Author Topic: SO you want to fly the early 109s?  (Read 5227 times)

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
Re: SO you want to fly the early 109s?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 12:14:27 AM »
I apologise for bumping this, but it is to aid a friend finding this with ease.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 09:43:03 AM »
Very well done Dolby, and very informative. Thank you. :salute
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 11:20:14 AM »
 :aok 109's are my favorite fighter  :rock
Quote from: Latrobe
Do not run.
Face your opponent with all you have.
If you die you have something to learn.

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 05:48:02 AM »
Wicked awesome job!
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 06:45:11 AM »
109F is just the best fighter! She dances so beautifully!  :aok

Offline Rogue9Volt

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2014, 07:35:41 AM »
Thanks, Dolby!  I appreciate you taking the time to go a few rounds with me the other night, too.  109F is great fun!  I'll start working on the 109E as well soon.  <S>
InGame:  SW9volt

-Born To Lose, Live To Win-
Recruiting Officer,125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 09:51:38 AM »
109E?  109F?  Bah. 

Get out of the girly man planes and get in a 110, Dolb.   ;)  :D

Great videos, BTW.  Thanks for the bump...I didn't see this when it was originally posted.

Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 05:26:45 PM »
I'm glad it is useful :)
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2014, 02:15:33 PM »
Once more I find myself bumping this thread to help someone better find introductions to the 109 series  :salute
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2014, 04:04:37 PM »
I love the 109s, I just can't shoot anything in them. Now if there was an "introduction to shooting" in the 109 I'd be all over that.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 05:16:07 PM by The Fugitive »

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2014, 04:33:35 PM »
I don't think there is any sure-fire method to teach gunnery in any plane (at least I've never heard of any method that works every time for everyone), but here are some tips that might help.

Convergence must be set to a range that you feel comfortable shooting at. Where's batfink? Look at the quote in his sig and it explains it very well. You don't want to shoot at your convergence range, you want to shoot at the range that you're comfortable at and have the most success at. So if you feel comfortable shooting at 400 yards and have the most success there then set your convergence at 400. If you feel comfortable shooting at 200 yards and have the most success there then set your convergence at 200. Trust me, this works!! I used to have my 109's set to 450 because I thought convergence didn't matter in them. Then one day I changed my 109F guns to 300 just on a whim to see what happens because that's where I feel most comfortable shooting at and have the most success. I went from having to put many bursts into my opponent to kill him to having to put only 1 burst into them to kill them. I instantly went and changed all my planes convergence to 300 after that. It works!

Get close. Ok, now get closer! This is more of a tip than an absolute thing you must do like convergence settings. It's a good idea to get as close to your opponent as possible before shooting. Why? Well it takes less time for the bullets to reach the target, meaning you have to lead the plane a lot less. You bullets will do more damage as well. Some bullets like the 303's on the spitfires lose a lot of their hitting power at longer ranges (I don't know exactly where it starts dropping off significantly, but I'd guess somewhere around 400-450 yards). So, if you get within 200 yards of your opponent before you start shooting then you don't have to lead him as much and your shots will do maximum damage. If you do do this and get in close then remember to set your convergence for this range as well for reasons explained above.

Of course, you do want to be shooting at ranges you feel comfortable with and have the most success at, so if you like engaging targets at 400 yards then set your convergence to 400 yards. If you're still having trouble hitting the target even in your comfort zone then try the 2nd tip. Set your convergence somewhere in 200-300 yards and get as close to your opponent as you can before pulling the trigger. It's easier to aim since you don't have to lead them as much.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2014, 05:28:22 PM »
Thanks for the time and the write up. That is very basic info that while useful don't help worth a squat!  Just kidding!

I understand the convergence and the idea to get close, then closer, also un-loading the aircraft, even have a good idea on how to lead. I've studied films to try a determine "what range" I shoot at. Slow them down and check the range when I score hits. Adjusted my site to be able to figure those ranges easier, and tried to fly and set up my shots to give me the easiest guns solution. All this and over the last few years I've gotten my hit percentage to hover around the 4% mark.

Now according to Lusche charts © that puts me above average, but I still have almost as many assists as I do kills. Then when I get in a 109, I'm lucky to get assists before I run out of ammo. I guess Im just destined to out fly everyone until someone comes in and clears my 12 o'clock for me.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2014, 06:20:18 PM »
Thanks for the time and the write up. That is very basic info that while useful don't help worth a squat!  Just kidding!

I understand the convergence and the idea to get close, then closer, also un-loading the aircraft, even have a good idea on how to lead. I've studied films to try a determine "what range" I shoot at. Slow them down and check the range when I score hits. Adjusted my site to be able to figure those ranges easier, and tried to fly and set up my shots to give me the easiest guns solution. All this and over the last few years I've gotten my hit percentage to hover around the 4% mark.

Now according to Lusche charts © that puts me above average, but I still have almost as many assists as I do kills. Then when I get in a 109, I'm lucky to get assists before I run out of ammo. I guess Im just destined to out fly everyone until someone comes in and clears my 12 o'clock for me.

I am not sure what rides you prefer.....

I would suggest getting into 1 plane and sticking with that....

you have been flying long enough to understand ACM...you aint no noob.....

much like you my aim is horrible..to me 4% is horrible..but in my Ki its much different....there are some shots still hard to miss and its not way up there but I guarantee my aim is far better in that then anything else except maybe the old hurri2

once you really learn a plane inside out...the aim will come into its own in that ride...

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2014, 08:49:20 PM »
Lately I have been spending most of my time in the hog, pony, and now and then the 38. What do they have in common? 50 cals.

Like I said I have been tuning it in better with those planes, but there are very few that stick to one kind of plane in this game. INK in his KI, ACK ACK in his 38 with the 80th, Stampf and his loony crew  :neener: but I have a hard time doing that. 109s are a blast to turn on a wing tip with that rudder, zeros with those quick turns, even a spit can be fun at times. The F6f is a blast as long as you don't have to look back. There are so many fun rides I just can't stick with one ALLL the time.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2014, 12:03:19 AM »
Lately I have been spending most of my time in the hog, pony, and now and then the 38. What do they have in common? 50 cals.

Like I said I have been tuning it in better with those planes, but there are very few that stick to one kind of plane in this game. INK in his KI, ACK ACK in his 38 with the 80th, Stampf and his loony crew  :neener: but I have a hard time doing that. 109s are a blast to turn on a wing tip with that rudder, zeros with those quick turns, even a spit can be fun at times. The F6f is a blast as long as you don't have to look back. There are so many fun rides I just can't stick with one ALLL the time.

:rofl so true about the F6

I am not saying all the time...just *most* of the time :D