Author Topic: Collisions  (Read 12196 times)

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
Re: Collisions
« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2012, 01:38:14 PM »
Soviet pilots regularly employed ramming and used their props to chop up enemy control surfaces.... because that's how Russians roll.
In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #91 on: April 04, 2012, 01:40:47 PM »
I would penalise that player for participating in, and possibly CAUSING (intentionally or not) -A- collision ... He put himself INTO that position and accepted the known risk ... a collision occurs ... he goes down too.

If you want to postulate he was BEING rammed, maybe trying to avoid, and NOT making a CHOICE to participate ... it's also really simple ... He FAILED.

SOMEBODY is always going to complain ... I can't eliminate that ... But MY WAY does eliminate the GAMEY use of this factor as a weapon and DISCOURAGES any behavior that LEADS to collisions. It's also (IMHO) more realistic.
:salute

Skuzzy, Hitech... permission to post Tec's Collision flowchart.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #92 on: April 04, 2012, 01:42:06 PM »
I would penalise that player for participating in, and possibly CAUSING (intentionally or not) -A- collision ... He put himself INTO that position and accepted the known risk ... a collision occurs ... he goes down too.

If you want to postulate he was BEING rammed, maybe trying to avoid, and NOT making a CHOICE to participate ... it's also really simple ... He FAILED.

SOMEBODY is always going to complain ... I can't eliminate that ... But MY WAY does eliminate the GAMEY use of this factor as a weapon and DISCOURAGES any behavior that LEADS to collisions. It's also (IMHO) more realistic.

To paraphrase, you wish to fly past another plane, intentionally miss that plane by 100 ft, and then explode do to a collision?

HiTech

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #93 on: April 04, 2012, 02:19:42 PM »
To paraphrase, you wish to fly past another plane, intentionally miss that plane by 100 ft, and then explode do to a collision?
HiTech
That's at least pretty close to what takes place when causing an intentional collision, that the perpetrator NOW survives ... I don't think they should.
Do you ?
I am my Ideal ! - You may now return to your petty bickering.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #94 on: April 04, 2012, 02:22:12 PM »
Why would you want to penalize a player for not colliding?  Doesn't make for very good game mechanics and game play.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Zodiac

• Copper Member
« Reply #95 on: April 04, 2012, 02:24:55 PM »

:huh The model you are proposing is infinitely more 'gamey' than what we have now. If everyone is getting towered due to collisions that never happened on their end, how long do you think they are going to keep subscribing? Is what we have perfect? No. Will any collision model ever be perfect? Not until someone figures a way to eliminate latency from the internet. Is the flight model we have the best model possible at this time for playability? Absolutely, I don't want to explode because you saw a collision on your computer that I avoided by 100 feet on mine. Scientific Method:Form a theory, and then do everything you can to find holes in your theory and to prove that it will not work. If it holds up to your scrutiny, then propose it to others for them to try and find holes in it.
Member DFC
Quote from: Skuzzy
No cookie for you.
Quote from: Wiley
If they want to run to their ack or friendlies that's fine.  It's up to me to catch them and not get killed in the process if I can.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #96 on: April 04, 2012, 02:25:49 PM »
That's at least pretty close to what takes place when causing an intentional collision, that the perpetrator NOW survives ... I don't think they should.
Do you ?

To again be clear , YOU want YOUR plane to NOT touch another plane, and then blow up even though YOU intentionally maneuvered so that you would not hit the other plane?

This is not a pretty close question, this is a YES or NO , that is how you wish the game to work in the future.

HiTech

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #97 on: April 04, 2012, 02:39:41 PM »
He's asking for the game to determine the INTENT of every player and penalize someone who INTENTIONALLY causes someone else's front-end to detect a collision while they themselves avoided it and fly away with no damage. In that case, the perpetrator (who didn't actually collide) would blow up.

The question is: how does the game determine INTENT?
The other question is: why not fly to avoid collisions?

I myself have never collided and taken damage where it wasn't partly my fault.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #98 on: April 04, 2012, 03:59:28 PM »
This is not a pretty close question, this is a YES or NO , that is how you wish the game to work in the future.
HiTech
I think I made it pretty clear ... Not sure why you need to make it a YES or NO? ... Yes ... If my participation results in a collision that causes someone else to crash, I should crash too. I may have avoided the actual contact but I was as much a part of the process that created the collision as the other guy ... and in the future I'd better make sure it doesn't happen if I don't want to crash again. Apply that collision model to EVERYONE playing the game and collisions will become a LOT less frequent.
:rock

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #99 on: April 04, 2012, 04:11:50 PM »
if I go to the trouble of successfully avoiding a collision, I dont think its fair that I should take damage as you suggest.

I prefer it how it is now, where if I go to the trouble of successfully avoiding a collision, I dont take damage.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #100 on: April 04, 2012, 04:12:13 PM »
He's asking for the game to determine the INTENT
No... I'm asking for the game to ignore intent completely and operate strictly on the basis of results ... A collision occurs, YOU do NOT escape and survive ...

I myself have never collided and taken damage where it wasn't partly my fault.
And it's unlikely anyone ELSE has ever collided with you and taken damage when it wasn't "partly your fault." You participated in the event, you pay the price for the result ... REGARDLESS of your intent.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #101 on: April 04, 2012, 04:14:21 PM »
I'm asking for the game to ignore intent completely and operate strictly on the basis of results ... A collision occurs, YOU do NOT escape and survive ...

thats how it works now.

do you understand that in a 1v1 theres 4 aircraft?
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #102 on: April 04, 2012, 04:23:11 PM »
thats how it works now.

do you understand that in a 1v1 theres 4 aircraft?

Easy, Holmes.

You will make his head explode.

Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #103 on: April 04, 2012, 04:23:26 PM »
Guys, I think you're missing the point.  EVZ is one of those guys that (I think) understands how it works, he would just be happier having his plane blow up when the other guy hits him, even though on his end, he's yards away from a collision.

I don't understand the mentality, but I had a squaddie who felt the same way.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #104 on: April 04, 2012, 04:26:36 PM »
if I go to the trouble of successfully avoiding a collision, I dont think its fair that I should take damage as you suggest.
But you see you DIDN'T avoid a collision, you participated in one, YOUR plane WAS collided with, just not on YOUR front end. You quite possibly CAUSED it to occur (even if unintentionally) ... you just got away with it ...