Author Topic: P-47d40 vs. P-47d25  (Read 16609 times)

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: P-47d40 vs. P-47d25
« Reply #150 on: May 17, 2012, 09:49:22 AM »
Ah, could've swore it was 250.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #151 on: May 17, 2012, 05:22:34 PM »
Ah, could've swore it was 250.

That would be correct for the F4U's!  Trick question,which plane turns better at 400 mph,the P47 or the Spit16?

:salute

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #152 on: May 17, 2012, 05:36:44 PM »
Trick question,which plane turns better at 400 mph,the P47 or the Spit16?
Stirctly at 400mph, or through a very small speed zone, they are exactly equal. In a longer period, lets say, til the p47 slows down to a speed when it cant reach the blackout, the jug turns better: it can pull the same 6Gs but at a slower speed (can deploy the flaps at 400, can slow down quicker), smaller turn radius, faster turn rate. Not much, just a little bit better. Once the jug have reached the stall speed when it cant pull 6Gs anymore, the spit overtakes, being much better at the stall speed and also carrying more E what it can still turn into a rope (bah, spit roping a jug, shhh...) or an even better turn rate. The jug has only 1-2 reversals before its a dead meat.
Just theoretically, of course.
AoM
City of ice

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #153 on: May 17, 2012, 07:16:59 PM »
Stirctly at 400mph, or through a very small speed zone, they are exactly equal. In a longer period, lets say, til the p47 slows down to a speed when it cant reach the blackout, the jug turns better: it can pull the same 6Gs but at a slower speed (can deploy the flaps at 400, can slow down quicker), smaller turn radius, faster turn rate. Not much, just a little bit better. Once the jug have reached the stall speed when it cant pull 6Gs anymore, the spit overtakes, being much better at the stall speed and also carrying more E what it can still turn into a rope (bah, spit roping a jug, shhh...) or an even better turn rate. The jug has only 1-2 reversals before its a dead meat.

Hint,both planes are G limited to 6 G's in AH!

:salute

Offline Letalis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #154 on: May 17, 2012, 07:25:39 PM »

What we're getting into here is corner speed.  I can't remember the formula off the top of my head, but given that A:  blackout (~6.5g) is the limfac in the 400 range, B: Corner speed is fleeting and can only be maintained by going downhill with the planes in this game, and C: Most 1v1 fights end up slow,  sustained turn rate is arguably the more important figure to consider.  Whoever has the better sustained turn will likely also have the lower corner speed as well since it is basically a combined function of T/W and wind-loading. :airplane:
NEVER underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
-http://despair.com/demotivators.html

“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.” -Einstein

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #155 on: May 18, 2012, 12:18:11 PM »
The Jug is a happy medium. Flown right, it will out turn anything it can't outrun and out run anything it can't out turn. The deciding factor for that statment is acceleration. If you get too slow, the slower top speed planes will run it down before you can get to speed.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #156 on: January 16, 2013, 07:49:44 AM »
The P-47d25 "feels" more responsive than the P-47d40 to me.  I don't have any facts to back this up.  The d40 feels more sluggish in ACM.

Does anyone else find this true?

This is just a recent observation in putting in more d25 time.  Besides the great skins, I am finding it a great ride!
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #157 on: January 16, 2013, 09:52:33 AM »
D-25 definitely has a better turn rate. D-40 holds E a little better. Their performance is very similar to me though. I use the D-40 as my attack jug because of the ordnance load which is the same as the N. The N, however, is a complete dog when it runs out of WEP which is the only reason I don't fly it more.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #158 on: January 16, 2013, 10:55:02 AM »
I loves me the D11

Offline Ninthmessiah

• Copper Member
« Reply #159 on: January 16, 2013, 11:49:56 AM »
For air combat:  the D11.  'Nuff said.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #160 on: January 16, 2013, 01:59:27 PM »
D-25 definitely has a better turn rate. D-40 holds E a little better. Their performance is very similar to me though.
The main difference between the D-25 and -40 is that -40 has slightly better WEP a few more lbs and better longitudinal stability due to the added area in the tail (the low fin infront of the tail). Perhaps the added stability is what makes the D-25 feels a bit snappier, but any actual performance difference is extremely marginal. The real differences lie in the loadout selection (rockets), skin selection and the looks of the cockpit. I find that I like the -25 skins and cockpit better.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #161 on: January 17, 2013, 07:27:51 AM »
I read through all 11 pages of this thread with morning coffee or more factual, coffees.  I was surprised the M got so little press.  The M was even dogged by a couple of posters.  The P47D40 is my go to plane in attack mode with its 2 thousand pound'ers an a extra 500 pound'er.

P47 people seem to be defensive of their choice.  Not sure why I don't join the ranks of the spits, mustangs, Kis and 109s myself albeit  I do enjoy a furbal in an La7.

In AH where, as noted many times, the good dogfights are below 10k, the best situation is being part of a fighter cap at 5-7K above an enemy field.  With a full load of ammo it is like shooting fish in a barrel because you can make a pass and wep up on the other side as all know.

In an equal strength furbal the 47M with its wep and good starting E does well as long as the furbal is so intense that no one can saddle up on you for any length of time.   When the intensity winds down, it is run time because those good turners with high climb rates is too much to handle. Run out and gain the E back at the right time which is hard to do for me do to a lack of discipline. 

To me it seems the sweet spot for jugs is 5k to 8k then working down and 15K and up. 

That is my take on it but not a lot of experience to back that up.

Offline Ninthmessiah

• Copper Member
« Reply #162 on: January 17, 2013, 10:26:38 AM »
I read through all 11 pages of this thread with morning coffee or more factual, coffees.  I was surprised the M got so little press.
The OP limited the inquiry to the D25 and D40.
The M was even dogged by a couple of posters.
Noobs
To me it seems the sweet spot for jugs is 5k to 8k then working down and 15K and up. 
No.  The sweet spot for jugs is above 28k.  I can count on one hand how many high altitude fights I've had in the jug and they were amazing.  Nothing could climb with me nor catch up to me.  The last high-alt engagement was a 5v1.  Walked away with two scalps.  Got a little dicey there when I had a pony at 200 off my six, but he couldn't get his nose up for the shot.

Of course if there was a Ta152 present, things might have more difficult.

You like the M jug now...?  Try upping with 75% fuel and light ammo load.  When you get it down to 25% and 300 rounds left, it's a different plane.  You can actually rope things that you never thought possible.  This is assuming you've conserved your wep.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #163 on: January 17, 2013, 10:27:34 AM »
the best situation is being part of a fighter cap at 5-7K above an enemy field.  With a full load of ammo it is like shooting fish in a barrel

It's amazing how many get their jollies from this type of behavior.  :(
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #164 on: January 17, 2013, 04:44:03 PM »
It's amazing how many get their jollies from this type of behavior.  :(

Nah the blue thingy in your UBB image is amazing.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone