Author Topic: Pilot and Co-Pilot are incompacitated....  (Read 2957 times)

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
Re: Pilot and Co-Pilot are incompacitated....
« Reply #150 on: March 14, 2012, 06:59:40 PM »
The limit for a  crosswind landing is the airplane's demonstrated crosswind capability, which is published in the pilots operating handbook (POH).
I'm with Golfer on this one. The demonstrated crosswind capability is one thing. The actual crosswind component is quite another. The aircraft I fly has a demonstrated crosswind component of 15 knots. In reality the actual crosswind component is about 22 knots. It could be higher but that is the point I ran out of control authority and it got to be lots of fun.

You really have to remember is that the manual is partly the limit the test pilot flew it too and partly the limit the lawyers allow it to be.

Before you condemm me as a maniac pilot, remember this. I know the airplane and with 800 hours on the thing and I had the option of a go around right up to flare. If it felt bad I was gone to the nearest alternate.  But for the most part I never left the ground in the first place.

So dont get carried away believing the manual or the FAA.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #151 on: March 14, 2012, 07:33:54 PM »
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #152 on: March 14, 2012, 09:30:44 PM »
Every landing I make is essentially a soft field landing. I hold the yoke all the way back until the nose wheel settles down.
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #153 on: March 14, 2012, 09:37:16 PM »
Hello, down there?  It's us, up here?  Down there?  Hello?  Hello?
Let go of the button you moron!  Let go!

Anyone remember those lines?

-Penguin

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #154 on: March 14, 2012, 10:04:12 PM »
Golfer is right (not that he needed to hear it from me to know) the maximum demonstrated crosswind component is as golfer said, just a demonstration. I've landed my skyhawk with more than double the demonstrated xwind component.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #155 on: March 15, 2012, 10:01:03 AM »
My comment earlier was a response to the "rudder authority" quip earlier in the thread.

Rudder authority alone does not determine maximum crosswind component of an airplane by itself.

I was also talking about the physics of landing and not regulations and basic physics understanding has served me well flying since 1983.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #156 on: March 15, 2012, 12:42:20 PM »
He fly's, he drives, he builds... family in the CIA and Navy intel on Dogfights.

Is there anything in existance your not in some way at the forefront of icepac?

:banana:
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

HOST: HiTech Shot Down Skyyr Kill#1

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #157 on: March 15, 2012, 01:00:58 PM »
Sure........got to crawl in a B29, sit in a P51 mustang, witness a B2 flybay (twice), hang out with team audi's Lemans team, and drive fast cars on the space shuttle landing facility two days ago.

I've spent most of my life moving myself and my career toward what I enjoy and am now reaping the benefits.

Sitting on the couch watching reruns of "Absolutely Fabulous" won't get you there........it requires a lifetime of working as well as cultivating connections.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 01:19:37 PM by icepac »