Author Topic: 2012 base taking squads, Good, Bad & Ugly  (Read 4298 times)

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
Re: 2012 base taking squads, Good, Bad & Ugly
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 11:41:36 AM »
Texas.......he had kids and decided to concentrate on his new family.

Right, Im thinking of someone else. I remember dredge having to run to his babys crib.
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2012, 12:25:31 PM »
The better good old days........needing to take bad guy HQ to win the war......50 goons......fun times, no more :frown:
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 01:03:17 PM »
Base taking is not currently our top priority right now.

:noid
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 04:24:49 PM »
We tend to get 10-25 captures per month although I really don't know how that stacks up to an official "base taking" squad.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2012, 09:24:12 PM »
Sometimes me and google will get on at night and do a 2 man capture on bases  :rofl one night we rolled I think it was 6 bases by ourselves  :banana:
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2012, 10:34:06 PM »
Sometimes me and google will get on at night and do a 2 man capture on bases  :rofl one night we rolled I think it was 6 bases by ourselves  :banana:
So you guys use 2 and get captures, others use 40 and don't.

hhhhmmmmm  :headscratch:

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2012, 12:59:54 AM »
So you guys use 2 and get captures, others use 40 and don't.

hhhhmmmmm  :headscratch:

I have captured bases by myself.  the thing about being 2 or 40 is not to have defenders.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2012, 01:03:33 AM »
On the night we took 6 I think it was,... we had 3 defenders on the last take, google tied them up (away from town) while I took the base, towered out, upped and we killed all 3  :x

Anyway no need to rag on the v guys gents, they play the game how they like to, we play the game how we like to, don't like how the horde bases out? fly somewhere else, the map designers designed it so we have more than 1 bases=  :aok

:salute
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline projoe

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2012, 01:53:40 AM »
nowadays....its....I just killed a goon....it was Chewie...that means there's 10 more goons behind him....yall can forget about this base...its gone.
Projoe 367th Dynamite Gang

Spread my work ethic
Not my wealth!

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2012, 01:58:36 AM »

Wheres the like button. 

Used to love doing that. Anyone who says it's easy...never did it

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2012, 02:39:45 AM »
Wheres the like button. 

Used to love doing that. Anyone who says it's easy...never did it

It's easy or it's a fail.  Midwar shananigans if you ask me but I'm not going to insult those who do it on the BBS.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2012, 02:42:51 AM »
It's easy or it's a fail.  Midwar shananigans if you ask me but I'm not going to insult those who do it on the BBS.
What is midwar shananigans?

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2012, 10:00:49 AM »
In the old days you flew a handful of 11G's, N1k and goony bird, 5-6 people at most could capture a base.

Now a days its 40 men to drop every hanger, flatten the base completely before taking town out.

Old days nobody bothered to defend bases, now a days whose going to bother when 40 show up?

/More fun to land 5 kills in a Ki-61
JG 52

Online icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2012, 11:35:17 AM »
5 years ago when I started playing this game, everything you described above was happening.  It has happens during my entire tenure here.  If you go back and read some of the old threads on the BBS, you will find out they have been griping about the same thing since the creation of this BBS.  I have seen little, if any, significant change in the way players are playing the game.

My Opinion

Fred

The comparison I made goes back 15 years.

I believe the tide turned around 2002

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2012, 11:48:58 AM »
I don't mean for midwar shananigans to be taken as an insult, especially since I've done the same thing and enjoyed it.  

Funny how the game changes with changes in tactics, just like tactics change when the game changes.  The way I see it as far as base closing goes is like this.

When I was new to the game it was all NOE all the time, lots of 110s flying below radar was pretty much the standard and an easy route to success.  

Then the towns and fields got a bit more complex.  Before we had the flag and it took 100% of buildings down to get a capture.  To capture a base you had to first send 20 sets of eyeballs to check and recheck the town before running troops.  Bases  needed to be closed just for all the finish work towns required and even then it would take a 2nd or 3rd set of troops to get a capture because we'd miss a building or four.

After this, briefly the flag was introduced and it barely took any destruction to get the white flag.  It didn't stay this way long enough to change tactics.

After that we came to where we are now.  Personally I got lazy, I kept using effective tactics and got my squad trained up to be pretty efficient.  We took a lot of bases but a lot of our enemies started to realize that if they up from a nearby field they could fight back but only after we captured the field and landed so there was no real fun way to defend against the 'bishop horde'.   This was unfortunate for both us and them because since they stopped defending like they normally would we were always in low heavy Jugs by the time it was time to fight.  I found myself at a crossroads where not only was the enemy not counter-attacking like they normally would, but the base takers never got any air combat practice and pretty much forgot how to fight.  

This is when base taking became nothing more than an exercise in boredom to me and forced me to look for new ways to capture fields that were fun again.  This usually means leaving hangers up at airfields and hoping they fight back.  Granted it's not as efficient or as successful but it is a heck of a lot more fun than working on a base taking assembly line.  It's also allowed me to fly a greater variety of airplanes and learn how to dogfight a bit in planes that are well suited to flying low and relatively slow.

Sometimes I feel it's best to pull midwar shananigans or even close a whole field down to get a foothold but I prefer a variety of tactics and a variety of planesets.