Author Topic: Trinity Map Sucks  (Read 4237 times)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
Re: Trinity Map Sucks
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2012, 09:55:36 AM »
personally I was very happy to see that the Rooks and Bish had taken large numbers of our Knit bases when I logged in yesterday, because this is the only state where you can find decent fights on this map.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2012, 10:00:28 AM »
my impression is that a single country is playing the win the war game, the other two just want to furball.

All countries are playing for the war, and all countires are just furballing... ;)

Winning the war gets old, the tactics involved are pretty weak.

But that's an individual assement. It doesn't matter if you, me or any other individual likes the way it is it or is interestet in it - it's a huge factor in arena combat dynamics and player motivation and retention. Not saying that "the war" couldn't be improved, but take it away and you will lose quite a number of players... even a number of those who aren't actively playing for "the war"...
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2012, 10:06:44 AM »
it would be interesting to see "who won the war" statistics, my bet is that bish win 90+% of the maps.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2012, 10:09:42 AM »
it would be interesting to see "who won the war" statistics, my bet is that bish win 90+% of the maps.

Oh, I do have a similar impression... not 90%, but very probably more wins than rooks or knights.
But that would not mean only Bish are palying the "war" - it just means they are ...'better' at it ;)

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2012, 10:34:05 AM »
Oh, I do have a similar impression... not 90%, but very probably more wins than rooks or knights.
But that would not mean only Bish are palying the "war" - it just means they are ...'better' at Hording ;)

Fixed that for ya.  :aok
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2012, 10:37:28 AM »
they certainly don't get bored fighting inanimate objects.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2012, 10:48:24 AM »
What a bunch of panty waste!!!   :lol

Trinity is one of the best maps we have.  What isn't there to like about it?  Plenty of places to have gv battles (albeit even the cursed V135), and truth be told it has the BEST tank town AH has to offer.  Lots of bases to up from, nothing too crowded. 

If a map needs to be dealt with and removed from the rotation it is Mindanao. 

Agree!  Some excellent GV battles, and the air battle situation is no worse than others.  Definately get rid of Mindanao. 

MH

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2012, 10:49:34 AM »
Mindanao is great, best jet runs ever  :angel:
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2012, 10:50:41 AM »
:lol well if you guys wouldn't roll all the bases up on the good maps we wouldn't be stuck in the sucky ones for so long. How about you and your multi-wing squad get to rolling the Trinity map bases? Oh i forgot..you can't because you have nowhere to hide and you'll be met headon with defenders.

P.S. they have a terrific map in Early War right now. If ya hurry, you can flip that map by noon!  :x  ;)

Requoted, just 'cause.

I love to see Grinder when I log in, such a good looking map. Just sucks cause I know it's only a matter of hours before the hoarders have rolled it and it's gone again.

It's like "hey, this is an awesome map! Lets roll it so we can move on to the next less-awesome map, then complain about it."

:rolleyes:
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2012, 11:00:20 AM »
Mindanao is great, best jet runs ever  :angel:

Don't know about that, but it needs a lot more GV spawn points.  I think it was designed before we had GVs.  Perhaps someone could modify it. 

MH

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2012, 11:07:19 AM »
seems quite a few GVers like trinity because of the opportunities for spawncamping, which requires almost no skill or effort.

that apart its a badly designed terrain which does nothing to promote real combat.

And what basis do you have for this ridiculous assertion??  To give just one example, V144 - V9 battle yesterday was extremely nice.  You have 2 vehicle bases, with 2 overlapping spawn points (VB1 - VB2spawn - VB1spawn - VB2).  Very hilly, and lots of opportunity for various maneuver tactics.  You can spawn camp, of course, but there are counters to that, including the above-mentioned overlap.  On top of that, I didn't see any Storches!!

BTW, although I don't do it much, even spawn camping can take skill (positioning, chosing when/how to relocate or withdraw, etc.).  You are probably thinking of horde spawn camping.  It is the one-against-many situation which usually produces frustration.  Of course 10 guys camping a spawn with only 2 uppers will be unbalanced.  When you have balance, the uppers gradually kill off the spawn campers, and equilibrium is restored.  

MH
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 11:15:19 AM by TDeacon »

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2012, 11:10:34 AM »

Small maps do generally last 0.5-3 days, but large maps are usualy up much longer than 48 hours - and this is not limited to Trinity. I once tracked that for more than one month, but I haven't the detailed numbers at hand right dow.

Reducing maximum uptime to 48 hours would severly cut the chances to win the war on a large map at all. And taking out the "war" is not a good idea for the game, as winning it respectively preventing the other side from winning it is a great motivator for a lot of players.

FIXED: This is why I included the highlighted portion of my original post.  If #2 were implemented, countries would actually be rewarded for defending as well.  #1 was just to cut down on whines that HTC has smoked crack and murdered the Pope, for instituting any reasonable change to win the war game play.

Time for Snailman  :aok

Actually, I was just pondering the same Rob.  It appears that purely due to the design of this map, it is HARDER TO RESET.  The RESULT is, in a random rotation of maps this one would see far more time on the servers, than smaller maps and those more conducive to field captures.

In another thread, someone put forth the idea that maps have a time limit on them.  This is one way that we may be assured of a more evenly distribution of current maps in play.  I for one, would like to see something along those lines rather than waiting for a manual reset from the powers that be.  If such a time restraint were to go in to effect, it would be nice to add 2 additional "improvements" to the win the war game board.

1)  A countdown clock maybe associated with the clock in the tower, that would display the number of minutes of map time remaining (of course the normal map resets in 4 min warnings must also be initiated automatically).

2)  An improved perk award system that dishes out 1/3 of the perks to each country whenever a map times out (this offsets the inconvenience of booting players, and limiting their time frame for completely defeating a map).

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2012, 11:15:17 AM »
FIXED: This is why I included the highlighted portion of my original post.  If #2 were implemented, countries would actually be rewarded for defending as well.

It's still much less motivating than the prospect of winning, for purely psychological reasons. And because of this, also not entirely satisfying from a gameplay point of view ;)
Nothing wrong with rewardign a good actual defence per se, but 48h for large maps would still mean they could hardly be won at all... which would end in people trying it less in the first place.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 11:16:52 AM by Lusche »

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2012, 11:21:19 AM »
And what basis do you have for this ridiculous assertion??

which one?

that spawncamping requires almost no skill or effort? that seems pretty obvious to me.

that quite a few GVers like trinity? I havent checked the stats of the players who posted that they like trinity, but I'd bet they mostly have more time in GVs than average. I have spotted 2 players who regularly land 20+ GV kills though. I havent followed them around but I'd bet my car they dont manage that by using shoot'n'scoot tactics deep in enemy territory ...
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2012, 11:45:48 AM »
that apart its a badly designed terrain which does nothing to promote real combat.

The last ridiculous assertion, of the 3 that you made.  I gave an example in the first paragraph of my post illustrating a contrasting view.  

MH
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 12:03:30 PM by TDeacon »