Author Topic: 11.81@121mph  (Read 3189 times)

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
Re: 11.81@121mph
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2012, 09:19:38 PM »
Well take that 402 I fly, the turbos will maintain the boost all the way till 18,000ft.

So I'm thinking that supercharger is set at let's say 8 psi. So it gets it's 8 spi and dumps the rest. At 2,000ft the thing will still get it's 8 psi it will just have to gather more 'air', thus o2. The system can't be that much different than a plane turbo and have a "critical altitude' of 0ft. That GT500 supercharger is not maxed out at sea level is it? And whatever PSI it's geared for is not the max available boost it can put out either.

Do I make sense? :devil
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2012, 09:44:30 PM »
it is a lot different i think.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2012, 09:46:41 PM »
sure, but a lower air density still equals less boost..

Well, not until you get to an altitude where the supercharger is no longer able to make up the difference. (Assuming the system is capable of over-boosting the engine at sea level)
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2012, 09:51:42 PM »
the pullies will spin the supercharger at the same speed, regardless of alt.....or density alt....thus, less air will be force fed to the engine at 2k
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2012, 10:02:33 PM »
But there's a waste gate isn't it? The pulley will provide boost and the waste gate will make sure it stays there. (Not taht I know much, just trying to understand). I drove a turbocharged diesel truck over the rockies, and man at 8,000ft that thing felt just like at sea level.
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2012, 11:08:44 PM »
the gt500 is about 250# lighter than the zl1.  :aok

Never mind, got ZL-1 confused with ZR-1 :lol  :O, I see ZL-1 I still think 69 prototype vette before I think COPO camaro.

:salute
BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2012, 11:13:33 PM »
But there's a waste gate isn't it? The pulley will provide boost and the waste gate will make sure it stays there. (Not taht I know much, just trying to understand). I drove a turbocharged diesel truck over the rockies, and man at 8,000ft that thing felt just like at sea level.
no waste gate on a blower
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2012, 11:13:37 PM »
CAP, really are you going to compare a GT500 to a ZL-1 on a road course?  See if you can find a picture of those two GT500's on the track with factory tires, I bet I can find one with the ZL-1 on factory tires.  This is the info they don't let out.  It's simple physics, the GT500 is how much heavier then a ZL-1, to get close to the same times it has to increase grip dramatically over what the ZL-1 has, to make up for it's increased weight.  200 extra lbs in a corner pulling 1g or more is a lot more extra tire loading then one might think.  One day you'd think CAP would get over his corvette envy and just buy one and be done with it :lol  

BigRat

It's simple fact.

2012 ZL1 - 580 horsepower, 556 pound-feet of torque and 4120 pound curb weight.

2013 GT500 - 662 horsepower, 631 pound-feet of torque and 3850 pound curb weight.

Are you laughing because you blinked and realized you are wrong?
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2012, 11:14:24 PM »
Never mind, got ZL-1 confused with ZR-1 :lol  :O, I see ZL-1 I still think 69 prototype vette before I think COPO camaro.

BigRat
the copo isn't street legal. it's an attempt to compete with the cobrajets.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2012, 11:30:13 PM »
Positive diplacement superchargers like on the ZL-1, GT500, ZR-1, my car, etc. don't use a wastegate. This is becouse boost is built after the throttlebody, not before it, like in a centrifigual(sp?) or turbo, Centrifigual(sp?) superchargers do need a waste gate.  Boost in these engines is limited by how fast you can spin the blower (pulley sizes) and the engines restriction to flow.  Boost and air density go hand and hand.  At a given pulley speed and ambient temp the supercharger will displace so much volume of air.  Now take that air and cool it and use the same example.  Now that the air is denser you have more of it being pushed in for the same pulley revolutions, thereby the pressure built is more (packed in tighter).  The opposite is true for heating the air.  Now we have come to the reasons of intercoolers and alky injection.  We want a consistent air charge tempreture so that we can control things like detonation under boost.  My car previous to the alcohol injection would very boost between 7 and 9lbs depending on outside temp and engine heat soak, this is with an intercooler of similiar design to the OE cars above.  Now with both the intercooler improvements and Alky injection it stays a pretty stable 9psi, I've seen 9.5 in the winter (makes real good power there :D).  So yes altitude does effect these cars, becouse it effects air density.  But it's not near the effect that altitude has on normally aspirated cars.

BigRat      
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 11:39:58 PM by Big Rat »
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2012, 11:34:28 PM »
It's simple fact.

2012 ZL1 - 580 horsepower, 556 pound-feet of torque and 4120 pound curb weight.

2013 GT500 - 662 horsepower, 631 pound-feet of torque and 3850 pound curb weight.

Are you laughing because you blinked and realized you are wrong?

See Above post on getting Z%-1 confused, and I was laughing becouse CAP is a closet vette guy and won't admit it openly

BigRat

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2012, 11:51:35 PM »
Positive diplacement superchargers like on the ZL-1, GT500, ZR-1, my car, etc. don't use a wastegate. This is becouse boost is built after the throttlebody, not before it, like in a centrifigual(sp?) or turbo, Centrifigual(sp?) superchargers do need a waste gate.  Boost in these engines is limited by how fast you can spin the blower (pulley sizes) and the engines restriction to flow.  Boost and air density go hand and hand.  At a given pulley speed and ambient temp the supercharger will displace so much volume of air.  Now take that air and cool it and use the same example.  Now that the air is denser you have more of it being pushed in for the same pulley revolutions, thereby the pressure built is more (packed in tighter).  The opposite is true for heating the air.  Now we have come to the reasons of intercoolers and alky injection.  We want a consistent air charge tempreture so that we can control things like detonation under boost.  My car previous to the alcohol injection would very boost between 7 and 9lbs depending on outside temp and engine heat soak, this is with an intercooler of similiar design to the OE cars above.  Now with both the intercooler improvements and Alky injection it stays a pretty stable 9psi, I've seen 9.5 in the winter (makes real good power there :D).  So yes altitude does effect these cars, becouse it effects air density.  But it's not near the effect that altitude has on normally aspirated cars.

BigRat      

very excellent explanation.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2012, 11:53:18 PM »
See Above post on getting Z%-1 confused, and I was laughing becouse CAP is a closet vette guy and won't admit it openly

BigRat

oohh...i've admitted it before......when grey eagle i think it was? was selling his z06, i was interested....i hesitated, and lost on that one.

now, at this point, i prolly won't have one, 'cause if i ditch my gt, i'm gettin a boss302.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2012, 11:55:19 PM »
there's rumors that the two gt500's that were at the ring last year(a red one and a black one) both did in fact match, and beat the zl at the ring. one was rumored to be in the mid 7:40's, the other was rumored to be in the mid 7:30's.

regardless of what anyone says, the shelbys will always outperform the boss mustangs. in every way.

Rumors are just that.... rumors.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2012, 11:56:51 PM »
very excellent explanation.  :aok

The turbo on my diesel has computer adjusted fins. I always thought that was pretty cool.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)