Author Topic: Manual Trimming and Combat Trim  (Read 1186 times)

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
Re: Manual Trimming and Combat Trim
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 03:46:18 PM »
When you pop flaps push the stick forward to prevent the nose coming up.

If you tend to have problems with nose bounce see me in the TA. In my experience nose bounce problems are usually too much damping and deadband.

Okay thank you.
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 07:52:20 PM »
FLS, I think what we're talking about here is a rolling scissor type situation, where combat trim will keep pulling your nose up even when you don't want it to.

Shutting off combat trim and manually trimming the elevator down will fix that. And if you have a slider mapped to elevator trim you can preset it so you just shut off combat trim and have the flaps go to neutral or nose heavy or wherever you have the slider at.

Curry was asking if there was any way to preset without a slider, in order to switch back and forth between the two with having to hit the i key to manually trim the elevator down each time.

But yeah, SOL as has been pointed out. I thought maybe trim set would do it, but it seems trim set is reset every time you go back to combat trim, I was trying it offline. So it's i key or a button or nothing.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 08:42:22 PM »
Thanks Shiv. The post said pop flaps but I had thought it made more sense as a combat trim vs manual trim question. I would suggest using auto trim on angle entering the fight to set the elevator trim and just leave it there. That will trim you nose down for the slower speeds after you start turning.

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 09:09:15 PM »
Thanks Shiv. The post said pop flaps but I had thought it made more sense as a combat trim vs manual trim question. I would suggest using auto trim on angle entering the fight to set the elevator trim and just leave it there. That will trim you nose down for the slower speeds after you start turning.

Yeah that's what I have determined to be the best alternative as you are still relatively fast entering the fight.  Then I make adjustments using the I key if necessary.  At least I am doing the best thing possible with my materials.  Thanks again.
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 09:20:37 PM »
Aha, good thinking.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2012, 06:19:48 AM »
Get one of those switches from 68valu.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2012, 09:32:10 PM »
Well, I fly the F4U series alot......... and I (before actually engaging, but roight before ) will nose low to gain speed/seperation/and looking for the 325to 350 window in the hog IAS speed )  before turning off combat trim..........and I leave it there through out my entire fight........ which gives me a situation to where I have to have a slight to constant pull on the joystick...... looking for a shot........ ro bring guns for a solution/target

I do not have to worry about nose bounce, in this instance...... because my trim is set for a flight being stright with no control input nor with any wep turned on at a speed from 325 IAS to 350 IAS depending on the F4U series/type plane I am in.......

I do the same things in each individual plane type.............. depending on what their max level cruise speed  ( IAS & TAS depending on altitude ) is recorded at.....

my gunnery is horrible, but just imagine what it would be if I had to deal with "nose bounce".............. in which case it is not necessarily linked to speed but more so that the flaps do not take in to account the speed of the plane, they are always trimming for level flight based on the speed of the aircraft...... I do not rely on combat trim, when I am engaged with 1 or more planes / plane ypes..........

just a different view...

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2012, 10:57:25 PM »
Well, I fly the F4U series alot......... and I (before actually engaging, but roight before ) will nose low to gain speed/seperation/and looking for the 325to 350 window in the hog IAS speed )  before turning off combat trim..........and I leave it there through out my entire fight........ which gives me a situation to where I have to have a slight to constant pull on the joystick...... looking for a shot........ ro bring guns for a solution/target

I do not have to worry about nose bounce, in this instance...... because my trim is set for a flight being stright with no control input nor with any wep turned on at a speed from 325 IAS to 350 IAS depending on the F4U series/type plane I am in.......

I do the same things in each individual plane type.............. depending on what their max level cruise speed  ( IAS & TAS depending on altitude ) is recorded at.....

my gunnery is horrible, but just imagine what it would be if I had to deal with "nose bounce".............. in which case it is not necessarily linked to speed but more so that the flaps do not take in to account the speed of the plane, they are always trimming for level flight based on the speed of the aircraft...... I do not rely on combat trim, when I am engaged with 1 or more planes / plane ypes..........

just a different view...

TC

Yep I agree.
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2012, 12:12:27 AM »
I fly combat trim most of the time though a quick dose of manual trim may bring your foe into scope fast or help you escape is grasp.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline diaster

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2012, 09:47:05 PM »
That's the weirdest thing about this game. The purpose of trim is to relieve stick forces at given configuration and aoa so you do not have to maintain pressure and when consequently initiating a directional change you do not have to first overcome current resistance/force, i.e. flying around with stick help in your lap then u have to pull even more. In this game it seems to help you turn even faster which puts you in a bad trim position when you come out of the change in direction. In RL you would roll off the trim as you ease the stick forward to counter the forces on it/you

So in game, I use my hat switch to apply and remove trim as needed as in RL, almost as a mini stick, pop flaps push forward on the hat i.e. pilot wound on approach, I trim long glide slope at 125 indicated and apply throttle to adjust touchdown point, if i pass out it lands itself anyway), in a fight the hat trim down helps the nose to come around smoother, but it doesn't reallly get pointed in the right direction and i end up pulling more stick unconsciously. really obvious in the f4... but then  i need a lot of practice in it
"Harden The F_ck Up”

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 05:15:17 PM »
In the game you also trim the forces off the stick. Instead of trimming the control surface pressure off the stick you trim the spring pressure off and the stick is centered when you're trimmed.

Trim does not increase the control input and help you turn faster. If it seems that way it's an illusion.

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2012, 05:21:38 PM »
In the game you also trim the forces off the stick. Instead of trimming the control surface pressure off the stick you trim the spring pressure off and the stick is centered when you're trimmed.

Trim does not increase the control input and help you turn faster. If it seems that way it's an illusion.

Then why when I fly a P-38 or K-4 I can use the vertical trim to get out of a dive I never would with just normal control input?
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 05:34:20 PM »
It's not that trim 'increases control input', but rather it allows the little cartoon dude inside the cockpit who is modeled to pull whatever amount of force he can pull (100 lbs?) to overcome the force on the other end of the stick and pull out of the dive you're in.

I fly most of the time with combat trim on.  If I find myself in a stall fight duel where I'm trying to force an overshoot, when my IAS gets down around 150 I turn off CT and leave it off until I start picking up speed again.  It seems to me I can ride the stall horn better with CT off than with it on.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 05:47:33 PM »
It's not that trim 'increases control input', but rather it allows the little cartoon dude inside the cockpit who is modeled to pull whatever amount of force he can pull (100 lbs?) to overcome the force on the other end of the stick and pull out of the dive you're in.

I fly most of the time with combat trim on.  If I find myself in a stall fight duel where I'm trying to force an overshoot, when my IAS gets down around 150 I turn off CT and leave it off until I start picking up speed again.  It seems to me I can ride the stall horn better with CT off than with it on.

Wiley.

I agree on that I can definitely turn and keep control better at low speeds with my CT off.
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2012, 05:48:35 PM »
Manual trim for corner speed before the fight. Never use combat trim.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.