Author Topic: Trinity Map Sucks  (Read 4375 times)

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
Re: Trinity Map Sucks
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2012, 11:58:45 AM »
which one?

that spawncamping requires almost no skill or effort? that seems pretty obvious to me.

You assume that spawn camping, as such is bad.  Again, I don't spawn camp much.  However, it is not spawn camping as such which is frustrating to the uppers, but instead it is the many-against-few aspect which often occurs.  I personally don't mind being spawn camped if I eventually have a chance to prevail.  This chance to prevail exists because you don’t always spawn in the same place.  

From a philosophical perspective, spawn camping just another flavor of the ambush tactic which is prevalent in the game (both air and ground).  For example, if you bounce another fighter, or creep up on him/her from below, no reasonable person complains.  It’s just part of the game.  So as I see it, it’s the many-against-few aspect (hordes) which is objectionable.  And of course, this many-against-few phenomenon occurs when a horde attacks a base with planes, so it's not unique to spawn locations.  

Quote from: RTHolmes link=topic=332235.msg4360003#msg4360003
that [i
quite a few GVers like trinity[/i]? I havent checked the stats of the players who posted that they like trinity, but I'd bet they mostly have more time in GVs than average. I have spotted 2 players who regularly land 20+ GV kills though. I havent followed them around but I'd bet my car they dont manage that by using shoot'n'scoot tactics deep in enemy territory ...

If GVers like Trinity, that’s good, right?  GV-ing is part of the game, and the revenue it generates for HTC keeps them going, just as much as that from people who never GV.  

MH
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 12:00:32 PM by TDeacon »

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2012, 12:02:41 PM »
If you cant see how terrain design can effect gameplay, and specifically how the design of trinity with its 17-20k mountains or vast stretches of ocean separating the countries effects gameplay, I am not going to bother explaining it to you.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2012, 12:05:45 PM »
If you cant see how terrain design can effect gameplay, and specifically how the design of trinity with its 17-20k mountains or vast stretches of ocean separating the countries effects gameplay, I am not going to bother explaining it to you.

I think you're confusing Trinity with another map ("...vast stretches of ocean separating the countries...") (?????).  

MH

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2012, 12:09:15 PM »
I think you're confusing Trinity with another map ("...vast stretches of ocean separating the countries...") (?????).  

But that is Trinity. Small initial fronts with giant mountains separating the countries, and the rest of the territories are indeed separated by oceans.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2012, 12:33:13 PM »
seems quite a few GVers like trinity because of the opportunities for spawncamping, which requires almost no skill or effort.

that apart its a badly designed terrain which does nothing to promote real combat.

You certainly never find Tanks in tanktown on trinity.

If I didn't prefer hauling bombs with me on sorties I'd probably like the stupid map.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 12:36:06 PM by Rob52240 »
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »
Remove the mountains, add airbases to tank town, move the initial bases closer together.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2012, 12:39:32 PM »

But that is Trinity. Small initial fronts with giant mountains separating the countries, and the rest of the territories are indeed separated by oceans.

(repost, because the server seems to have misplaced the first reply)

Well perhaps you are correct, and he is thinking of Trinity. 

However, his implication that you can’t get good fights due to overly high mountains and “vast” oceans is not in accordance with my experience, even when I only flew planes.  For example, there is always at least one supplementary front after the first day.  Look at it now. 

MH

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2012, 12:42:22 PM »
Remove the mountains, add airbases to tank town, move the initial bases closer together.

Actually, the high mountains may serve to help GVs, as it may make hauling bombs to bomb them more difficult.  As all right-thinking people know, this is good. 

MH

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2012, 01:01:12 PM »
Actually, the high mountains may serve to help GVs, as it may make hauling bombs to bomb them more difficult.  As all right-thinking people know, this is good. 

MH

tell us about this right thinking thingy...I like where this thread is going!
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2012, 01:08:24 PM »
Actually, the high mountains may serve to help GVs, as it may make hauling bombs to bomb them more difficult. 

In theory yes, but in practice not very much for the most part. It did benefit the GV war a lot back when there was still one in tank town. In most cases where tanks are present to be bombed, no mountains are in the way.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2012, 01:59:53 PM »
right now there's 220 people on and not a SINGLE air combat going on.

EDIT: actually there is an half darbar on the other front. :lol
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 02:02:45 PM by Noir »
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2012, 02:00:12 PM »
I actually like Trinity and to me it is one of the best maps going.  :aok   I like the high mountain ranges and having to pick my way between the mountains in my bombers.  I used to also enjoy the AKDesert map (aka Pizza) but it seems that one has disappeared altogether. :(  Another favourite of mine is Mindanao, again for the mountainous areas.  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2012, 02:14:27 PM »
Air battles on Trinity are really no fun. Too much time spent climbing to very high altitudes or flying a long way to get to a corridore in the mountains.  If a base is captured that shortens the distance to a fight, then a huge horde developes at those two opposing bases.  So it's a horde or flying endlessly hoping to run into a single enemy if you can find one.

When this map is up...I wait for it to be over.

Problem is that when it's up it's up for a week. (the time limit)
Then we win all the other maps in a week or so and it's back to triinity for a week. I think there is as much Trinity time as all other maps combined.

I just think Trinity should be retired for a while.

OR as Grebo suggested...change (someparameter that I'm not familiar with) that will scale the mountains back down to hills.

Would be a good map if the all the terrains alts where scaled back to 25% of current values.  :aok
Who is John Galt?

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2012, 02:17:36 PM »
Ok I confess.  Trinity offers a handfull of great places to fight...... Well at least 1.

When my country owns A1, and the enemy occupies everything to the south of it I can launch and reload spit xvi for hours bombing attacking GVs and then fighting airplanes in the canyon.  Aside from that I still believe it sucks.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Molsman

• Aces High CM Retired
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2012, 02:22:22 PM »
just because you can't roll it in one day
Molsman, Crazy8s , Crazyman
JG11, DerWanderZirkus, -The Flying Clowns-