "Thunderbird" on the valve covers.

hiw wasn't stock. it's also the one that he launched chunks of the 9" ring gear out the back end of the diff housing. it was a nasty, scary fast car.......and friggin beautiful too.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"