Author Topic: P-47d40 vs. P-47d25  (Read 16037 times)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: P-47d40 vs. P-47d25
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 04:41:58 PM »
the only way a jug (any jug) is gonna "out turn" a spit 16...is if the guy in the spit is an imbecile, a first day noob....or dead. :old:

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 05:40:28 PM »
flaps and throttle control. speed matters to. also rudder

The spit has a lower corner speed than a P47 so it can pull more G's at lower speeds and will outturn any 47.The spit can also fight uphill when the speed get slow and thats something the 47 has trouble with also.

The only advantage the 47 has over the spit is speed and roll and against the spit16 I'm not sure if it has a roll advantage,against any unclipped spit it certainly does. A smart spit driver will just slow the fight down and kill the 47 with it's ability to gain or loose E at will.

Of course YMMV.

:salute

Offline Letalis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 07:09:15 PM »
D40 better than D25 except for looks, Spit better than D25 in a 1v1.  Many v Many Jugs rock  :rock
NEVER underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
-http://despair.com/demotivators.html

“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.” -Einstein

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 11:25:42 PM »
where the p47s really shine is in scenarios. the long reach of their guns, durability and diving speed makes them excellent teamwork aircraft where their low level acceleration, climb rate and turn rate are not as big of hinderances.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 11:39:04 PM »
where the p47s really shine is in scenarios. the long reach of their guns, durability and diving speed makes them excellent teamwork aircraft where their low level acceleration, climb rate and turn rate are not as big of hinderances.

I'd add to this the usual high alt flying that you find in scenarios really help the 47 shine,after all it's making power at those alts like most planes make atsea level. Combine this with it's hispeed flaps and then a 47 might give most planes something to think about.

Fester is spot on on his assesment!

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2012, 08:04:57 AM »
  Fester is spot on on his assesment!
Especially about the skins. If you are going to go down in flames, try to look good while doing so.
If you aren't going down, you are not trying hard enough.
 :airplane:
 :old:
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2012, 08:36:53 AM »
Great comments.  Thanks all.

It is a well known fact that the P-47 shines up high...just seeking more info on lower alt performance characteristics of the given 47s.

Sometimes I choose a 47 just cuz it is so tough.  Swoop in a take out ACK huggers and even live!  :rock

-- Flying as X15 --

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2012, 09:01:41 AM »
I've a slightly unrelated question--The "M" is essentially the same plane as D40/25 with superhot engine? I've been flying N for a long time.....(there ARE some unique things it can do, compared to D series, though a good stick with a D usually owns me in an even fight) Tried M for a few weeks....can't hit SQUAT with it...seems like the guns aim at something below the cowling, even whilst in level flight. I do NOT get this impression in D series...hitting targets at 600 is fairly easy. I expected gunnery to be different in M, as N has them further from center......I dunno. (At any rate, I frikkin hate everything ELSE about the M too....it goes fast in a straight line, is about it. Has nowhere near as much rudder effect as N, doesn't seem to roll as well either...doesnt seem to maneuver as well as D series either)
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline 4Prop

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2012, 11:46:35 AM »
the only reason i made that claim is because I've done it before. I've also turned with spits that had their flaps out as well. look at charts all you want but I've actually done it before.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2012, 11:55:44 AM »
the only reason i made that claim is because I've done it before. I've also turned with spits that had their flaps out as well. look at charts all you want but I've actually done it before.

out turning a noob, means nothing.

that's the only way you accomplished that....

I out flew a zero on the deck in a 152....does that mean a 152 can out turn a zero :headscratch:

listen Ill tell ya what I fly the KI84, the spit is a better fighter then the KI  so by your reasoning you should be able to out turn my KI....wanna try it?   

I know first hand that the jug stands NO chance trying to turn fight the KI......

the best of the best in the JUG lasted all of 2 turns against my KI....

what you are talking about is nonsense...plain and simple.

Offline Letalis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2012, 12:12:07 PM »
out turning a noob, means nothing.

that's the only way you accomplished that....

I out flew a zero on the deck in a 152....does that mean a 152 can out turn a zero :headscratch:

listen Ill tell ya what I fly the KI84, the spit is a better fighter then the KI  so by your reasoning you should be able to out turn my KI....wanna try it?   

I know first hand that the jug stands NO chance trying to turn fight the KI......

the best of the best in the JUG lasted all of 2 turns against my KI....

what you are talking about is nonsense...plain and simple.

QFT.  The spits tend to be a fave of noobs, and noobs leave the stall limiter on... 
Next time I'll last 3 turns against you INK :D

“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.” -Einstein

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2012, 12:18:13 PM »
QFT.  The spits tend to be a fave of noobs, and noobs leave the stall limiter on... 
Next time I'll last 3 turns against you INK :D

:rofl

you are by far the best I have seen/fought in the JUG with out a doubt

Offline Letalis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2012, 09:21:01 PM »

:rofl

you are by far the best I have seen/fought in the JUG with out a doubt

Lolz, thought you were more experienced than that...I defer to Lilmak and a number of others, for now. :devil

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2012, 10:06:10 PM »
P38 outturns Spit16s! I swear! I've seen it! With my own eyes! :eek:
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline Letalis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2012, 02:37:04 AM »
Yes, the B38 turns faster than the spit, but not with the tail section still attached...   :bolt: