Author Topic: Corsairs + Weak Wings?  (Read 757 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Corsairs + Weak Wings?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2000, 11:19:00 AM »
I'm thinking the wings shed mostly when pulling assymetric or "rolling" G (G loading with an aileron deflected). This is putting a "twist" on the wing spar.

I haven't really done enough testing but right now my perception is that if I pull "straight" I can keep the wings up in the 500 kt range.

If I pull just a little rolling G, I lose one in this range. If I really honk on rolling G, I can shed in the 400+ range.

Anyone else noticed anything like this or am I delusional yet again?

As I mentioned before, if the Hog had done this to any great extent in RL, I believe there would be "warstories" about it. I haven't heard any.

I think we're just going to have to learn to live with it here, however.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Corsairs + Weak Wings?
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2000, 11:20:00 AM »
I agree Toad,

I just ripped one online (After climbing to 15k, cruising to the enemy base, and diving on my first kill just as the acks went down.. of course.  )

A straight pull doesn't do it, I as about 450 and as soon as I rolled left BLAM.. no wing.

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs
Visit Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH news, resources, and training data.
 http://users.andara.com/~sconrad/

"MY P-47 is a pretty good ship
And she took a round coming 'cross the Channel last trip
I was thinking 'bout my baby and lettin' her rip
Always got me through so far
Well they can ship me all over this great big world
But I'll never find nothing like my North End girl
I'm taking her home with me one day, sir
Soon as we win this war"
 - Steve Earl

TT

Corsairs + Weak Wings?
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2000, 01:59:00 PM »
 Ive lost wing tips in turn fights. At speed as low as 300ias. I havae my stick setting pretty much 100percent across. So i assume the sharp movement is causeing this. I seldom fly the plane anymore for this reason. BTW I seldom black compleatly out.

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Corsairs + Weak Wings?
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2000, 07:45:00 PM »
Yes, Hangtime, I use rudder and aileron to slow down in a dive.  I've noticed that if you try any type of roll above 400 mph, you often lose wingtips.  Usually what I do is dive at around 450, then slow to 400 right before shooting.  This lets me do just about anything if I don't get the bogey with the first burst.  (Usually I'll pull up into a shallow climb and set up for another pass.)

bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

chief-

Corsairs + Weak Wings?
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2000, 08:43:00 AM »
Okay, to all who replied above thanks    First a few things I've noticed throughout the threads above.
1.  After going through all my gun films (wow how tedius, must keep up on them more) Ive found one instance were I ripped my wing at about 800ft and 350-375 mph in a diving right turn from 2.4 k to take out a P51 on the deck, I pulled 9 g's plus! for about 1 sec :/
2.  The incident stated in my first thread I did not film  
3.  If anyone wants the film noted in 1, I will zip and send.
CONCLUSION:  Perhaps I have been exceeding the Gee limits of the aircraft and not even realized it, further investigation is in order.  I apologize if I cried wolf to soon I should get my proof in order first.  Nevertheless I will use gun cam every flight from here on out to try and see if this wingripping is truly a problem, and will post here if I find anything.

Thank you all
Chief out

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Corsairs + Weak Wings?
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2000, 10:36:00 AM »
Reason might also be that your stick is having spikes...
You pull easily, stick spikes quickly, 3G turns into 5G for matter of milliseconds and kabang... overstress.

Go into joystick setup (in the game) and then move your stick slowly and watch the diagram (or whatever..) on the left side..

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Corsairs + Weak Wings?
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2000, 10:40:00 AM »
...hate these web boards.

If theres stick spikes, then just fix it by adding some dampening.
Also changing scalings for the stick might help.

[This message has been edited by Fishu (edited 02-26-2000).]

TT

Corsairs + Weak Wings?
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2000, 02:18:00 PM »
 Punt. Could someone from HTC comment on this matter.

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Corsairs + Weak Wings?
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2000, 02:35:00 PM »
I'll take a look at it and make an adjustment for the next version.

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

"If it's stupid but works, it's not stupid."

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
Corsairs + Weak Wings?
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2000, 02:50:00 PM »
     I used to think they were too weak Pyro, but not anymore.  Last night I pulled out of a 600+ airspeed vertical dive, I think that's strong enough.

The roll snap, my experience matches Toad's.  Looking back all my lower speed snaps were rolling (hard) into a pull.  I don't know if that's seperate or tied into straight compression, or if it's accurate, or what, but the straight pull and high speed durability don't seem too bad (from someone who used to think it did).

Fatty