Author Topic: Burning parts smashed off!  (Read 594 times)

Offline Klam

• Copper Member
Burning parts smashed off!
« on: May 18, 2012, 02:11:30 PM »
Just seen something I doubt I will see again.
Myself and a friendly were fighting with a Typhoon.  I was in a 109f4 and the friend a Ki-84.
We were all down on the deck and the Typhoon made for a nearby V base.
After getting pinged by his ack I managed to tag the Typh and get him burning.  I cut away from the base and ack with an oil leak and waited for the kill message to appear...............nothing :headscratch:

I've just seen the film....

The Typhoon, whilst billowing orange flame and deadstick, ditches so hard into his base that the burning wing gets smashed off.  He also lost the other wing and both elevators.  He towered and I had to ditch my oil dry 109

LOL I hope I get some of that luck
=Anglo-Saxon=

ingame ID: Petrol

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Burning parts smashed off!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 02:38:53 PM »
It's crazy what can happen in some of the planes.  I've 'safely' landed P38s well out of control in ways that I'm reasonably certain would have killed me in any other aircraft.  For some reason the 38s seem to be more able to survive landing at really bad angles if your vertical speed is low enough.

My favorite was still the 262 I got the vstab shot off of.  Out of frustration, I started jerking the stick just to try to keep it level-ish.  I found in a few seconds that while I couldn't control my direction, the plane was flopping along like a leaf just gradually descending toward the ocean.  Wide open throttle, airspeed ~150ish, it fluttered to the water and I got a safe ditch.  I was left just sitting in the chair going, 'Did that just happen?'

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 03:06:36 PM »
  Klam,

That happens sometimes and all you can do is laugh and reup!   I denied a player a kill once by sliding my mossie into the indestructable hanger on a VB after he had shot off most of my right wing!

Turns out it was a friend and we both had a good laugh over it,all he said to me was... Lucky Bastige!

:rofl :rofl :rofl

:salute

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 03:52:14 PM »
I've done that many times. Upping from a capped field gets you into that position a lot. Skidding to a stop with most of your plane missing and getting a good landing is one the most fun things you can do I think!.

Offline Tracers

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 04:39:39 PM »
Last night something similar (sorta, kinda) happened to me. I had been oil hit and was fighting Birddogs Seafire. The oil had me a big way to being blind and we collided as he came up under me, no biggie accidents happen. I looked back to see how he faired and saw my plane well alight, flames billowing from my right wing. flew on for about 3 or 4 seconds before I heard something tear off the right side of my plane. Looked back again and wow no fire.. Still wound up plummeting to my untimely death from missing control surfaces but the fire was out. Most likely a graphics thing more that anything but I sure was surprised to see my fire was gone.

I know not quite the same situation as landing a flaming plane but worthy of a mention I think.

:airplane:
Your tears feed me 😃

Offline Klam

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 07:00:20 PM »
It was one of the best AH moments I can remember. :aok

=Anglo-Saxon=

ingame ID: Petrol

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 07:57:34 AM »
Funny when you skid onto runway with little remaining of your plane :)
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 10:23:51 AM »
I was landing on a CV with injured plane and missed the CV, instead I landed underneath ithe cv in the water and I still got a good landing and my kills.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty