Author Topic: Collisions  (Read 12178 times)

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Collisions
« Reply #165 on: April 06, 2012, 03:30:10 PM »
How old is the film? Currently the "You have collided" will show in the film, in previous versions it would not.

If you didn't collide, that leaves only 1 choice, the bullets hit you.

HiTech

It's about an hour old

I would have thought if his bullets hit me there would be hit sprites on my plane even if it looks like he doesn't have an angle on my FE...?

For example on those occasions when there is a bit of lag in the DA and the hits seem to come a few seconds after you think you are clear of their guns, you still hear the pings and see the hit sprites :headscratch:

« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 03:34:57 PM by coombz »
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #166 on: April 06, 2012, 03:34:08 PM »
from his front end he most likely had the angle. He held his path a long time waiting for you to cross. With the delay of you getting the damage I'm thinking there was a pretty good bit of lag there as well (he was 200 past you when the collision message came up).

Online Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #167 on: April 06, 2012, 03:48:39 PM »
See rule #4
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 04:02:54 PM by hitech »
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline lengro

• Silver Member
« Reply #168 on: April 06, 2012, 04:29:46 PM »
It's beyond me why people effectively wishes for a collision model, where they pass an enemy plane in a good safe distance, and then suddenly explodes.

Don't change the current model.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!" Tuco - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #169 on: April 06, 2012, 05:49:29 PM »
Obviously you do not really wish to accept the fact , that it is absolutely impossible to model the real world with respect to collisions.
Fact Accepted, I just think it's POSSIBLE to approximate the reality of a midair collision, rather than invent a consensual convenience.

You wish that a plane that does not touch anything be damaged in a collision.
On one front end the plane did PLENTY of touching ... Penalty called ... Here's an interesting inconsistency ... If I shoot the plane down on MY front end ... it dies ... what he sees on HIS front end doesn't matter. If I COLLIDE with his plane on my front end ... Well ...  he really isn't THERE under that circumstance.

So I can only see a few possibilities for your thought process. 1. You wish to ignore the realities of time lag. 2. You do not understand the realities of time lag.
are we back to calling it lag again ...? I think the SAME standards should be applied to COLLISION LAG as are applied to SHOOT DOWN LAG ... is that any more comprehensible ? It's consistant.

4. You die a lot in collisions, and wish to try hide your true motive of just wishing the other guy would die also. 5. You die a lot in collisions, but always think it is the other guys fault, and hence he should die also.
I seldom have collisions anymore ... I consider that everyone participating in an encouter that results in anyone colliding is responsible and should suffer the same penalty.

6. You wish to be intentionally obtuse and are just trolling.
I'm not being any more obtuse than the people who disagree with me.

7. You do understand, but you do not have the ability to view how other people would react from dieing when they did not collide with anything.
I have plenty of imagination, evidently you do too.

8. You are a progressive, and believe just because you wish it so, it can be done.
I am being practical and proposing a change that would be easy and popular. Any complaints would be of the same nature as the "He shot me down when his guns weren't even pointed at me" nature. Which I think is both easier to explain AND accept.
:angel:
I am my Ideal ! - You may now return to your petty bickering.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #170 on: April 06, 2012, 05:55:41 PM »
I am being practical and proposing a change that would be easy and popular.
I'd like it so much I would cancel my account.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #171 on: April 06, 2012, 06:35:38 PM »
There is no way to do this.  At any given moment, anyones Internet connection can suffer dramatic swings in latency.  It is the nature of the beast.  As long as streaming video services are alive and well on the Internet then crazy swings in latencies will be the norm.  That is just a simple fact.

Most players, with consistently bad latencies end up quitting anyway.  They cannot stand the crazy things they have to deal with anymore than the guys on the other end.  Only a few hang around because they have no other choice in connections.

Thanks Skuzzy. good explanation. So if you have latency, pester your provider until you get a better connection...or solicit new providers.  :salute
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #172 on: April 06, 2012, 07:55:32 PM »
<snip.
  are we back to calling it lag again ...? I think the SAME standards should be applied to COLLISION LAG as are applied to SHOOT DOWN LAG ... is that any more comprehensible ? It's consistant.

It is TIME lag, not internet lag, as in a crappy connection.

It takes "x" amount of time for the data to go from your computer, to the server, then to the other players computer. That amount of time differs due to the distance each computer is from the server. Due to NOT having instantaneous transfers of data the two computers will NEVER be displaying the same thing. So due to those physics they have two choices.

1, the system we have now where you control your reality and have "what you see is what you get", or

2, We have what you suggest and have a plane that is flying along 100 feet away from another explode and crash.

At this time, with the technology that is available these are the choices. I'm sure HTC would love to be able to model mid-air collisions like real life, but it isn't possible. Of course, if it is possible I'd love to hear you explain it.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #173 on: April 06, 2012, 11:42:02 PM »
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #174 on: April 07, 2012, 06:30:21 AM »
It's beyond me why people effectively wishes for a collision model, where they pass an enemy plane in a good safe distance, and then suddenly explodes.

Don't change the current model.

It is not going to change.  No one has come up with a better solution.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #175 on: April 07, 2012, 08:59:52 AM »
I don't have any problem with the collisions themselves but rather who takes damage.

If I'm in a b17 and a Zero hits me from dead six, then he shouldn't fly off with zero damage while the b17 breaks into pieces.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #176 on: April 07, 2012, 09:04:21 AM »
I don't have any problem with the collisions themselves but rather who takes damage.

If I'm in a b17 and a Zero hits me from dead six, then he shouldn't fly off with zero damage while the b17 breaks into pieces.
The Zero didn't hit you, you hit the Zero.

Until you can wrap your mind around that, you aren't in a position to discuss why and how the collision system works.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #177 on: April 07, 2012, 09:34:26 AM »

How did you let a zero get so close as to ram you in b17 yet you did not shred him to pieces with your guns.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 07, 2012, 09:37:09 AM »
I can't believe how players are asking for their own plane to randomly explode without any contact with an enemy plane...  :headscratch:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #179 on: April 07, 2012, 10:00:16 AM »

Interesting I have never had a fighter collide a bomber at any point in time & survive.

Where as the bomber is unscathed.