Author Topic: Corsairs + Weak Wings?  (Read 758 times)

chief-

Corsairs + Weak Wings?
« on: February 24, 2000, 06:49:00 PM »
     Anyone else shed wings frequently in the F4U?  Seems that about 1 flight in 3 I shed the wings.  Its becoming so frustrating that I really dont care to fly much anymore.  (I Fly the F4U almost exclusively, and yes I flew the -1D before the -1C, so I took my lumps)
     Most of the time I shed one or two wings in situations where I dont feel I should have shed them, for instance I was at 6k over F4 this evening, did a shallow dive to vulch at 350 mph true, i pulled out over the target from about 5 degree nose down to about 5-8 degree nose up and "BANG" same ole Sh#$ left wing gone at fold mechanism.    
     Please anyone else with this problem post here, I normally dont enter into much of the banter on this board, but I feel like this is a problem that needs some attention, if not, sorry to take your time.
     PLEASE no Ive flown the F4U (all of 10 times) and never noticed this problem, lets hear from the guys that fly the hell out of it.

Thank You
Chief out

[This message has been edited by chief- (edited 02-24-2000).]

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Corsairs + Weak Wings?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2000, 07:11:00 PM »
Yup.. tho I dont fly one very often; I do kill a few.. and more than a few have gone into the dirt near me sans a wing or two; without ever gettin shot.

Swap yah my paper tail fer yer paper wings.  

As a side note.. can find no historical refrence to weak Corsair wings. By all accounts I have encountered; this plane was incredibly tough.. Bombloads up to 4000 pounds; (equivelant of B25!) and a routine mission profile of outdiving kamakazi's bely a weak wing job.

Hope it gets fixed.. immediatly after the Mustangs paper tail is redone in cardboard.  

Hang
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Corsairs + Weak Wings?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2000, 07:22:00 PM »
I shed wingtips ALL the time if a bogey is anymore than 10k below me.  The only solution I've found is to use rudder during the boom phase of your attack to keep speed below 420 mph NO MATTER WHAT.  Any faster and you are asking for a wing trimming.  Using rudder also makes landing this beast very easy as well.  

Using rudder also helps you in another way.  More than once I've had people ask me how I possibly hit them at the angle I was diving at them.  The reason is rudder.  To the bogey, you APPEAR to be moving in the direction your nose is pointing, but this is just an illusion.

Hope this helps you.

bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline indian

• Copper Member
Corsairs + Weak Wings?
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2000, 07:45:00 PM »
I have had the F4U in a dive at 550 kts and not shed the wings. I use patients and easy stick inputs.

------------------
Tommy (INDIAN) Toon
  1st Aces High Trainer Crew
Home of The Allied Fighter Wing A.F.W.
A.F.W. Homepage

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
Corsairs + Weak Wings?
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2000, 07:46:00 PM »
The wings are weak, I've no clue the historical accuracy of this or not, but the thread in one of the other folders seemed to indicate they're not that far off.  Once you get used to it, it's really not that bad.  I get well over 500 airspeed often in dives, and the only real danger is a quick pull.  Just remember to baby the stick at speed and resist the temptation to follow a quick turn.

After a bit you'll get used to using blackout level as a guage on where you're pulling too hard.  I used to snap them all the time, but don't think I've snapped em in a couple weeks now, and I frequently approach 550 both chasing and running.  If you anticipate having to turn then as Bloom said, use rudder and keep your speed down in the low 400s.

Fatty

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
Corsairs + Weak Wings?
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2000, 08:20:00 PM »
I have wondered if some damage is carrying over from sortie to sortie by accident.  IE., rudder sticking on take off.  I normally don't have wing problems but twice I have pulled them off with ~3g 300IAS.  The rest of the time it is fine. 550IAS dive and no loss as long as I rudder to slow down before using the stick. 400IAS regularly with no probs less than 3g.  Just 2x in one day I had 300IAS and ~3g pull and no wings.
Maybe a bug??

BTW when I fly hog I a only fly the 1D to fight. 1C to buff hunt  

Rocket

------------------
The Red Dragons
Fierce and Bold
With Honour and Courage

funked

Corsairs + Weak Wings?
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2000, 08:26:00 PM »
Anybody got film of this?

Offline Extreme

• Zinc Member
Corsairs + Weak Wings?
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2000, 09:07:00 PM »
I've flown the hog quite exclusively this ToD.

I think I've probably snapped my wings 2-3 times and that's only because I got too eager chasing a con.  There was one time I pulled too hard in a defensive maneuver, but again it was because of a silly move.

I think you just have to pull out a little earlier and easy on the stick.  Works fine for me most times.

Ex.

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Corsairs + Weak Wings?
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2000, 10:16:00 PM »
Not enough, Extreme...the Hawg was a rock:

In Korea War, a Hawg pilot got caught in compression while diving...with all his forces he could pull out of the dive...but when doing he broke several bones and had the neck badly hurted (cervicals)...he was out of action for more than one year. The Corsair he was riding flew another sortie the next day!!!!!!

In more than a couple of books I have readed that the Corsair Airframe was stressed for much more than 9Gs...so when I go in a dive in 450 mph and I pull 4 Gs, ripping off my wings I get VERY VERY VERY angry. PLEASE fix this thing...thanks

------------------
Ram, out

JG2 "Richthofen"

[This message has been edited by RAM (edited 02-24-2000).]

Offline Extreme

• Zinc Member
Corsairs + Weak Wings?
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2000, 11:19:00 PM »
RAM...I'm not sure what you've interpretted from my post  .  

My post here was simply in the context of the game and Chief's question above  ..Real Life?...heck if I know.

Ex.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Corsairs + Weak Wings?
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2000, 11:40:00 PM »
Yup.. some oddities here with the FM if your using rudder to slow above 400 IAS.. no man alive has legs strong enuff ta kick over the rudder at those speeds. (real life)

Are you cross controlling too? (reverse ail to rudder) This is what I do in the AH stang to slow her.. and at 500 or so the rudder becomes almost useless.

If the Corsair rudder is biting at those speeds something unfinished in FM is my guess.

Hmmm... and as for the wing shedding.. dunno. Used to loose a lot of stang wings.. Now I dont.. gawd yah have to be sooooooooooooooo gentle above 450... or *BAG*BANG*... lawn dart.  

Hang
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
Corsairs + Weak Wings?
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2000, 05:40:00 AM »
i'm exclusively flying the HOG and i noticed the same sometimes... usually i loose my wing in rather slow speed / low G situations which is weird (makes me think of spiking)

When going real fast i usually start flying with trims as soon as i hear the overstress sound coming in .. i tried the rudder kicking too but at speeds above 450-500 you must be real carefull or you loose your rudder.

However i have not lost my wing lately (just once when i had the airspeed indicator pegged at the stop  )

------------------

Phillip "Duckwing6" Artweger
Flight Officer "E" Flight
Skeleton Crew

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Corsairs + Weak Wings?
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2000, 07:52:00 AM »
As most of you know, I'm a Hog-O-phile as well, and fly it all the time.

I use 500 MPH dives on a regular basis with no problems.  BUT, I have had a few weird experiences where I lost a wingtip at 300-400 IAS without pulling much G.. not even into tunnel vision.  It seems to be sort of rare.  Most times I can do stuff like pull a near-totally blacked out loop from 450 MPH with no problem.  (And boy does that low 109 driver ever freak when you loop back onto his six THAT fast. <G> )

Regarding the rudder.  Hog rudder is good to slow the craft, but starts to lose effectiveness over 300MPH.  It works at 400.. it just doesn't do much.  However, if you start a dive slow and cross control it all the way down, it keeps your speed nice and low.

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs
Visit Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH news, resources, and training data.
 http://users.andara.com/~sconrad/

"MY P-47 is a pretty good ship
And she took a round coming 'cross the Channel last trip
I was thinking 'bout my baby and lettin' her rip
Always got me through so far
Well they can ship me all over this great big world
But I'll never find nothing like my North End girl
I'm taking her home with me one day, sir
Soon as we win this war"
 - Steve Earl

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
Corsairs + Weak Wings?
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2000, 07:58:00 AM »
Goes to show I must not fly it well enough, because I haven't seen this! I've lost wings- to cannon fire!  

Offline CRASH

• Copper Member
Corsairs + Weak Wings?
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2000, 09:30:00 AM »
The only time I ever ripped an f4 wing was when I exceeded 600kn. I regularly run up a bit over 500kn without incident. I guess if I yanked the stick runnin at 550 I could rip the wings, but never tried  

CRASH