Author Topic: Collisions  (Read 12116 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Collisions
« Reply #300 on: April 09, 2012, 03:28:18 PM »
Ok let me rephrase that for you, english allows multi-parsing of phrases, but some people don't take the time to consider that.
- "there are 2 volumes of space where they CAN do damage, (one on each computer)" -
See how that works?
No.  Once again, there is a single volume of space and it is only on the shooter's computer.  The volume of space in the shootee's computer is not a valid target and no damage is recorded by hitting it.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #301 on: April 09, 2012, 03:35:51 PM »
No.  Once again, there is a single volume of space and it is only on the shooter's computer.  The volume of space in the shootee's computer is not a valid target and no damage is recorded by hitting it.

Rephrasing for Clarity.

There is CURRENTLY  a single volume of space that detects a bullet colliding with an airplane ,and it is only on the shooter's computer.  The volume of space in the shootee's computer is not a real/live bullet and no collision detection is done, in fact you can watch the bullets go right on threw tanks.

HiTech

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #302 on: April 09, 2012, 03:55:24 PM »
But you see it DID experience a Collision ... 2 pilots, 2 airplanes, check the serial #s ... The results on ONE computer (my way) determine the outcome on BOTH ... Just like when you shoot a plane down. SO simple, SO consistant ...
:D

Actually it's two pilots, four airplanes. Two on the P47's front end and two on the P51's front end.
On the P51's front end he ran into the P47, so the P51 takes damage. On the P47's front end the 51 did not hit him so the P47 doesn't take damage.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #303 on: April 09, 2012, 04:17:53 PM »
     I think skuzzy has been very patient in explaining the reasoning of the collision model.  It's also evident that some people don't listen
but continue to argue about a dead issue.  Forget the clue rake, we need a clue hammer  :D

That would be the backside of the ban hammer.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #304 on: April 09, 2012, 04:57:28 PM »
There is CURRENTLY  a single volume of space that detects a bullet colliding with an airplane ,and it is only on the shooter's computer.  The volume of space in the shootee's computer is not a real/live bullet and no collision detection is done, in fact you can watch the bullets go right on threw tanks.
When I say ... - "there are 2 volumes of space where they CAN do damage, (one on each computer)" - I am referring to EACH PILOT having a target to shoot at ... 1 pilot has 1 target (per enemy aircraft) on his computer that he can damage or collide with. If he shoots it, it takes damage, (actually, I guess we could realistically expect that the BULLET involved takes damage too, but THAT collision isn't significant to the shooter). If his PLANE collides, the damage -IS- significant and BOTH aircraft take damage/crash (my way). Either event could occur (my way) when it LOOKED impossible on the OTHER GUYS computer. (current modeling) I've experienced the GUNS not even pointed in my direction situation, it's rare ... (it sucks but I can't conceive of a BETTER way to do it). I've had the OTHER GUY collide with me and go down while I flew on (frequently) ... But NEVER when I would have been surprised if I had been killed too.
:eek:
I am my Ideal ! - You may now return to your petty bickering.

Offline Zodiac

• Copper Member
« Reply #305 on: April 09, 2012, 07:16:40 PM »
EVZ the best way I can see to explain it to you is, your way would produce an infinite number more complaints in a few months than the current CM has since it's creation. HiTech and Skuzzy ( along with numerous others) have told you why it would be a terrible idea, and yet you dismiss not only other members of the forum,but the developer of the game. You are sure you understand the workings of the CM, and think that your way would be a more fair system, and that is when it becomes apparent that you do not understand the workings at all. If your system was implemented ( not that HTC would implement it), then flying at all would be completely and utterly frustrating to the point that many many would quit. Who would be interested in paying a subscription on a game they do not like? So it would be fair for me to be flying along,avoid a diving enemy and watch him clear me by 50 yards yet a few seconds later both of us are looking at the inside of the tower, because on his screen he flew right through me? That's not even taking into account griefers, oh imagine the fun it would be for them. If you shot someone down and they were upset about it, they could keep you in the tower all day,even if they had no chance of killing you in a fight, just by flying into you on their screen (and of course no way you could avoid the collision because you can't even SEE IT coming). This is an attempt to illustrate why it would be a bad idea, that would cause much more discontent than the current CM ever has. If you still want the CM changed to your way, then from now on every time someone collides without you taking damage, then just bail from your plane, convince the other guy to do the same if he doesn't take damage and voila you both died in the collision. I don't suspect you will find many willing to go along with you on bailing, for the exact reason your CM model wouldn't work, the thought of "I didn't collide with him, why should I die when no collision even happened on my end?"
Member DFC
Quote from: Skuzzy
No cookie for you.
Quote from: Wiley
If they want to run to their ack or friendlies that's fine.  It's up to me to catch them and not get killed in the process if I can.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #306 on: April 09, 2012, 08:49:13 PM »
Indeed!

EVZ: since you say it's such a vast majority that have a problem with the current collision model, they should just bail whenever they get EITHER collision message.  Start the bail movement!

Unless youre already bailing upon seeing "xxxxx has collided with you", it should be interesting to see how it would catch on.

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #307 on: April 09, 2012, 08:58:34 PM »
you dismiss not only other members of the forum, but the developer of the game.
I havn't dismissed anybody, least of all HT or Skuzzy, I'm pleased to see them take an interest, they both set an excellent example I think ... I have ignored a few maybe, as I'm going to ignore the rest of your post ... just trying to maintain a Higher Standard.
:)

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #308 on: April 09, 2012, 11:29:08 PM »
I havn't dismissed anybody, least of all HT or Skuzzy, I'm pleased to see them take an interest, they both set an excellent example I think ... I have ignored a few maybe, as I'm going to ignore the rest of your post ... just trying to maintain a Higher Standard.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=32325;sa=showPosts;start=480

we can read everything youv'e ever posted.

obvously, you provide facts in all the threads you've contributed to, otherwise, it's just your superior intelligence and weak sources which caused you to post 485+ posts since last october. (???) I wonder why you didn't just create your own game that meets your standards.

I'm curious who you actually are, I cant imagine someone's first post on the forums was in a scenario forum 6 months ago:

Nope can't see it ... Help?

EVZ       :salute

has problems seeing how the collision model works.  :neener:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 11:32:02 PM by kvuo75 »
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #309 on: April 10, 2012, 05:45:36 AM »
I cant imagine someone's first post on the forums was in a scenario forum 6 months ago:
If you had any experience with scenarios, you'd know that it's often necessary for the CO to add your name to the list of people allowed into the allied or axis sites on the BBS ... You "can't SEE it" until he does. You wouldn't like it, everybodys NICE to each other ...

Since I was HERE anyway I took a look around and was stunned ... I ran a Fido Net BBS -before- there WAS an internet, and things have sure degenerated from the standards we maintained.
:lol

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #310 on: April 10, 2012, 07:15:18 AM »
This is still going?  Awesome, because it's gonna be a slow day at work, again...

I havn't dismissed anybody, least of all HT or Skuzzy, I'm pleased to see them take an interest, they both set an excellent example I think ... I have ignored a few maybe, as I'm going to ignore the rest of your post ... just trying to maintain a Higher Standard. and ignore any and all logic as explained to me by the game developers and long-term players

Fixed  :aok
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #311 on: April 10, 2012, 08:42:36 AM »
Ok, so EVZ might understand the collision model, but he definitely doesn't like it - which is fine. His solution is not a better one, nor is it a fair one. Arguments about "when two planes collide they both die" or "it's two pilots and four planes" are pointless. Some people just can't wrap their brain around how the model works and why it's the most fair.

Making the collision model work like the bullet model is, as has been pointed out, not a fair or viable way to do it. Taking damage from someone who shoots you MUST be based on the shooter's perspective; and is totally under both people's control - you flew your plane across his guns and he shot you; you take damage. Taking damage from someone who collides with you MUST NOT be based on the other guy's perspective; and again is totally under both people's control - you flew your plane and avoided the collision, he did not; he gets damage and you do not.

Everyone here who is arguing about the subject will probably never stop arguing about the subject, because they probably think stopping is a sign of weakness or admission of being wrong. In either case, I still find this thread both funny and frustrating...carry on.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Nitrous

• Zinc Member
« Reply #312 on: April 11, 2012, 11:34:15 AM »
nitrous might as well post a thread about which is better and or Intel.  you will get less hassle for it.  lots of us totally agree with you.  but that ain't gonna happen so leave it alone.  this is one of those things that aren't good to post.   :salute

semp

Post what you want & I will do the same. Who went and made you the expert on what to post or not? The point I'm trying to make is that no (ONE) player should die because another player rammed their plane into them. Make the game a more fair & level playing field so that at least both go down. This would cause less mouthing off when it does occur. (MAYBE)  :salute

(Edited by me for miss closing quote)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 11:37:56 AM by hitech »

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #313 on: April 11, 2012, 11:50:29 AM »
See rule #4
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 01:46:56 PM by hitech »
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #314 on: April 11, 2012, 11:58:13 AM »
See rule #4
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 01:47:04 PM by hitech »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli