Author Topic: Tank Clinic coming soon  (Read 1496 times)

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
Tank Clinic coming soon
« on: March 08, 2012, 07:13:19 PM »
Every few months I put together a tank clinic, idea is to get players the right tools and tricks to help them take a leap into tanking, I am going to shoot for Saturday or Sunday to run it, most likely 5-6pm EST and it will run around an hour or more.

If your interested just drop a line down here, and ill try to get everyone situated and setup so we can start.

I'm going to cover a wide range of basic tools to understand tanking on offense, defense and how to setup your game to get the maximum performance out of it.

It will not make you an Ace over night, the idea is to give you some tools so you can get more confident and tank more often.

cheers,
butcher
JG 52

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Re: Tank Clinic coming soon
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 07:55:07 PM »
Thanks Butcher,

I'm totally clueless when it comes to GV's  :joystick: so I will try and make this.

I need to get a clue with the Winter Sky scenario up coming.  :x

:cheers:
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 08:57:13 PM »
I'm in  :aok

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 10:02:25 PM »
Butcher, what are you planning on teaching them exactly?
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 07:20:15 AM »
Butcher, what are you planning on teaching them exactly?

I'm going to cover a wide range of basic tools to understand tanking on offense, defense and how to setup your game to get the maximum performance out of it.

1. setting up sounds - most have no sound pack and couldn't tell the difference between two tanks starting up
2. sounds in game - i can hear a tank 3k away and identify it and which direction its going
3. basic understanding of armor
4. offensive tactics
5. defensive tactics
JG 52

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 07:42:14 AM »
First thing I need everyone that does NOT have a sound pack, is to download mine for an example to get an understanding of why its important to have a sound pack. This is a quick download less then 6MB, if you are unhappy with it or want another, we have plenty of sound packs in the Custom Skins and sound packs on the BBS, many quality sound packs are available from Twinboom, Mitsu, Ranger and etc. The reason my sound pack is not hosted is I customized mine from a collection of sound packs, very few of my sounds are authentic so I don't host it, I give credit mainly to twinboom for my sound pack, although I did chop up a bunch of packs and put this one together.

Here's a quick link to download it:
www.367thdynamitegang.com/upload/butcher-tanksounds.rar

You need an RAR program like WinRAR to unzip this pack, WINrar is free and easy to use, when you are done installing it simply double click on this file and extract it into your Aces High / sounds folder. IF you need help with this, let me know there's a few people that had trouble with it in the past and I'd like to get people set up with this (it can be a challenge) to someone who lacks understanding of windows Explore. Don't get frustrated though.

Basically this file contains all the sounds for every GV in game. The basic idea is every tank is unique in a sound perspective, understanding the identification is almost like RADAR, you can figure out what kind of vehicle is starting up, and what range.

It does take time to understand this, after years of doing it I can finally use this information like radar, explaining what range and type of tank it is.

Note:
In a situation where there's more then one tank, this is where it gets tough, you have to use line of sight (LOS) to get a visual on whats in your area.

Also cooperation between friendlies is almost a requirement, since you dont know if most friendlies have a sound pack - simply asking them to "shut down" their engine helps both you and the friendlies track the enemy a little better, some might rely on your ability to track enemy tanks in helping them get into position.

Now the biggest key will be setting up those sounds, which I will do in the clinic because frankly I would be alt tabbing for 30 minutes writing down what needs to be changed.

Basically the sound settings in GAME also have to be changed, they can be done in two ways that I have it figured out: one for fighters/bombers and one for ground vehicles, setting it up correctly helps a player identify and track a tank in game - this is one reason the sound pack is so important - if all tanks sound the same, you might end up trying to have a "good, bad and ugly" shoot out with a king tiger while in a M4(75) - identifying him with a sound pack gives an advantage as you know you can't simply start shooting at him from 2k out hoping for a kill, if his engines running then he can't hear you - giving you the advantage that you picked him up FIRST, and you are first to act.

First to act in a general rule also means first to shoot, given a few advantages it can go a very long way.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 07:46:35 AM by Butcher »
JG 52

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 01:49:08 PM »
 :salute i will try and make it.

Offline Orbitson

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 03:04:15 PM »
I am interested and plan to be there.  Have you confirmed a day and time?
Syd*****Flying with The Floyd
By the way which one is Pink?

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 03:22:35 PM »
I am interested and plan to be there.  Have you confirmed a day and time?

I'd like to shoot for Saturday at 5pm-6pm EST I will also host it sunday if anyone misses it.
JG 52

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 05:56:56 PM »
Butcher, you should include the use of terrain and cover as a whole seperate unit. I always felt that most people were lacking not in tactics, but in SA, and recognition of likely cover.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 06:11:45 PM »
Sounds like fun I'm in  :aok

Offline MutleyBR

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 07:43:55 PM »
 In!   :aok  :salute

Mutley
"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan properly."
Nick Lapos, chief R&D pilot, Sikorsky Aircraft

"To go up, pull the stick. To go down, pull the stick back harder..."

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 06:59:09 AM »
 :salute crap supposed to have thundar storms all weeken in oklahoma, most likly will not be there. any chance you can gilm it and post on you tube? i would rather be there in person but who knows. weather in oklahoma supposed to change by the hour as the local custom goes. good luck anyhow.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 10:41:24 AM »

I'd like to shoot for Saturday at 5pm-6pm EST I will also host it sunday if anyone misses it.

Saturday works for me. Where?
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 10:57:40 AM »
While this isn't an official AHTrainer event, I'll be there to help police and herd the cats.

Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!