Author Topic: USA's jet fighter that wasn't built  (Read 3189 times)

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
Re: USA's jet fighter that wasn't built
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2012, 05:23:10 PM »
At this point in AH they could literally add flying hair dryers to the game and I wouldn't care.

If I can shoot it down, then good to go.

Wish granted     :D

Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2012, 10:20:48 AM »
In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2012, 10:59:30 AM »
The biggest frustration for the pilots of 616 Squadron was that they never clashed with the Me 262, or indeed with any German fighter aircraft. They came close towards the end of the war when a flight of Meteors encountered a force of Fw 190s, but they were forced to abandon their attack when other RAF fighters mistook them for Me 262s

So, had your boys not botched their run on those FW-190s, WE MIGHT HAVE METEORS IN GAME.  :bolt:

:x :cheers: :salute

Meteors never ran into Fw-190, the meteor never had visual CONTACT of any hostile enemy fighters what so ever, why this exaggeration keeps getting told is beyond me.

Last thread was "4 meteors engaged a dozen Fw-190s" - 616 Squadron report clearly stated they were to avoid contact with ANY Enemy fighters period, again for the reason of having one of the meteor's fall into the Russian hands in case one does go down.

If there was any visual contact, they would of broken for home  as ordered to do so. I researched the entire 616 Squadron and did not see any mention of combat action against Fw-190s.

JG 52

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2012, 12:52:34 PM »
Meteors never ran into Fw-190, the meteor never had visual CONTACT of any hostile enemy fighters what so ever, why this exaggeration keeps getting told is beyond me.

Last thread was "4 meteors engaged a dozen Fw-190s" - 616 Squadron report clearly stated they were to avoid contact with ANY Enemy fighters period, again for the reason of having one of the meteor's fall into the Russian hands in case one does go down.

If there was any visual contact, they would of broken for home  as ordered to do so. I researched the entire 616 Squadron and did not see any mention of combat action against Fw-190s.

First off, gonna go ahead and go with source on this one... sorry Butch.

Rickard, J (13 February 2008), Gloster Meteor during the Second World War , http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_gloster_meteor_WWII.html

Second, they were forbidden to fly over German occupied territory, not forbidden to engage enemy fighters... that's just silly.

In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2012, 01:25:09 PM »
First off, gonna go ahead and go with source on this one... sorry Butch.

Rickard, J (13 February 2008), Gloster Meteor during the Second World War , http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_gloster_meteor_WWII.html

Second, they were forbidden to fly over German occupied territory, not forbidden to engage enemy fighters... that's just silly.

Problem with engaging enemy aircraft is air battles stretch for miles, if you forget history in the case of Lanoe Hawker VC - who fell far behind the German lines engaging von Richthofen, eventually got shot down trying to make a break for his own lines.

Sometimes you don't want history repeating itself, especially if you don't want your top secret aircraft to fall into nimble hands :)

Btw the source comes from "Gloster Meteor" Britain's Celebrated First-Generation Jet
by Aerofax - written by Phil Butler and Tony Buttler from England
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 02:46:32 PM by Butcher »
JG 52

Offline Lab Rat 3947

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2012, 01:40:46 AM »
mBailey, just curious, what is the armament on that hairdryer?  :old:
LtngRydr
14th FG Grounded

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2012, 07:35:27 AM »
Is this the same "butler" who wrote "spitfire"?

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2012, 11:54:51 AM »
mBailey, just curious, what is the armament on that hairdryer?  :old:

200 rnds 20mm bobby pins.  :D

500  .50 cal 

I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Lab Rat 3947

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2012, 02:07:25 AM »
the 200 rnds of mm sounds good    :old:
LtngRydr
14th FG Grounded

80th FS "Headhunters"