Author Topic: trojans and firwall  (Read 1739 times)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: trojans and firwall
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 07:27:20 PM »
  Sun looks interesting,is it as easy to use as they say?

:salute

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 08:05:12 PM »
yes it's as easy as it says.  one word of advise if you use the 64bit then you cannot update your windows as it replaces some files and it messes up your system.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 08:22:41 PM »
yes it's as easy as it says.  one word of advise if you use the 64bit then you cannot update your windows as it replaces some files and it messes up your system.

semp

TY.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 09:23:50 PM »
Yeah... chrome has built-in sandboxing but really noe of them are safe anyway. The best thing to do is use safe browsing habits and a DNS service that you can trust which is not the default one your internet service provides.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 02:35:39 AM »
I have no idea where trojan came from  :old:

Error message for Firewall is on microsoft help site code and all, it tells you what to change back in register etc and then at the end it says it may cause startup problems and except no responsibilitie for changes to registry :old:

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 02:43:10 AM »
The best thing to do is use safe browsing habits

That makes no difference.

Nothing beats good AV, something that runs behavioral based protection. Personal firewalls like Windows firewall are a waste of CPU overhead.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 03:12:09 AM »
downloaded AVG for free for a month is this anygood?

The GFC

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2012, 06:29:25 AM »
downloaded AVG for free for a month is this anygood?

No AV is any good. They catch some of the most obvious infections but all AVs do in the end is encourage people to do unsafe things (i.e. browse unprotected, allow attachments, install add-ons from unknown sources, use p2p). This will inevitably lead to infection - statistically speaking 90% of infected computers have been running an up to date antivirus at the time of infection :)
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2012, 06:37:11 AM »
Is photo bucket P2P? :old:

I have been using that recently to post pics on forums :old:

Safe browsing? I look at some shoes online the other day :)

I have not had a Trojan in years because I am old and dull :)

The GFC

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2012, 06:51:55 AM »
 Zack,

I've been using Avast and spybot together for years! I found out the hard way that Norton makes great bikes but crappy AV software.

You'll find as many opinions about which is best  but none is fool proof!  I like spybot because it wont allow any registry changes without your OK.

If you're having trouble finding the virus,try hijack this! a free program

Personally I wou;d use any big name AV program as those are most likely the first targets of the idiots who make these pitas! I once found a virus in the quarantined folder of norton,it was marked quarrantined so norton ignored it!

Threatfire is another ok free program,so is malwarebytes,just be careful if you go the two program approach as sometime 2 wont work together.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2012, 07:00:19 AM »
I have downloaded spybot and malwabytes :old:

Everytime i log on to IE it shows up in AVG tracking cookie and when i goto to Microsoft site to see how add  Tracking block list it flippen has IPHONE adverts on the info :rofl

I tried to add a tracking block list and its says i need IE9 which I have  :old:

The GFC

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2012, 07:26:25 AM »
 Zack do a scan with spybot see what it comes up with.  Then try running malwarebytes,I'm not too familar with malware so I cant tell you much about that 1 but many folks us it and swear by it.

Oh and P2P is file sharing like a torrent site.  I;m no expert and will bow to some of these guys who know their stuff,but over the years I surfed a couple of "shoe sites" myself and the only time I ever had a problem was when I relied on a name brand AV program.

Sure there may be some good ones out there,nod32 comes to mind if you want to pay for a program. However I've used avast and spybot for years,tried avast for awhile but it changed and started to use to many resources so I went back to avast. I think the 2 pronged approach works fairly well.  As has been said there is no prefect AV program,otherwise everyone would use it.

Zack,worst case,you can always throw a pie at it and be done with it! :devil

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2012, 07:52:43 AM »
Yes but I have ate all my pies :cry

The GFC

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2012, 08:36:41 AM »
I use Avira AV. it's free and updates automatically. Only problem is once a day it open a window asking you to buy the full version. I have used the free version for years and it has caught a number of things while my wife browses  :rolleyes:

I use Photo Bucket for all my cartoons and have never had an issue with that site.

As Morf said, no AV is perfect, but big name ones like Nortons, and AVG and such are viruses by themselves.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2012, 08:38:50 AM »
Is photo bucket P2P? :old:

I have been using that recently to post pics on forums :old:

Safe browsing? I look at some shoes online the other day :)

I have not had a Trojan in years because I am old and dull :)

It's enough if you have a browser with noscript off. Any site - I repeat - Any site can give you an infection. This is because when the sites run google ads, the attackers sneak in attack code to the flash adverts and you get an infection just by visiting a harmless website that happens to have ads running.

The only truly safe site you can visit is one that you create on your own and make sure you don't have any advertisement services running :)
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone