Author Topic: House broken into.  (Read 3127 times)

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
Re: House broken into.
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2012, 04:47:12 PM »

You will find yourself incarcerated and charged with Mayhem for the "extra rounds".    

What "extra" rounds?  There is no limit on the number of times you can shoot someone.  The only "limit" is they have to be a threat when you shoot them.  If they drop to the floor and you continue to pump rounds into a lifeless body you might run into a problem.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2012, 04:54:51 PM »
Guns & Ammo did an interesting story on .223 for home defense.  They challenged the idea that a handgun is always the best solution to over-penetration.  They argued with certain types of new .223 ammo, fragmentation (and less penetration) would be as likely if not more likely in the lighter cartridge vs larger caliber handgun rounds.  It was an interesting article, makes you think, but I also got the feeling it was just a big advertisement for the new Winchester ammo.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2012/02/10/long-guns-short-yardage-is-223-the-best-home-defense-caliber/

I read the article, and yes, it was a big ad for Winchester's new split core ammo.

However, it also went on to point out that the ammo will still penetrate a wall, but instead of coming out the other side whole it will come out as high velocity fragments.

Either way, I ain't gonna volunteer to test the theory.  ;)
See Rule #4

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2012, 05:01:42 PM »
I read the article, and yes, it was a big ad for Winchester's new split core ammo.

However, it also went on to point out that the ammo will still penetrate a wall, but instead of coming out the other side whole it will come out as high velocity fragments.

Either way, I ain't gonna volunteer to test the theory.  ;)

See, you're less likely to be hit because the fragments are smaller than the original bullet...   :uhoh  :bolt:

They certainly didn't strait up advocate a .223, but it was close.  I won't be switching to it anytime soon, but I will at the very least acknowledged that there are some situations where it would be perfectly fine to use a .223 for home defense (but that is largely the exception).
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2012, 05:06:26 PM »
I won't be switching to it anytime soon, but I will at the very least acknowledged that there are some situations where it would be perfectly fine to use a .223 for home defense (but that is largely the exception).

I would concur with this.

However, I feel that in a house occupied by other people, or an apartment, etc. the use of a rifle round needs to be heavily scrutinized. (Same goes for any firearm, actually.)

To believe that a .223 hollow-point won't penetrate a wall is dangerous at best. I mean really, if push came to shove would you want to be slinging rifle lead in the vicinity of where your children are sleeping?

I wouldn't.

EDIT: I have 8" thick plaster and lathe walls in my house, and would still never unleash a rifle indoors.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 05:08:44 PM by Melvin »
See Rule #4

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2012, 05:15:16 PM »

However, I feel that in a house occupied by other people, or an apartment, etc. the use of a rifle round needs to be heavily scrutinized. (Same goes for any firearm, actually.)

Absolutely, well said.  Some people are so quick to jump on the "OVER-PENETRATION, CANNOT SHOOT RIFLE IN HOUSE" that they sometimes forget that maybe the person lives in the country, and lives either along or with another person who might be in the room with you.  If you can honestly fire a rifle in your house without threat of it hitting an unintended target, than who am I to tell you it's wrong. 

Folks, play nice.

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2012, 05:20:47 PM »
Heck, if I lived alone in the country my place would resemble a well landscaped Thunderdome.  :lol

Intruders would be welcomed by a hail of 30-06 from the Garand followed by an IED or two.  :aok

But I don't live like that, so it's just a pipe (bomb) dream.  ;)
See Rule #4

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2012, 05:30:34 PM »
Heck, if I lived alone in the country my place would resemble a well landscaped Thunderdome.  :lol

Intruders would be welcomed by a hail of 30-06 from the Garand followed by an IED or two.  :aok

But I don't live like that, so it's just a pipe (bomb) dream.  ;)

:lol  I would build such a fort.  People would call me paranoid, but little do they know I'm just playing.  Build a fort out of pillows, you're a kid, build a fort out of metal and timber, you're a lunatic!  :cool:

Folks, play nice.

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2012, 05:32:14 PM »
:lol  I would build such a fort.  People would call me paranoid, but little do they know I'm just playing.  Build a fort out of pillows, you're a kid, build a fort out of metal and timber, you're a lunatic!  :cool:

:rofl :rofl
See Rule #4

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2012, 05:32:37 PM »
Hollow points boys, where live, they will not over penetrate and kill my neighbors, I own a glock 17 , but , i just feel alot better fighting with my AR platform, I would rather use my AR, , and besides, I live in the country so. 

.223 hollowpoints, .223 HV JHPs... not over-penetrate?!... holy s...  this is comming from a born n' raised CAian (not to try and cast any shame upon the majority of the fine and proud people of tenessee)....   :rofl  :lol
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2012, 07:51:33 PM »
27 years and Ive never taken a report of a burglary from a house with a good dog in it. Course dogs can be a pain in the rear. I love em but you gotta feed em, Doctor them, pick up their crap, house them when you go on vacation, listen to them whine. But burglars dont like them.

Had a break in back in Feb. My rather large dog who raises holy hell when anyone comes around somehow did not stop someone from breaking in during broad daylight through a window facing the street.

A dog is no guarantee, whether they pepper sprayed her, hit her with a stick, threw her a piece of meat, they somehow got past her.

The cops said they routinely get past viscous sounding dogs simply by yelling at them. They also said they have seen cases where the guard dog was simply cracked on the head with a bat or something. Unless you have a professionally trained guard dog, don't make the mistake I did by relying on one.

Seriously, I've heard the dog from outside, I never would have dreamed anyone would try to come in that house.

Sure turned out to be a false sense of security.

The MO is this. They will first knock on your door, if you answer they will make up some excuse. Need any yardwork done, have you seen lost cat? etc.

If you don't answer, they will know you aren't home regardless of how many lights or radios are on.

Best bet is iron window bars and security doors IMO.

An inexpensive wall safe to store guns, small valuables is also good.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 08:03:35 PM by jimson »

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2012, 08:25:03 PM »

The MO is this. They will first knock on your door, if you answer they will make up some excuse. Need any yardwork done, have you seen lost cat? etc.

If you don't answer, they will know you aren't home regardless of how many lights or radios are on.

That's what happened in my case.  I was on the toilet when they knocked, took a couple minutes to get to the door -- no one there -- I figured salesman.  Closed the front door and heard sliding glass door on patio open.  Rut roh!!
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline hawkeyeluke13

• Zinc Member
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2012, 09:15:58 PM »
my house is made up of brick, solid oak, tar, and some other things, hollow point rounds from a .223 55gr will not "over penetrate" there are reasons SWAT and and the military use it in close quarter operations.  hollow points expand on impact, and lossing alot of energy on intial impact, it would have to to go trough at least one thick walls , maybe 2, If I ever have to use my rifle , i will ensure , I engage at an angle where no one can be harmed except the bad guy, and besides, I can shoot until i feel they are no longer a threat, which means they have to be still standing, and they will not have the time to fall by the time i drop the first 5 rounds in em.  There is a reason I do not use my glock unless , its the the only option i have.

'

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2012, 09:25:58 PM »
I feel bad for the burglar who ever tried to rob me....me... pissed of.... just woken up, not the tired just woken up, but fully alert gonna chop your head off woken up look....  naked.... ready to do battle, battleaxe in hand.

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2012, 09:37:56 PM »
cheapest route for security? a dog. if you get a Shepard, Rottweiler or Doberman Pinscher many will be dissuaded just by the sight of the breed. if they enter they will be quickly dissuaded by a "welcoming" committee. and youll also have a friend for life that will never stab you in the back, ask for money to go have fun, and bring home friends that will lead your kids into bad habbits.

I have never had a home broken into, but I had a family friend (god father) walk into my house one day when I was a child because he needed to use the phone and figured our house was never locked so he would just pop in quick and use the phone. the Family Doberman, which knew him well, had other ideas. Years before that my dad had a white shepard, guy came onto the property that wasnt wanted, my dad told him to leave and he got lippy with my dad. Shepard had other ideas. Couple years ago my dad let a good buddy of his whom hes known for years borrow a dry wall sander. Told him to drop it off when he was done. my dads rottweiler had other ideas when he entered. Yes, the dog knew him well. My dad got a new Rottweiler puppy this past winter (10-11). she nipped me when she was a year old cause I came into the house at like 1 in the morning.

say something about a dog?

Sorry to hear Getback.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline Rash

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2012, 09:50:51 PM »
No need for a high velocity round, when a double barrel shot gun would do.  Most burglaries around here are daytime, when people are at work.  I remember when I was high school.  We had two night time burglaries in our square mile.  One victim was an ex vet with with some of his marksman certificates in his hallway.  One perp didn't make it out of the hall alive, and the other died in the garage.  One of the perps mother said something like.  I told him their were SOME people that would kill you for just breaking into their house.  Another victim was a dentist, who  I went to school with his kids.  That bugler guy didn't make it out alive either.
The UNFORGIVEN