Author Topic: A20 Tie Fighter Mystery  (Read 19772 times)

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
Re: A20 Tie Fighter Mystery
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2012, 04:55:32 PM »
As a joke I upped an A20 few times today ended up with this:

Late War Tour 150
Kills by Butcher in an
A-20G by model type
Model Type   Kills   Percent
A6M5b   1   10.000
Bf 110G-2   1   10.000
F4U-1A   1   10.000
Fw 190A-8   2   20.000
Hurricane Mk I   1   10.000
P-51D   1   10.000
SeaFire   3   30.000

One was a CV obviously, other I was simply hunting at 12k - I was killed once by a Seafire off the CV, and second sortie by a wirbl that the P51D dragged me too.

10 kills, 2 deaths not a bad run :)
JG 52

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2012, 06:38:48 PM »

figured i would give it a try too   :airplane:

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2012, 07:14:46 PM »
 :D :aok

edit : 20 ponies ... that must be roughly 20 rage-quits ... for that you get a  :rock
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 07:16:34 PM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2012, 10:07:22 PM »
:D :aok

edit : 20 ponies ... that must be roughly 20 rage-quits ... for that you get a  :rock

Ponies are generally an easy kill :D
If they think their plane is superior to yours (overall)  they'll typically try to turn with you for the quick kill.

The problem is...a pony doesnt turn so well compared with almost anything :lol

Unless the pony is using BnZ and to a lesser extent energy fighting, they are a very limited threat, something you can usually determine as soon as you merge.

It seems that the typical mustang driver figures he has the best plane and therefore can do whatever he wants because well...its a P-51!  Regardless of tactics and any knowledge about what his opponent is flying.

After the merge if a pony breaks hard, he either really knows what he's doing (unlikely most of the time) or he's thinking he'll get a quick kill, or unfortunatley....thinks he's going to get the best out of a turnfight.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2012, 11:25:34 PM »
One of my duels with cobia, 51D vs A20 in an equal E merge was probably the most fun. The Pony will turn with the A20, it just doesnt have the acceleration push the A20 into a vertical fight. Once you lose that E turning, it's gone. Impossible to get it back without running/extending. In that fight, I could keep cobia from getting guns on me but I couldn't get my guns on him either. We kept going in this vertical scissors and was going nowhere. I broke off to try and flat turn but that didn't work out too well. :lol

The few times that I tried to get guns on cobia, using hard rudder movements, I could only get maybe 1/10th of a second before snap stalling and then I'd have to reset for another 1/10th second shot. If a Pony pilot can keep it from snap stalling (I'm no Pony expert and couldn't do it myself), he'd definitely win in a vertical scissors. I just couldn't control that snap stall.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #110 on: July 29, 2012, 12:31:42 AM »
Yeah, P-51Ds are tasty to the Mossie as well.  Many of them think they can just out turn the big twin and by the time they realize otherwise it is too late.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #111 on: July 29, 2012, 03:55:30 AM »
P-51D as well as the spitties are the rides of the clueless. New players fly the most famous planes - not only they are not very familiar with their own ride, they know even less about what they are up against. With the spitties they can often get away with simple stick pulling. Not so much with the P51.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #112 on: July 29, 2012, 07:19:36 AM »
Hey, I'd rather have a fight with 10 clueless noobs and get shot down than 1 "fight" with a vet who turns and runs.  ;)

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #113 on: July 29, 2012, 10:28:10 AM »
Think about this... The first block of A-20Gs delivered had four 20mm Hispanos in the nose... Many of these were delivered to the Soviets, who used them very effectively.

When HTC redoes the A-20/Boston, aside from incorporating the missing ventral gun, I'd like to see the 20mm cannon option...  With that, I image the the howls about perking the A-20 would be epic, but keep in mind that the Mossie 6 had four 20mm and four .303 MGs in the nose....

A-20G-1...Lacks the power turret.. Useless to me as it is. I'd love the lighter, 20mm (and 2 .50cal) nose gun -1 version..

« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 10:47:27 AM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #114 on: July 29, 2012, 10:31:40 AM »
Think about this... The first block of A-20Gs delivered had four 20mm Hispanos in the nose... Many of these were delivered to the Soviets, who used them very effectively.

When HTC redoes the A-20/Boston, aside from incorporating the missing ventral gun, I'd like to see the 20mm cannon option...  With that, I image the the howls about perking the A-20 would be epic, but keep in mind that the Mossie 6 had four 20mm and four .303 MGs in the nose....
The only problem I have with that, Widewing, is that the 10% of A-20Gs that had the four 20mm would then make up about 95% of the A-20Gs used in AH.  If the four 20mm option is added I'd like to see the loadout perk system with it and do a light 1 or 2 point perk cost.

Guys have pointed out that the Mossie VI has the same armament, so what's the big deal, but 100% of Mossie VIs had the cannons.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #115 on: July 29, 2012, 10:34:30 AM »
The only problem I have with that, Widewing, is that the 10% of A-20Gs that had the four 20mm would then make up about 95% of the A-20Gs used in AH.  If the four 20mm option is added I'd like to see the loadout perk system with it and do a light 1 or 2 point perk cost.

Guys have pointed out that the Mossie VI has the same armament, so what's the big deal, but 100% of Mossie VIs had the cannons.

No different than the LA-7... Only a handful of 3 cannon La-7s saw combat, but you almost never see anyone take the two gun option...
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #116 on: July 29, 2012, 10:49:55 AM »
No different than the LA-7... Only a handful of 3 cannon La-7s saw combat, but you almost never see anyone take the two gun option...
I agree with you there. I'd like to see the three cannon option get the same light perk treatment.  The four cannon Ki-84 would be another possible example.  Perhaps the two cannon, four .50 F6F as well.

That said, there is less of a difference between the two cannon and three cannon La-7 than there is between the six .50 and four 20mm armed A-20G.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #117 on: July 29, 2012, 11:22:07 AM »
I agree with you there. I'd like to see the three cannon option get the same light perk treatment.  The four cannon Ki-84 would be another possible example.  Perhaps the two cannon, four .50 F6F as well.

That said, there is less of a difference between the two cannon and three cannon La-7 than there is between the six .50 and four 20mm armed A-20G.

I don't disagree with a small perk on optional gun and ordnance packages. The problem, I think, is that this would require a very big programming change...
My regards,

Widewing

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #118 on: July 29, 2012, 11:54:27 AM »
I don't disagree with a small perk on optional gun and ordnance packages. The problem, I think, is that this would require a very big programming change...
It is something HiTech has said he wanted to do in the past.  It was the reason the F4U-1C was not initially updated graphically with the other F4Us as it was going to become a perked ordnance option for the F4U-1D.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #119 on: July 29, 2012, 12:41:36 PM »
That's because the F4UC's guns make it unbalancing in the MA. Unless HTC has changed their minds the last couple of years, historical factors should not, and are not, relevant to HTC's perking system. An A-20G with cannons won't be more unbalancing than the Mossie is today, or in other words, not unbalancing at all. A gun/ord perk system would probably be more convenient for HTC, but that's all. However, a system for deactivating certain gun and ord options would be nice for historical events.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."