Author Topic: Oscar  (Read 4061 times)

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
Re: Oscar
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2012, 08:07:31 AM »
Titan,
the point is, the Oscar can easily outmaneuver every other aircraft in game. In the other hand, its very slow and has really weak guns... even if we get the 12.7mm model.
The other planes could just dive away, or accelerate away in level flight before those little guns could hurt them fatally. In the ki-84 you can accelerate to 300mph with anything.
This aircraft would be very dangerous for zeeks, hurries, f4f4s, brewsters... but only in 1v1. And horribly outclassed by literally anything else.

Im afraid it would be a pretty bad hangar queen after its first week. Yup, even in scenarios: the zeek (another japaneese aircraft, already the best turnfighter in game) can still dominate the early pacific setup, and against corsairs the turn rate does not count. They get outturned in 2 turns either against the zeek or the ki43. The diference is, the zeek can at least hurt them with the 20mms before they dive away.

Not against the plane... but think about it.
AoM
City of ice

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2012, 08:52:51 AM »
debrody,

I shot down a P-47N using just the two 7.7mm  guns on the D3A1 before he could accelerate away from me.  If the D3A1 can do it to a P-47N then the Ki-43-II should have no problem doing it to any fighter that just tries to accelerate away.

Have you tried using just the 12.7s on the Ki-61 or Ki-84?  I recall on Ki-84 flight were after bagging four I was out of 20mm ammo and a Hurri IIc, a reasonably tough aircraft that out turns the Ki-84, was in the area and I was able to BnZ the Hurri down with just the 12.7mm guns and have enough ammo left to kill a C-47A on my way home.  Sure, they're not heavy firepower, but they'll get the job done a heck of a lot better than the two 7.7mm guns on the D3A1 will.

In addition, this plane shot down more Allied planes than did the A6M, despite having a production run over 4,000 less than that of the A6M and the lack of 20mm cannons.  The Ki-43 is the second most produced Japanese aircraft after the A6M and an important factor in WWII air combat.  Not having it in the Pacific and CBI settings is literally like not having the Fw190 for European settings.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 08:58:31 AM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2012, 09:00:41 AM »
Allright, i see your point, the question is, how poor that jug pilot was, also how many times you have to try before you can do it again.
Yes i shot down many planes with the 109G's 12mms. Spits, ki's ect. They arent as bad at all. But again, the ki84 or even the 61 is a LOT faster than the ki43, ergo it isnt as easy to escape.
In a cartoon world where spit16s and ki84s try to run from a 109G, i dont expect much success and fun for the ki43. Whats is fun btw...  but thats for another discussion.

Edit: i stated, this plane could be very dangerous to hurries, brewsters, F4F4s and possibly to p40s too, the entire EW PTO allied arsenal. Possibly thats why it was successful at that part of the war. Flying it would be no different from the zeek tho: come with alt, once you make them turn, they are dead. But in every other situation, this plane would be seriously outclassed.

Edit2: i got 3 kills in a Stuka once too, was alone against an f4u, then an la7 n a pony, yea it happened, but only once and never ever again. Still i wouldnt bring it up as a reason.
Anyway, im not against it, if you think you would fly with this plane, i wish you to find all the fun with it.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 09:23:34 AM by Debrody »
AoM
City of ice

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2012, 09:03:11 AM »
Very poor, but my point was that leveling out and trying to run resulted in his tough P-47N and its elevators deciding to part company due to the fire of an aircraft that has something like 1/5th the firepower of the twin 12.7mm armed, much better accelerating, Ki-43-II.  Yes, it would be out classed by many fighters, but the anti-Ki-43 guys exaggerate how badly it would do.  Nobody is claiming it would see tons of use, but there are frankly not many WWII aircraft left to add that will see tons of use.  Its historical significance alone demands its addition and in all three versions.

Also, the Ki-43-III could do about 365, which isn't that much slower than the Ki-61.  Ki-43-II's 335 is rather slow and the Ki-43-I's 315 is very slow, almost as slow as the B239 and I-16.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 09:17:41 AM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2012, 09:16:21 AM »
The only time I'll use the Oscar if it gets added is during CV defense. Why? Because almost everyone who lifts off a CV never goes above 5K. Everyone is always on the deck fighting. An the Oscar will wreck every single CV plane. And I would assume the ENY is going to be 30 or 35. Can you say perk farm?

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2012, 11:46:04 AM »
I'm a very biased, but I just don't accept that "We don't need it because it is outclassed in the MA."

This game is so much more than the MA. There are hundreds of players that would have left long ago if we didn't have special events.

The Oscar will be used extensively in places other than the MA.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2012, 12:21:32 PM »

Also the Ki-43 is so weak it only has 2 mgs, it can't beat it's way out of a wetpaper bag.

Yep, so weak that its the Japanese fighter that was responsible for the most Allied planes shot down and almost all Japanese air force aces became aces in the Ki-43. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2012, 12:33:52 PM »
One of the things that would be kind of fun about the Ki-43, besides the extended fights (I know that may look odd coming from a guy with a Mossie in his avatar, something that specializes in ending fights rapidly), is the fact that you have an extremely maneuverable fighter without the use of flaps and then you get the fowler flaps (as on P-38, Ki-84 and N1K2-J) that Nakajima added to seemingly every fighter they designed in WWII.

That does sound like a fun toy, as long as you're willing to put up with the light armament and construction.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2012, 12:45:52 PM »
One of the things that would be kind of fun about the Ki-43, besides the extended fights (I know that may look odd coming from a guy with a Mossie in his avatar, something that specializes in ending fights rapidly), is the fact that you have an extremely maneuverable fighter without the use of flaps and then you get the fowler flaps (as on P-38, Ki-84 and N1K2-J) that Nakajima added to seemingly every fighter they designed in WWII.

That does sound like a fun toy, as long as you're willing to put up with the light armament and construction.

Yep. And it was a fun toy in WarBirds back in the day. It also has a very nice power to weight ratio especially when comparing it to other maneuverable but slow fighters.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Mitsu

• Gold Member
      • Himitsu no blog (Mitsu's secret blog - written by Japanese)
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2012, 07:42:32 PM »
I may be able to out-turn AKAK's P-38J in Ki-43...

I may be able to out-turn Wmaker's Brewster in Ki-43...

throw away Ki-84 now...

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2012, 05:43:58 AM »
throw away Ki-84 now...

Blasphemy Mitsu San!  :mad:
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2012, 09:26:24 AM »
Yep, so weak that its the Japanese fighter that was responsible for the most Allied planes shot down and almost all Japanese air force aces became aces in the Ki-43. 

ack-ack

shooting down what aircraft?

You can quote history, but the MA isn't history in action. The plane will be a hangar queen because it will be very uncompetitive in the LW-MA which is where 98% of the sorties are flown. I'm not against the plane, but I hate to see HTC spend precious resources on planes that will take three years of MA flight time to log more man-hours that it took to develop. That said there is a very vocal croud for this plane. your dedication is admireable.  :salute

NEW RULE:  All the folks that lobbied for a plane, HAVE to log 90% of their MA time in it for 1 year.  :D ;)

I wonder if Lusche has a graph that correlates how many posts supporting a particular plane someone has posted vs. what percentage of time they spend in that plane once it's added?

It would be cool if HTC had a on-line list of planes on the development list with a check box that you could vote for. It records one vote so if a new plane gets added, you can vote for it, but you vote would come off the other plane you voted for. 1 vote per player. Then the list would update in real time as to priority based on votes.
Who is John Galt?

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2012, 09:42:17 AM »
Special events are a big part of this game. I think it sucks that some think that community should only get LW-MA table scraps.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2012, 09:48:40 AM »
Special events are a big part of this game. I think it sucks that some think that community should only get LW-MA table scraps.

Easy now.  ;)
Who is John Galt?

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2012, 09:50:07 AM »
The plane will only be as competitive as its pilot is, and will only be as outclassed as its pilot is (and there are a lot of folks in this game that have no class...so I can see that as a problem)

So do we just want to say that if it isn't as fast as a pony with the firepower of the Me262, then it's going to be a hanger queen? So if we already have these two planes we shouldn't add anymore?

If it has a prop, engine, wing, a gun, and flew combat in WW2 then it should be added.

And if your convinced that YOU will never have the skill to fly it, then that's fine...there is always a 500mph eny 5 warrior pick fest you can join to make you feel good.

The rest of us are just looking for our fun as well.

+1 for the Ki-43's

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC