Author Topic: Collisions  (Read 11998 times)

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Collisions
« Reply #375 on: April 13, 2012, 03:24:25 PM »
This from the guy that tried to take this into about 8 other directions a page or so ago. Nice.

BTW I flew AW FR for years. This has that beat by a thousand miles. Although I do miss the off death star mission. They were a hoot.

7 but who's counting

I never said it didn't have AW beat and I think its a fantastic game but you are just #2ing and #4ing again.

However, since YOU brought it up, there are plenty of ideas AW had that would be nice if implemented in into the game and the way the HO and collide were handled was better imho.   :aok
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #376 on: April 13, 2012, 03:36:16 PM »
7 but who's counting

I never said it didn't have AW beat and I think its a fantastic game but you are just #2ing and #4ing again.

However, since YOU brought it up, there are plenty of ideas AW had that would be nice if implemented in into the game and the way the HO and collide were handled was better imho.   :aok

Well thats your opinion. I like it better this way. AW's way you had no incentive to turn away because you couldn't collide. EVERYONE went for the hO even though it hit far less than it does here. With this setup, you are in control. If YOU avoid the other guy you DON'T HAVE COLLISIONS. pretty easy to understand. You don't have to understand "communication lag" or "time lag" or anything else everyone is typing here.

Don't collide and you won't take damage.

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #377 on: April 13, 2012, 03:53:05 PM »
See rule #4
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 04:06:00 PM by hitech »
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #378 on: April 13, 2012, 10:02:14 PM »
So let me get this straight ... If two pilots see each others plane, they're going head-on or nearly head-on?
Two pilots -in close proximity- that see EACH OTHER, and wind up with someone colliding, are generally going to be involved in a merge, likely a HO ... One pilot may have a good visual on a plane that he is chasing ... but chases rarely lead to collisions.

Or are you saying 90% of the population have no clue about BFM and ACM and only know how to yank the nose of their plane into the nose of another plane and call that a fight...   On second thought, I think this last sentence actually is true.
The HO is a natural form of attack ... in just about ANY form of equal combat ... there's also the ambush, but that's not easy to do with aircraft in AH ...
:)
I am my Ideal ! - You may now return to your petty bickering.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #379 on: April 13, 2012, 10:23:20 PM »
So...

Has anyone here flown against him in the MW arena, yet?

Have you figured it out?

He wants to be able to HO on the 1st merge, continually, hoping that the plane with the biggest guns will win first and, if not and a collision ensues, both take catastrophic damage, regardless if only one collides.

It has been his MO from the start and only takes five minutes to figure it out. 

Give it a try...
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #380 on: April 13, 2012, 10:37:58 PM »
The vast majority of the collisions I have had in AH did not involve an HO.

You're talking out of your rear, EVZ.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #381 on: April 14, 2012, 05:04:42 PM »
The vast majority of the collisions I have had in AH did not involve an HO.
What did they involve then? and if it wasn't a HO ... ? How did you -SEE- it to KNOW what was involved ... about the only other thing ? would be chasing bombers with TERRIBLE gunners or maybe unarmed C-47s ???
:uhoh

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #382 on: April 14, 2012, 05:22:48 PM »
What did they involve then? and if it wasn't a HO ... ? How did you -SEE- it to KNOW what was involved ... about the only other thing ? would be chasing bombers with TERRIBLE gunners or maybe unarmed C-47s ???

Oh my lord...  I just figured it out...

EVZ doesn't look around him when he's flying.  Reading this last comment and the one before it... EVZ, are you aware you can look out of your plane from angles other than forward?  I mean this not laughing at you, but seriously.  Most people in the game spend less than 10 percent of their time looking out the front of their plane.  That could quite easily explain why so much stuff "sneaks up on you".  If that's the case, get with a trainer to get help setting up your views.  It will completely change the game for you.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #383 on: April 14, 2012, 05:43:55 PM »

LOL1000

Close-quarters turn fights. Scissors, barrel rolls, snap rolls, trying to force overshoots (both kinds), engaging with a foe with the same fighting technique and you both try the same things, etc., etc.

Actually looking all around you as you fight, straining to keep your foe in sight; it's easy to -SEE- and to KNOW what was involved...and to know if you collided with him, he collided with you, or you both collided with each other. It's not tough, nor is it voodoo or weird science.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #384 on: April 14, 2012, 05:58:48 PM »
Combat maneuvers in close proximity.  No, I don't always see what happened, but sometimes I do.  I've seen guys make a pass from my four o'clock to my ten o'clock, clearly missing my aircraft by over 100ft, and explode off of my wingtip as I get the "Soandso has collided with you" message.  I've done similar things where I was the one to collide and the other guy was fine.  I've put my nose through the other guy's cockpit when doing scissors.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #385 on: April 15, 2012, 08:53:26 AM »
I have it, after 15 years of the collision debate I truly have a new collision method. I write an auto collision debate tracker for the bbs. As soon as some one argues the merits of both die, they get their wish. A flag is set for them so that the requester dies as they happily fly by ,waving there hand at an  airplane, just as they requested.

I then charge $30 to remove the flag when they request it a few days later.

HiTech

Dale ... please make is so !!! ... it would have to be maybe a 2 hour effort to code and test.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #386 on: April 15, 2012, 10:25:24 AM »
No, I don't always see what happened, but sometimes I do.
OK... I don't doubt you've caught a few glimpses of events, from "views". My experience is they are usually brief and incomplete. If you spend a lot of time with people on your tail, I suppose there will be more collisions from other views. Personally, I don't try and get THAT close when in the chase plane position ... and rarely experience anyone THAT close behind me.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #387 on: April 15, 2012, 11:18:50 AM »
OK... I don't doubt you've caught a few glimpses of events, from "views". My experience is they are usually brief and incomplete. If you spend a lot of time with people on your tail, I suppose there will be more collisions from other views. Personally, I don't try and get THAT close when in the chase plane position ... and rarely experience anyone THAT close behind me.

My guess is that you rarely get into any good fights. Many times I'm close enough to see the rivets on the skins, and STILL avoid collisions.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #388 on: April 15, 2012, 11:21:45 AM »

Nice veiled insult.

If you have time to think of veiled insults you have time to actually try to read and comprehend what I actually wrote, which did not amount to "I spend a lot of time with the other guy on my tail."
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #389 on: April 15, 2012, 11:34:28 AM »

EVZ... with all respect, and no ill will intended...

In a good rolling scissors fight, it is not uncommon at all to be within D100... and sometimes see the range icon say "0"... without colliding.  Both guys are trying to force an overshoot on the other... stall horn is blaring, flaps are full out... in some cases gear is out too to give you extra drag.  Throttles are being chopped, barrel rolls... etc.  This is what most dogfights with pilots that are experienced turn into.  Add a few more planes in the mix and its a close quarters knife fight.

Collisions do occur in this situation.  And yes... the pilots are using their hat switches or track IR to look around them for 90% of the fight.  Only when the opponent crosses in front of them do they quickly look ahead and take the snap shot.  Losing sight of your opponent in these types of fights means you are dead... period.  You catch much more than a glimpse from views... 90% of the fight is done by looking around.

This is where "most" of my collisions occur as well.  Rarely do I let someone collide with me when they decide to HO... and even more rarely do I accept a HO.  

Personally... the convergence on just about everything I fly is set at 300.  I dont shoot at anything out much farther than that... and in fact I like it even closer.  When I fire, I want everything I have hitting one spot, with maximum velocity... to kill as quickly as possible.

From the limited experiences I have had with you, you fly mostly bombers, and drive tanks and other GV's.  This is indicated by your stats as well.  I have yet you meet you in a fighter.  Im not saying you are inexperienced, or are not a good shot... nor am I saying you are... because I dont know that about you one way or the other.

But... if most of your air-to-air combat has been head on passes, or longer range shots... you are missing out on a big part of the game, and its tactics.  If you are unfamiliar with close quarters dogfighting, I can understand why you dont see the reason for the collision model as it is.

From personal experience...  I flew MW only for about a year solid when I started this game.  It was not until I started flying in LW, FSO, and practicing in the DA that I learned to dogfight.  You seem to be following along the same path I was on back then.  

Spend some time in late war... go to the dueling arena.  Hook up with a squad that flies in FSO.  Mid War may be your home, but you can only learn so much there.   Of course it is totally up to you, but it would be worth your time.

***G3-MF***