Author Topic: Bab's Show n' Tell ("look at me!") Thread  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
Bab's Show n' Tell ("look at me!") Thread
« on: April 02, 2012, 06:12:19 PM »
Just a bunch of purty/interesting pictures I've been taking over the last few months since I've started volunteering my time as a member at the SoCal CAF hangers.  I'll try to keep the more interesting stuff at the top of posts.  This thread is more for convenience to me, respect to other people's threads/subjects in the bbs, and ultimatley I will hopefuly keep up as an ongoing compilation... although if you want to smack me litteraly or metaphoricly in this thread, please do, I always like to make sure I'm not just dreaming on occasion.

Let's start this off right, time for some pictures of some things TOPLESS!

Starting with the most recent from this Saturday, with the mustang getting stripped down:

About over a month ago:

Here's something you won't see past a first run-up - a clean, spotless, freshly painted double wasp:

Outdoors in CA at the best time of day:

-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
Re: Bab's Show n' Tell ("look at me!") Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 06:20:12 PM »

The PBJ (Navy B-25J) is comming along nicely, both wings are now on for good and have been for about a month.

So, one day I'm sitting at the front desk in the museum hangar, and in walks this woman and her two young sons, looking to make a donation from her father's closet with this brown khaki and rabit-fur lined collar jump/flight-suit...

Translation if I remember correctly (if you speak Japanesse, by all means clarify):
Property of Imperial Navy of Japan - Kosa (sp?) Provisional Command (something like that, it was the largest Jap Navy supply yard/port for the forces deployed throughout the south pacific)
Date of Manufacture - (rough translate, they used a different clander) February, 1945
Size - 3 (III)
Name - blank
Her father was a part of the occupying forces after the war and scored this souvenier, still in fantastic shape.  I wish i had a whole picture of it on me, will try to get one soon, it's in great shape for its age (and likely seeing a few costume parties).
-Babalon

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 06:31:08 PM »
awesome pics :aok

really like the front shot of the engine :aok

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 06:45:27 PM »
Post Maintenance Griffon-powered Spit XIV Runup Video:
(Warning - LOUD! - Warning - Start with your audio muted or at 10% volume or less - Warning)

Honestly, the best bit of this video is the last few seconds when the engine is cut (although if you can tolerate the beating to your ears, you might enjoy the rest), the noise dies off enough that it isn't r!@#ing the microphone or your ears (that, or maybe the Griffon engine is just too awesome for microphones :aok ).

The sound of the rushing wind is overwhelming I think, but likely a combination of me being too close, or stanidng at a bad angle in relation to the prop/wind, or w/e.  Hopefuly next time there's a runnup I can try and get a better one.  Trial and error.

Edit: Trying to get it posted, standby.  OK, best if I just get my hands on the original file at home in an hour and re-upload.  She's a commin'.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 06:54:03 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 06:47:53 PM »
The drool factor is heavy in this thread  :aok
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 07:01:40 PM »
Glad you like it INK, I have a nicer one that I like better and that I'll post in about an hour when I get home and deal with the Spit XIV video (do not get your hopes up, at least audio wise for 95% of it), I traded the ladder infront of the right wing in the shot I posted (from pilot's position/facing, so backwards) for a the Hellcat's crewchief sitting in a natural position (busy lookin' stuff up) on the left wing.

UrSelf, check our squad forum, I've had a stiffy for over 2-weeks now helping assist the crew chief on the mustang (and crossing my fingers for A LOT longer - no jinx! - taking off work Thursday to clean exhaust stacks, (yes, even with oven-cleaner in hand, I'm estatic, lol)).
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 07:06:14 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 07:09:14 PM »
Which airfield is this please?
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 07:11:08 PM »
Corrected: (I just figured it out...)

The base is the Yokosuka Naval Base.
The manufacturing date is February, 1944 (Showa 19).
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 09:56:28 PM by Rolex »

Offline WING47

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 10:30:40 PM »
ahh awsome pics man, theres my other woman, at least in AH, god bless and long live the Man O' War.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 10:37:58 PM »

Would you happen to have a wallpaper size version of that?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 10:47:29 PM by MachFly »
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 11:52:38 PM »
There's my problem, another old video card dead, and another even older one in while a new one is on order (couldnt access the files remotely, so...).

Which airfield is this please?

Camarillo, Ventura County, CA - Camarillo MAP

/pitch-on

If you fly in, there is a airport cafe on the airport and within walking distance of our hangars (typical airport cafe, $15 a head meals, ~slow~ service and busy on the weekends  :aok ), great for a weekend lunch/date/trip.  If you drive with the family, the boys can get dropped off at our hangars while the misses/ladies in tow shop til they drop at the huge Camarillo Outlet Center(s) just a few minutes away (laugh if you want, but you'd be surprised how invaluable it is at times having those "flak batteries" ringed around our airfield).  If you're flying or driving in a distance, PLEASE call ahead and just ask (we sometimes have events that rent out the hangar, so we try to keep the popular visiting days like the weekend open though, but... 1 out 10, we might be "closed" for a private event.

Closed only Mondays, museum hours are 10-4.  Busiest work days on the maintenance-hangar side (ie: doors are open, wrenches turning) are (a good little bit) on Thursdays and (a ton, including usually a 50% chance of an engine runup if not a flight before the end of the day) on Saturdays.

Airshow is in August (18/19)th and an Oktoberfest at the end of Sept. (I haven't heard a date yet) would be really good days to make a long-er drive out here.

Most people have a couple things on their bucket list too we can help out with if you or a loved one is seriously interested in purchasing a ride (it mostly goes to the insurance, some for fuel, and if we're lucky and dont sit on the taxiway too long, a few bucks make it over into the maintenance fund.).

http://www.cafsocal.com/index.htm
Camarillo Airport
455 Aviation Drive
Camarillo, CA 93010
805-482-0064

Corrected: (I just figured it out...)

The base is the Yokosuka Naval Base.
The manufacturing date is February, 1944 (Showa 19).

I'm actually REALLY happy you saw this thread and that shot rather early enough that I can still edit the OP!  I remember now, it was Fed '44, however I'm definetley going to pass along the Yokosuka bit incase they havent figured it out, thanks!

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

Would you happen to have a wallpaper size version of that?

Yes Mach, give me another hour or two at most, I'll get the original unmolested shots for you.  Your shots however, are not showing up (the host site doesnt like you/us hotlinking).

ahh awsome pics man, theres my other woman, at least in AH, god bless and long live the Man O' War.

Anytime you want to come over and fondle her (help wipe off some dust/oil/hydrolic/bugs or maybe even put on some wax) just come on by!  :aok
-Babalon

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 12:05:39 AM »
Yes Mach, give me another hour or two at most, I'll get the original unmolested shots for you.  Your shots however, are not showing up (the host site doesnt like you/us hotlinking).

Thanks!

Disregard my shots, it's just a drooling smiley looking at the Spitfire.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 12:56:29 AM »
Uploading Done for tonight, the Constellation will wait 'til tomorrow.

Post Maintenance Griffon-powered Spit XIV Runup Video:
(Warning - LOUD! - Warning - Start with your audio muted or at 10% volume or less - Warning)
http://youtu.be/Y5PMRg7Fcr8
(seriously, start at low volume, it helps the overwhelming wind noise)
note, tail is strapped to the pavement.

For Machfly or anyone else:
http://www.mediafire.com/?acvvarihaz52biy

Previews (photobucket-sized)

Edit:  Almost forgot to add, in addition to the already obvious and shameless promo plugs - but I know we have a number of Man-O-War fans in the game, and we have some sexy, supportive Man-O-War t-shirts (in addition to most our flying aircraft), I think are ~$25 and are sold at the museum, sizes up to 3XL.

Edit2: I'll be darned, them and the Zero's are up. 
http://cafsocal.com/caf-products
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 01:32:56 AM by Babalonian »
-Babalon

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 05:29:54 AM »
Great pics........Thanks for posting Babs, really cool thing ur doing to help these birds stay alive  :aok
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline tmetal

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 09:51:22 AM »
Great thread, loving the pictures.  Got any better pictures of that A6M in the background?
The real problem is anyone should feel like they can come to this forum and make a wish without being treated in a derogatory manner.  The only discussion should be centered around whether it would work, or how it would work and so on always in a respectful manner.

-Skuzzy 5/18/17