Author Topic: Are my FPS right?  (Read 4421 times)

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
Re: Are my FPS right?
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2012, 03:25:51 PM »
Ok, done exactly what you asked, Skuzzy, and here are the results!

Pre alt-tabbing: forward 89/90 fps, back 73/74;

post alt-tabbing: forward 88/89 fps, back 72/73.

Do you think that, if I mess around again with CCC I'll go back to before? Or should it be safe, now?

Btw, thanks, now I'm satisfied! ;)
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2012, 03:52:12 PM »
Gian,
so you are back to the 12.1 drivers right now? and are using all default settings in CCC ?  ( which means for the most part is that everything is set to "use application settings"  for most everything )

this is how I am reading your above post

also, are you using the 8192  or the 4096  shadow textures with the above results?   edit:  and those are with vsync disabled, correct?

<S>

TC

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2012, 04:20:26 PM »
Ok, done exactly what you asked, Skuzzy, and here are the results!

Pre alt-tabbing: forward 89/90 fps, back 73/74;

post alt-tabbing: forward 88/89 fps, back 72/73.

Do you think that, if I mess around again with CCC I'll go back to before? Or should it be safe, now?

Btw, thanks, now I'm satisfied! ;)

That is with the "video8.cfg" file removed?

That is just wrong.  I am getting better frame rates on an old 7900GT video card.  My lowly ATI 4850, at home, gets nearly 200FPS in this test.  You should be getting hundreds of frames a second with the default settings for the game and the video card.

Something is seriously wrong here.  Are you running the debug DirectX installation?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 04:29:22 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2012, 06:36:58 PM »
My lowly ATI 4850, at home, gets nearly 200FPS in this test.

in 1080 res?
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2012, 06:48:33 PM »
That is with the "video8.cfg" file removed?

That is just wrong.  I am getting better frame rates on an old 7900GT video card.  My lowly ATI 4850, at home, gets nearly 200FPS in this test.  You should be getting hundreds of frames a second with the default settings for the game and the video card.

Something is seriously wrong here.  Are you running the debug DirectX installation?

Wait, the results are with the Catalyst default settings, I put AH settings as they were in the picture I posted before, plus the "enable ground clutter" checked. Right after removing the video8.cfg file and resetting the CCC, my fps were in the thousands, IIRC.

I went online, before, all maxed out, in LateMA, Baltic map, about 200 people, ping was 180/200, Vsync enabled and I got a stable 59/60.

TC, I didn't reinstall 12.1, just reset the CCC options to default.

EDIT: Sorry, Skuzzy, this time it's really my fault, I didn't read well! :P

Oh, btw, testing was done with 2.27.3, while online, obviously, I played with 2.27.4.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 07:06:08 PM by Gianlupo »
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2012, 07:02:27 PM »
after seeing this

Patch is great for me but I've been having two issues that I've just tried to avoid to keep the issues down.

1- I get hella lag when I am close to a smoke plume.  So for example,  if I chase someone down onto a base and ...lets say the VH is down and smoking.  I get a lag pause when I get near the plume.  Its not drastic but its not something you can chase someone through a guns solution with (I've been trying to set myself up to not chase through solutions around smoke).

2- When I use a whirblewind even with tracers off I get laggy when Im spraying and praying (i've been just using osties).

Anyone have any ideas on what I could change to impact those problems?

I ran a quick test..
same default settings, I spawn a whirle north at A1 and stabilize at 135fps

I fire and keep the trigger on until it stabilizes, 100fps

dunno if that means anything tho.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2012, 06:07:42 AM »
in 1080 res?

1600x1200 (slightly less pixel count)

I get:

230FPS front
215FPS rear

Ok Gian, the problem seems to lie with forcing the highest quality AA mode.  I'd like to see what the frame rates are using each notch of the AA mode, from performance to highest quality.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 06:11:05 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2012, 06:38:09 AM »

Ok Gian, the problem seems to lie with forcing the highest quality AA mode.  I'd like to see what the frame rates are using each notch of the AA mode, from performance to highest quality.

Change the AA mode setting in CCC to Performance instead of Quality ...

:D

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2012, 08:28:10 AM »
What I would like to find is the breaking point.  What is making the most impact.

We know AA settings will have the greatest impact, but we do not know at what point and in what combination it becomes tought to keep the game playable.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2012, 08:39:20 AM »
After all these tests smoke seems to have a really bad effect on my FPS, I don't remember suffering from it prior to patch 3. Is the patch 2 version of the game still available for download?
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2012, 08:46:01 AM »
After all these tests smoke seems to have a really bad effect on my FPS, I don't remember suffering from it prior to patch 3. Is the patch 2 version of the game still available for download?

No, and none of the particle effects were altered for any of the patches.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2012, 09:15:47 AM »
Ok I guess my pc just sucks, and that I need a core i7 and a 7970 to run the game smooth at default settings in the MA.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2012, 09:25:46 AM »
Ok I guess my pc just sucks, and that I need a core i7 and a 7970 to run the game smooth at default settings in the MA.

Never said that.  My system, at home, is not state of the art (E8500 with an ATI4850) and has no troubles running the game smoothly at the default settings.  If I recall, you have a 6850 video card.  It should run the game (at reasonable resolutions, not 3 screens), with the default settings, and little to no AA, just fine.

A lot of my performance comes from running a very clean system.  No anti-xxxx software, no software firewall, no Apple software, and so on.  I also do not run the ATI Catalyst Control Center, which gives my system an instant 10 to 15 percent boost in performance over those who run it.

I run all my driver settings at defaults.  I could probably turn on some of the advanced options, but I prefer smooth game play over eye candy.

Did my performance drop when we released 2.27?  Yes, it did.  About a 10% drop.  That was expected.

The biggest single misunderstanding people have is the graphics of the game.  People like to compare Aces High to games with a 1 or 2 mile (if that) view distance.  Aces High draws everything (you see on the screen) in a 17 mile radius from your point in the world.  The number of polys drawn is significant, as compared to those games with short view distances.  It takes a lot more video processing power to digest that many polys.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 09:33:29 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2012, 09:48:17 AM »
Never said that.  My system, at home, is not state of the art (E8500 with an ATI4850) and has no troubles running the game smoothly at the default settings.  If I recall, you have a 6850 video card.  It should run the game, with the default settings, and little to no AA, just fine.

I have a 6870 with a 10% stock clock increase. Did you try getting online at prime time with your system? You may have surprises

A lot of my performance comes from running a very clean system.  No anti-xxxx software, no software firewall, no Apple software, and so on.  I also do not run the ATI Catalyst Control Center, which gives my system an instant 10 to 15 percent boost in performance over those who run it.

same here but I run win7, less than 50 processes

I run all my driver settings at defaults.  I could probably turn on some of the advanced options, but I prefer smooth game play over eye candy.

driver settings are application controlled, except mipmap that is maxed, but doesn't impacts much anyway

Did my performance drop when we released 2.27?  Yes, it did.  About a 10% drop.  That was expected.

wait does that mean that even if I disable all the bump maps I will get a 10% hit?

The biggest single misunderstanding people have is the graphics of the game.  People like to compare Aces High to games with a 1 or 2 mile (if that) view distance.  Aces High draws everything in a 17 mile radius from your point in the world.  The number of polys drawn is significant, as compared to those games with short view distances.  It takes a lot more video processing power to digest that many polys.

maybe, but even when I had a radeon 5770 I played with all distances maxed! Now I upgraded the video, and got 4gb of extra RAM, clocked at 1600 instead of 1333, and the performance is worst? I don't buy it. Or maybe as you said before regardless of the graphic options the game is 10% heavier.

Also I tried going online with the default settings that my computer chews offline, and same thing the gaming experience in big fights was pretty bad. I'm like you I prefer smoothness over graphics, but now I can't even achieve that!

« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 09:51:17 AM by Noir »
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2012, 10:46:36 AM »
Yes, performance dropped a bit for 2.27.

Why your 6870 cannot run the game smoothly at default driver and game settings does not make sense to me.  In a crowd, my 4850 drops to around 80 to 100 FPS.

Your system is unique in all the systems I can find using a 6870.  No one else has any complaints about performance, using a 6870 card.  Your system RAM performance is irrelevant.  The video RAM is more important.  Not the amount, but the speed of it.

If you still have that 5870, it would be interesting to see what it does now as compared to the 6870.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese