Author Topic: Why the "v" Philosophy is good for AH  (Read 3104 times)

Offline Torquila

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Why the "v" Philosophy is good for AH
« on: April 04, 2012, 08:35:46 PM »
Its quite apparent that those who fly under the 'v' name and others who play similarly are the main "life" of Aces High.

They present an unsurmountable challenge as a group to everyone, yet perform the basic duties of newbies by keeping those with "skill" well fed. They play seemingly detached from the technicalities of personal prowess but appear to be attached to the players around them.

What more could anyone ask for?

Maybe better tactics (by their critics)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1m6IKiO26c#t=01m08

:airplane:

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
Re: Why the "v" Philosophy is good for AH
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 08:57:18 PM »
Its quite apparent that those who fly under the 'v' name and others who play similarly are the main "life" of Aces High.

They present an unsurmountable challenge as a group to everyone, yet perform the basic duties of newbies by keeping those with "skill" well fed. They play seemingly detached from the technicalities of personal prowess but appear to be attached to the players around them.

This style creates a home for new folks too.  Remember that learning this game is tough no matter how much time you have on your hands.  Horde squads buy people time to learn and subtract the frustrations of the game while allowing them to have fun by contributing to the greater good of the mission.  They feel accomplished and rightly so.  Mission: Capture a base...takeoff, mission accomplished.  That feels pretty good in a game and in RL doesn't it?
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 09:04:34 PM »
This style creates a home for new folks too.   Remember that learning this game is tough no matter how much time you have on your hands.  Horde squads buy people time to learn and subtract the frustrations of the game while allowing them to have fun by contributing to the greater good of the mission.  They feel accomplished and rightly so.  Mission: Capture a base...takeoff, mission accomplished.  That feels pretty good in a game and in RL doesn't it?

Did for me. :aok

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 09:14:01 PM »
This style creates a home for new folks too.  Remember that learning this game is tough no matter how much time you have on your hands.  Horde squads buy people time to learn and subtract the frustrations of the game while allowing them to have fun by contributing to the greater good of the mission.  They feel accomplished and rightly so.  Mission: Capture a base...takeoff, mission accomplished.  That feels pretty good in a game and in RL doesn't it?

Worked for me  :aok

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 11:01:24 PM »

good post  :aok  :salute
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 11:04:07 PM »
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 11:07:14 PM by wil3ur »
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 11:04:13 PM »
You guys do understand that they are doing nothing new.  There has always been at least one squad, if not more with the same mentality going back forever.

This is hardly some new 'phenomenon'.

We get it.  As long as they are having fun, they can be the flavor of the month squad.  In the end it really doesn't matter beyond that.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 11:07:36 PM »

That's how I stayed playing, got into Rolling Thunder back when Falcon23 was the CO and we ran horde runs all day.
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline matt

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 11:13:36 PM »

:rolleyes: :noid :aok

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 11:32:48 PM »
You guys do understand that they are doing nothing new.  There has always been at least one squad, if not more with the same mentality going back forever.

We get it.  As long as they are having fun, they can be the flavor of the month squad.  In the end it really doesn't matter beyond that.
Yeah but in those days you had time to get up a proper defense as the blimps and hot air balloons were pretty slow compared to the fast sleek toys of today. That and the Molotov cocktails they dropped couldn't take out your hangers....err tents.  :bolt:
Lighten up Francis

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 11:46:40 PM »
I didn't know the V guys had a philosophy...other than perhaps 'no holds barred land war'  

(meaning, they hate the land with such passion that they smash their planes into it at high speeds, hoping that the resulting explosions will scar the land permanently)
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline HL117

• Nickel Member
      • Aircams
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 12:09:45 AM »

To be honest, never really thought of it this way, well said, my wattage amy have just increased an electron or 2.

:salute

HL

Whether you think you can or cannot, you are right!

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 08:15:23 AM »

Speaking for myself Corky, I get it...I was simply making a point that its a bit of a prison gang/herd mentality for a lot of newbs.  You get in the gang to survive and hide until you understand how the prison works.  Pretty simply training program really but it has it's benefits....and significant drawbacks.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 08:30:05 AM »
Speaking for myself Corky, I get it...I was simply making a point that its a bit of a prison gang/herd mentality for a lot of newbs.  You get in the gang to survive and hide until you understand how the prison works.  Pretty simply training program really but it has it's benefits....and significant drawbacks.

Having been in the vguys squad, I can tell you that I never felt this way.  Just a group of fun guys flying together thinking strategically how to win the war.  Some are very experienced and some are new.  We each had our tasks like take down town ack, VH, etc.  The new guys are very proud when they accomplish their assigned goal.  The experienced guys help the new guys along.  

The constant put downs by the rest of you are largely ignored but over time do take some toll. :headscratch:

I left because they were mostly night shift and too focused on base takes and not individual fighter skills, although that may have changed by now.  vDogfite, at the time, was a great CO.  Lots of great guys in this squad. :aok

I have seen them take many bases with just five or six involved.   :cheers:

:salute =v=  :rock
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 08:42:13 AM by Midway »

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 08:33:42 AM »
    I never had a problem with the "v" guys. They play the game as they wish and so do we all. I never had a derogatory PM from them unlike members of our "Top" squads.

So  :salute the "v"s adding to the fabric of the AH universe.
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.