Author Topic: Oscar  (Read 4440 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Oscar
« Reply #120 on: May 25, 2012, 08:49:59 AM »
Seeing how strenuously people objected to the 950/1150/1190hp Ki-43-I/-II/-III as being inadequate for the game, it is going to be quite amusing to see how many objections arise for the most needed Italian fighter, the two 12.7mm armed, 840hp, open cockpited, C.200.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #121 on: May 25, 2012, 09:26:35 AM »
It will be hangar queen although I want to see it too.
Ki-84-I-Otsu, Ki-44-II-Hei, Ki-100-I, J2M3 or Ki-61-II-KAI would be useful for Main Arena.  :)
Hiya Mitsu ! Well at least I know two people would be flying it....but then again I like to fly Emils in LWMA. I think people would be very surprised would this little Queen could do to their uber birds. Besides ....we need a little something more to counter with the deadly Brewster Buffalo.

Offline DrBone1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #122 on: May 25, 2012, 09:30:09 AM »
Seeing how strenuously people objected to the 950/1150/1190hp Ki-43-I/-II/-III as being inadequate for the game, it is going to be quite amusing to see how many objections arise for the most needed Italian fighter, the two 12.7mm armed, 840hp, open cockpited, C.200.
I would fly it.  :airplane:
=The Damned=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jjnCoBobc
I see DrBone has found a new Sith apprentice. Good, good, let the hate flow through you.  :devil
Move up, move over, or move aside.  Simple kombat 101.

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #123 on: May 25, 2012, 09:30:29 AM »
I'm a very biased, but I just don't accept that "We don't need it because it is outclassed in the MA."

This game is so much more than the MA. There are hundreds of players that would have left long ago if we didn't have special events.

The Oscar will be used extensively in places other than the MA.

AMEN!

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #124 on: May 25, 2012, 09:32:19 AM »
Yep. And it was a fun toy in WarBirds back in the day. It also has a very nice power to weight ratio especially when comparing it to other maneuverable but slow fighters.
It was DEADLY in WBs.

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #125 on: May 25, 2012, 09:34:46 AM »
shooting down what aircraft?

You can quote history, but the MA isn't history in action. The plane will be a hangar queen because it will be very uncompetitive in the LW-MA which is where 98% of the sorties are flown.

And this is the saddest, worst reason NOT to have it.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #126 on: May 25, 2012, 09:49:47 AM »
my opinion on the whole debate about pilot "skill" vs "plane performance"

the closer to skill the 2 pilots are, plane performance becomes more of a factor....it is simple really

a vet (who actually fights) will always win against a noob in the better plane...even if the planes performance are at opposite ends of the spectrum.....

2 pilots of equal skill (in all aspects of fighting) in the same plane with equal E....it will be the first one that makes a mistake that loses......

2 pilots of equal skill.... the one that is in the better performing plane, will win..... the easier the win will be if the planes performance is further apart.

the great thing about dogfighting are all the variables....NO 2 dogfights are ever the same, that is why I find dogfighting so enthralling.

^^This
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #127 on: May 25, 2012, 09:54:11 AM »
I mean absolutely no offense when I say this but considering the years of experience and expertise of HT and staff how difficult can it be to add ANY oft used WWII plane, particularly one which has been modeled in the past.

I feel the Yak 3 is just as good a candidate for addition as the Oscar.

This IS a wishlist.

I had no Idea my simple long asked for wish would arouse so much controversy, and I Salute all of you on all sides of the issue.

Where were we....Man, I wish we had an Oscar and Yak3.....and birds, yeah birds we could collide with and and and :pray

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #128 on: May 25, 2012, 11:53:49 AM »

And this is the saddest, worst reason NOT to have it.

I challenge you to produce the HUNDREDS of people who would have left the game except for scenarios [featuring old outdated fighters]

You made that up.

Who is John Galt?

Offline Mitsu

• Gold Member
      • Himitsu no blog (Mitsu's secret blog - written by Japanese)
« Reply #129 on: May 25, 2012, 05:08:01 PM »
Hiya Mitsu ! Well at least I know two people would be flying it....but then again I like to fly Emils in LWMA. I think people would be very surprised would this little Queen could do to their uber birds. Besides ....we need a little something more to counter with the deadly Brewster Buffalo.

Yeah, Brewster Buffalo is dangerous turner in AH.
In history Japanese pilots shot down them easily though.
I'm interested that how the oscar turns against them in AH.

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #130 on: May 25, 2012, 10:28:58 PM »
     Some people will fly it in the MA, as to those who won't...how exactly will it hurt you to include it in the stable?  It's not like HTC
is going to pull your latewar uberiron to make room for it. :confused:
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #131 on: May 25, 2012, 10:35:39 PM »
Yeah, Brewster Buffalo is dangerous turner in AH.
In history Japanese pilots shot down them easily though.
I'm interested that how the oscar turns against them in AH.

Did the Japanese fight many Finns?
See Rule #4

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #132 on: May 25, 2012, 10:42:29 PM »
I challenge you to produce the HUNDREDS of people who would have left the game except for scenarios [featuring old outdated fighters]

You made that up.

He's not the one who said that, I did, and it's speculation.

I know there are plenty of folks that fly special events and AvA and rarely or never fly in the MA.

The Oscar and many other outdated fighters are very useful for more historically based play and there is a market here for that. In this type of play, they aren't matched against F4U-Cs and P-51D's.

It's not like the MA is starving for late war uber rides.  
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 11:00:40 PM by jimson »

Offline Mitsu

• Gold Member
      • Himitsu no blog (Mitsu's secret blog - written by Japanese)
« Reply #133 on: May 25, 2012, 11:03:34 PM »
Did the Japanese fight many Finns?

No, RAF's buffalo fought against Oscar/ZEKE over Malay Peninsula.
Also 19 F2A-3s were used in Midway battle, 13 F2As were shot down by ZEKE.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #134 on: May 25, 2012, 11:51:23 PM »
Mitsu,

Keep in mind that the version we have in AH is the one the Finns use, which is substantially more agile with lower wing loading than the F2A-3s and B-339s the Japanese faced.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-