Author Topic: It is difficult to find a good fight...  (Read 1849 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: It is difficult to find a good fight...
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2012, 08:28:43 AM »
My experience was that I wanted to get a duel from which I could learn something. Fair enough the importance of coming to an agreement on how it was to be executed was underlined to me, but while dueling I felt the opportunity to learn was destroyed by the adversary's desire to just win the fight. I have not been active for 2 months roughly so knew I was unable to give it my best. Was looking for fun hoping to learn something from it while getting to know another player. None of my expectations were met really.

In real air combat training newbies often make a neutral pass before maneuvering for safety reasons. This is not a concern in Aces High but a neutral pass is an acceptable condition when stated prior to the start.

Extending to reset the fight is not appropriate to a duel. Nobody wants to wait 10 minutes while somebody climbs away from them. When you have to extend you are saying that you were in a position where you'd lose if you didn't exit.  Resetting the fight is ending the first fight and starting the second one.

As in the merge you need to state the conditions for the duel prior to starting. If both parties agree to the faster better climbing aircraft taking all day to extend and improve their position that's fine but personally I wouldn't agree to it.

If your intention in a duel is destroyed by your opponent wanting to win then you don't want a duel, you want training.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 08:38:49 AM by FLS »

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2012, 08:35:47 AM »
The DA is worthless because it has F-3 mode.

anyone you duel that is at least worth their arse isn't in F3 mode.   sure, you may have the occasional F3 moron over the lake, but to call the DA worthless based on some half-cocked assumption that "every is doing it" is simply ignorant.
-AoM-

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2012, 11:13:01 AM »
You may proceed bashing me if you like, as if I care.

Not exactly seeing where I bashed you unless telling someone they misunderstood is bashing.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2012, 11:55:47 AM »
I think I know where Turner is coming from. Back when I first started in AH the first dueling ladder I was in, 2000 I think, the rules were merge at same altitude , no maneuvering until after the merge. Since then diving at the merge, lead turns etc. seem to have become the norm.

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2012, 12:02:53 PM »
I think I know where Turner is coming from. Back when I first started in AH the first dueling ladder I was in, 2000 I think, the rules were merge at same altitude , no maneuvering until after the merge. Since then diving at the merge, lead turns etc. seem to have become the norm.

shamus

Exactly where he is coming from. 
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2012, 12:09:45 PM »
Exactly where he is coming from. 

In the old days it was pretty much strait up duel, today everyone's looking for an edge instead of going head to head counting on skill.

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2012, 04:06:16 PM »
I think I'm done with this discussion, I would like to add this though as food for thought. There are no true masters, only true students. If you lack the burning desire to learn something new, you are none of the two... but a fool indeed if you think you are.

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2012, 04:26:11 PM »
Here's dessert for your food for thought.   :cheers:

The smaller the understanding the more pretentious the explanation.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2012, 04:32:26 PM »
If someone is serious about a duel they will agree on using the same plane with the same loadout and fuel to remove this possibility.

at the time I was un-aware that Turner is completely alien to common dueling practices.   Even selecting the same plane with 25% fuel seemed to put him off.   Then the focus turned to the merge after strictly E-fighting didn't have the desired effect.  

The last fight we had was the only one not in the same aircraft we went P40N vs 190A5 (he said pick a plane without me knowing what he wanted to fly),  that negated the difference in skill and Turner finally managed to use the planes advantages successfully after 5 minutes of reversals and counter pings.    Did I enjoy that fight?  Not really, if I want to get BnZ ed to death I can do that in the MA  ;).  Did I come to the forum and suggest the whole concept of people dueling in AH is  incorrect?   No.  

I'm putting this one down to a big difference in opinion and was going to leave it until it was obviously directed at me.  I went in there for some fun / help a fellow AH er get back on his feet.   :rolleyes:
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2012, 04:47:14 PM »
Edit: Bruv119, to say that one plane is allowed to take advantage of its strengths in a duel while the other isn't is pure mindless stupidity. Why don't you just set yourself up for some target practice then? Oh... well that's exactly what you do anyway isn't it. To prohibit a P51 or FW190 from extending during a duel is exactly the same as telling a spitfire it is not allowed to pull more than 3 G's. I am apalled that someone with your experience think that this would be a fair way to conduct a duel. Forgive me it's nothing personal I just react strongly to your claim that it would be 'fair' to effectively prevent a 190 from having a chance.

Not once did I question your tactics or prohibit "extending" mid fight.   Even Dis-engaging when I was on your 6, with enough energy to follow you.  As you say not much fun chasing the same plane 400-600 yards behind taking pot shots.  Some people can try and force an overshoot if they get enough separation but not if your right behind them.

Kind of like Debrody asking for re-merges when he initiates a turning circle fight and loses it.  :old:
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2012, 04:52:34 PM »
I think I'm done with this discussion, I would like to add this though as food for thought. There are no true masters, only true students. If you lack the burning desire to learn something new, you are none of the two... but a fool indeed if you think you are.

I am one of the worst shots ingame, even though I have been flying in AH for about 7 years.

I can fly with the best of them, probably get guns on them first.....

you think passing each other wingtip to wingtip is a duel, I say you are wrong in the understanding of what a duel is....

first off, when it is done this way it just comes down to who can yak the stick back faster....there is no skill in that.

second off, dueling is a skill for killing the red guy,   in the MA where most killing and dieing is done you want to know how to kill as fast as possible, just for the simple fact of the massive hoards...of course if you always are in the massive green hoard it don't matter what you do you will never really learn how to fight....

the merge is where the fight/duel is won or lost...if you really want to learn how to merge, I would have no problem taking ya to the TA and show ya how to merge, I don't say DA because in the DA...you cant take hits and reset....which is one of the best things to do for truly learning.....

don't take any of this as insults its not meant that way....if you really wanna learn.....lets go to the TA.

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2012, 05:12:38 PM »
Here's dessert for your food for thought.   :cheers:

The smaller the understanding the more pretentious the explanation.

I appreciate your comment, but do not believe you understood mine. It was not disrespectful in any way, and the dessert is all yours.  :cheers:

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2012, 08:42:38 PM »
What the hells this thread all about? Someone goes to the trouble of helping you and you come in to GD and post that your experience with him is that hes a cheater??  :rolleyes:

Dunno how your backing out of this still believing this comes down to a matter of opinion, if you had any sort of character you'd have posted an apology for wrongly accusing someone who was trying to help you of cheating Turner.

Offline The Jekyll

• Nickel Member
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2012, 09:03:40 PM »
See rules 9 and 10 of dueling:

Rule 9. All imputations of cheating at play, races, etc., to be considered equivalent to a blow; but may be reconciled after one shot, on admitting their falsehood and begging pardon publicly.

Rule 10. Any insult to a lady under a gentleman's care or protection to be considered as, by one degree, a greater offense than if given to the gentleman personally, and to be regulated accordingly.

:aok
Yea, simply because I can

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2012, 09:31:34 PM »

anyone you duel that is at least worth their arse isn't in F3 mode.   sure, you may have the occasional F3 moron over the lake, but to call the DA worthless based on some half-cocked assumption that "every is doing it" is simply ignorant.

I've had enough duels in the past few years, generally I have a set of rules - I don't openly duel just anyone. I ran into my fair share of "Hoers" or "picks their OWN ride....", ones who on a Cold merge 5k alt climb to 10k then dive to BnZ until fuel runs out.

Waste of time unless you know who you are flying against.

JG 52