Author Topic: Are my FPS right?  (Read 4425 times)

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
Are my FPS right?
« on: March 11, 2012, 12:48:20 PM »
Hi there guys!

After a long time, I assembled a new pc. I have an i7-2600k, with 8 GB of RAM and a Radeon HD 7970 (<-- fastest single GPU videocard on the market, right now, or so they say).... so, imagine my surprise when I downloaded AH again (v. 2.27.3) and, after maxing out everything, I can get at top 50 fps!

Honestly, despite the latest improvements, AH doesn't strike me as a resource hungry game, I thought my new pc could run it without any problem at max detail. So, the question is, is it normal or there's something wrong with my configuration (at hardware or software level)?
Live to fly, fly to live!

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Are my FPS right?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 01:14:26 PM »
Shadows and anti-alisin will eat FR fast. I don't remember what the setting Skuzzy quoted but it wasn't much as far as anti-alisin goes and it called for more than a Gig of video memory. They also added ground clutter and that will push a video card as well.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 01:26:59 PM »
Heya Gian,

good to see you back

I myself have an Intel i7-2600k with 16 GB of PC12800 DDR3 ram, an XFX 6950 2 GB VC, os is win7ult 64bit SP1  on a Crucial CT128M4SSD2  SATA III 128 GB SSD ( also have Aces High on this SSD as well, I was running 2 of these is RAID 0 mode, but it barely increased performance to where it was real noticeable )

as for the latest patch, I actually had to back off of my maxed out settings in graphics some....... patch 2  I saw no problems what so ever even with ground clutter enabled during flight, I stayed maxed out on my 1920 x 1200 res on my 28"  16:10  monitor...  when patch 3 recently came out I would hit certian areas to where I took major hits to my fps dropping down from the regular maxed 60/59 fps to down in the 24 to 38 fps range........  also external guns / flack or ackack bursts etc would cause my fps to drop ( I use stock sounds from the AH game only )

edit: I still see some fps drop when some external sounds from planes, bombs, guns, etc go off from others around me, but all the other stuff regarding advanced graphics settings is ok since I backed them off in CCC.................. I also am using an ASUS Xonar DS  soundcard ........ instead of the onboard soundchip of my ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe  MB........

backing down my AA and other settings in ATI CCC allowed me to get back to a rock solid 59/60 fps

so something has changed or is making the VC take a significant hit on the fps with patch 3......  I am using the 12.1 Cat drivers

my Logitech G510 keyboard has a LCD monitor window that shows me that my i7-2600K is only going up to around 33% CPU load and my RAM is only around 26 to 30 %  load while playing

nothing is overclocked, all set at factory clock settings right now

patch 2 had no problems performance wise,  patch 3 gives me a big performance hit if I try to max everything out like I had in patch 2....... ( talking about maxing everything out in ATI CCC  only, in the game I still have everything maxed out and all boxes checked or turned on all features/advance features/graphics  with shadow textures still set to 4096  and I use the high res pkg also )

hope this helps

<S>

TC
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 02:17:21 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 04:53:27 PM »
Hey TC, Fugitive!

Good to see you guys! :)

I'm not back, but now I have a new pc and I want to check the game again, after more than a year hyatus... who knows, maybe I'll subscribe again!

TC, thanks, it looks like it may be patch 3 that has some performance issue (at least, I hope so! :D); I didn't see much CPU or RAM usage, too, about the same level you have, and I'm running Cat 12.1, too; I experience, more or less, the same things you see; I had CCC configured to override applications preferences, turning that option off helped me gaining some fps, but, still, I expected a steady 60 (with Vsync enabled).

I just downloaded 12.2, gonna install them, if I see better performance, I'll tell you!

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 06:31:39 PM »
welcome to the club of people who lost FPS's after the last patch.

I've reduced visual details with no real effect, and posted a bug report there http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,330019.0.html
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 06:33:11 PM by Noir »
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 06:08:35 AM »
Ok, it's clear it's a patch issue, not my pc: thanks for reassuring me, guys! ;)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 06:18:26 AM »
I'd like to see a DXDIAG ouput.  Did the frame rate pretty much stay at 50 and not fluctuate?  Was vsync disabled, or enabled?

As far as reources go, the game can easily chew through 1.5GB of video RAM, depending on your configuration.  Reported video RAM usage for Windows 7 and Vista is not correct.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 06:21:37 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 07:47:22 AM »
did you guys try the 12.2 catalyst that just came out?
now posting as SirNuke

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 08:02:24 AM »
did you guys try the 12.2 catalyst that just came out?
yes it gave me blue screens of death and system crashes on BFBC2 and sometimes on aces high.
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 08:12:29 AM »
I'd like to see a DXDIAG ouput.  Did the frame rate pretty much stay at 50 and not fluctuate?  Was vsync disabled, or enabled?

Vsync was enabled and frame rate wasn't steady, it fluctuated. 50 was top. At first I played with CCC settings overriding game settings and I had 13 to 26 fps (I just downloaded the game, the only map I have is NDIsles, I flew at A1, with drones and ack firing); when I disabled the override in CCC, I got about 35 to 42, with about 50 at top (I flew even over Bishop city). As for the DXGDIAG, sorry, I can't post it anymore because yesterday, just before going to bed, I updated to Catalyst 12.2, so it would be meaningless, now (or so I think).

I made a very quick try with the new drivers and, sitting on runway at A1, I got 59/60 when looking away from ack and drones, 41/43 when they were into the picture. This evening I'll try it more deeply.

As far as reources go, the game can easily chew through 1.5GB of video RAM, depending on your configuration.  Reported video RAM usage for Windows 7 and Vista is not correct.

Ok, it seemed too much: I have 3 GB and it shows me about 2.7 used.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 08:33:06 AM »
Cataylst Control Center appears to reserve about 300MB of video RAM, and then there is space reserved for the Windows Aero desktop.  If you were using 2.7GB, I would kick the anti-aliasing down a notch or two and see what that does.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 11:10:25 AM »
Also, I need a baseline to work with.  

1) Disable vsync in the "Video Options".
2) Go offline, using the ndisles terrain.
3) Go to field V2 and sit in the tower.
4) Put down the clipboard.
5) Record the frame rate looking forward and back.
6) alt-tab out and back in
7) Record the frame rate looking forward and back.

Post up the results.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 11:34:22 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 11:23:15 AM »
You might post your catalyst 3D settings too. Some of them really hurt your frame rate.

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 11:27:27 AM »
5) Record the frame rate looking forward and back.

From tower or from a vehicle?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 11:33:37 AM »
From tower or from a vehicle?

Sorry, from the tower.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese