Author Topic: Why am I not an awesome pilot yet?  (Read 11620 times)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Why am I not an awesome pilot yet?
« Reply #150 on: July 11, 2012, 07:15:11 AM »
I could tell ya why...but you wont listen....oh well......

Offline Iraqvet

• Copper Member
« Reply #151 on: July 11, 2012, 07:30:19 AM »
Why?......Because too much you your time is spent trolling 200ch and thus your SA is lost when you are too busy typing nonsense.  :rofl
***The Perk Tank Snuff***
HHC 1-502nd "Strike" Infantry 101st Airborne Division Air Assault!
The very essence of leadership is its purpose. The purpose of leadership is to accomplish a task. That is what leadership does and what it does is more important than what it is or how it works

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #152 on: July 11, 2012, 07:56:01 AM »
Why?......Because too much you your time is spent trolling 200ch and thus your SA is lost when you are too busy typing nonsense.  :rofl

It's much more than ch 200.  With the help of some top gunners landing 10 victories in a Spitfire requiring my ch 200 and BBS silence for 3 days at a time, per previous agreement, as well as HTC's 8 day mute a couple of times, I do notice a slight improvemt in my flying, but nowhere near the awesomeness of regularly landing 8+ victory sorties.

I think the secret is in all of the items listed in my original post and I intend to find out over the next several tours.

However, there is no denying...
Ch 200 crack is bad, real bad. :old:

There is value though to 200, on occasion.  Kind of like an occasional glass of wine is reported to improve health, but a gallon a day, just the opposite.   :uhoh
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 09:55:09 AM by Midway »

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #153 on: July 11, 2012, 08:17:05 AM »
11 pages really? I leave you guys alone a couple days and come back to this?
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #154 on: July 11, 2012, 08:40:45 AM »
With so much time invested in this game over the past 18+ months, how and why are you not better yet?  I'd wager that you have more time in game than anybody else over the course of several years.

Perhaps you've just hit a plateau, and you're not going to attain the skill levels of those you admire so much.  Not every athlete goes pro...

It also doesn't help that you're quite unfamiliar with how the majority of the planeset handles.  A lot of fighting involves knowing what the other guy can't do, or at least has trouble doing.  You're mainly in a Spit 8, which allows so much forgiveness, that you can get away with less than optimal ACM and still get kills.

You really want to get better?  Buy a book on ACM and learn some basic stuff.  Low and high yo-yo's instead of flat turns.  Lead turns into a merge instead of trying for HO or front quarter shots, giving up angles.  The Spit 8 allows you to do the flat turns and HOs and get away with it.  Other planes aren't such a crutch.

I'll say the most improved thing I've seen in your time is that you stopped flying with the throttle at 100%. 

mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #155 on: July 11, 2012, 08:44:23 AM »
With so much time invested in this game over the past 18+ months, how and why are you not better yet?  I'd wager that you have more time in game than anybody else over the course of several years.

Perhaps you've just hit a plateau, and you're not going to attain the skill levels of those you admire so much.  Not every athlete goes pro...

It also doesn't help that you're quite unfamiliar with how the majority of the planeset handles.  A lot of fighting involves knowing what the other guy can't do, or at least has trouble doing.  You're mainly in a Spit 8, which allows so much forgiveness, that you can get away with less than optimal ACM and still get kills.

You really want to get better?  Buy a book on ACM and learn some basic stuff.  Low and high yo-yo's instead of flat turns.  Lead turns into a merge instead of trying for HO or front quarter shots, giving up angles.  The Spit 8 allows you to do the flat turns and HOs and get away with it.  Other planes aren't such a crutch.

I'll say the most improved thing I've seen in your time is that you stopped flying with the throttle at 100%. 

All very true and all of your helpful ideas, without exception, are already in progress.   :salute :rock

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #156 on: July 11, 2012, 08:49:08 AM »
All very true and all of your helpful ideas, without exception, are already in progress.   :salute :rock

So your getting out of the spit 8?
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #157 on: July 11, 2012, 08:58:32 AM »
So your getting out of the spit 8?

Only on occasion, to learn a bit about other aeroplanes.  Getting fully out of the Spitfire was not in his post and I intend to stay in it mostly, for now -- until I solve many of the problems listed in my original post.

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #158 on: July 11, 2012, 09:30:44 AM »
Only on occasion, to learn a bit about other aeroplanes.  Getting fully out of the Spitfire was not in his post and I intend to stay in it mostly, for now -- until I solve many of the problems listed in my original post.

I think the Spit is an awesome plane.  Heck, it would be one of the planes I'd own if I ever had the money to do so.  There are a lot of really good players who enjoy the Spit as well.  They could easily move into something else, but it's an enjoyable plane to fly in the game.

One thing that a lot of folks have often overlooked throughout the years is that real ACMs do work.  Sure, there's the cartoon-y stuff that we get to do because we have no real fear of getting hurt or dying, but learning how to gain angles through ACMs and not just yank-and-bank is what makes people better and tougher opponents.
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #159 on: July 11, 2012, 10:07:43 AM »
How cool is it that a learning pilot can ask a sincere question, offer a hypothesis, and get dozens of sincere answers from a community of skilled on the field real and virtual pilots?  Very cool! :aok

All you have to do is ask and learn to ignore the various arrows, rocks, insults, put downs, and beer cans thrown at you from the nosebleed section.  Ducking, deflecting, and returning said items are important to not get hit though.  Not too difficult to do.  :)

There are ponies to be found.  :old:

:salute AH community. :rock
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 10:23:27 AM by Midway »

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #160 on: July 11, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »
where is Skuzzy with the thread lock.
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #161 on: July 11, 2012, 11:19:58 AM »
It's much more than ch 200.  With the help of some top gunners landing 10 victories in a Spitfire requiring my ch 200 and BBS silence for 3 days at a time, per previous agreement, as well as HTC's 8 day mute a couple of times, I do notice a slight improvemt in my flying, but nowhere near the awesomeness of regularly landing 8+ victory sorties.

I think the secret is in all of the items listed in my original post and I intend to find out over the next several tours.

However, there is no denying...
Ch 200 crack is bad, real bad. :old:

There is value though to 200, on occasion.  Kind of like an occasional glass of wine is reported to improve health, but a gallon a day, just the opposite.   :uhoh

it's not your flying, but your attitude.  you fly to annoy others instead of to kill.  have flown many times against you and as soon as you take off you go straight  to fight instead of just pulling away and perhaps get a little altitude.  I remember many times when you got killed  4 or 5 times in a row because you kept on insisting on climbing to 7 or 8k just shooting at higher planes trying to score some hit points.  you became easy kill at that point.  if you were to tulips your situation every time instead of just trying to shoot at something then perhaps it would make you a better pilot.  but not like you are gonna change anyway. 

btw if it was up to me I would still fly the spit8.  there's no dweeb planes, only dorks who think they are so good they dont think they should be killed by "lesser" planes.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #162 on: July 11, 2012, 11:25:45 AM »
the key to regularly landing big numbers in spits like your heros is to train and fly with wingmen. we dont get paid to fly AH so wingmen are people you get on with and dont mind spending time flying with, usually squaddies.

I suppose there might be someone out there amongst the 1000s of AH players that can tolerate your incessant spamming, trolling, stalking and incedibly irritating attitude. If you can find one of them you stand a chance. I wont be putting any money on it though.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #163 on: July 11, 2012, 11:28:37 AM »
the key to regularly landing big numbers in spits like your heros is to train and fly with wingmen. we dont get paid to fly AH so wingmen are people you get on with and dont mind spending time flying with, usually squaddies.

I suppose there might be someone out there amongst the 1000s of AH players that can tolerate your incessant spamming, trolling, stalking and incedibly irritating attitude. If you can find one of them you stand a chance. I wont be putting any money on it though.

Relying on a wingman is, I think, an easier way out.  I intend to do this on my own with the occasional help from nearby friendlies.   Others have, I intend to figure it out. Thank you though.   :salute

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #164 on: July 11, 2012, 11:32:17 AM »
it's not your flying, but your attitude.  you fly to annoy others instead of to kill.  have flown many times against you and as soon as you take off you go straight  to fight instead of just pulling away and perhaps get a little altitude.  I remember many times when you got killed  4 or 5 times in a row because you kept on insisting on climbing to 7 or 8k just shooting at higher planes trying to score some hit points.  you became easy kill at that point.  if you were to tulips your situation every time instead of just trying to shoot at something then perhaps it would make you a better pilot.  but not like you are gonna change anyway.  

btw if it was up to me I would still fly the spit8.  there's no dweeb planes, only dorks who think they are so good they dont think they should be killed by "lesser" planes.

semp

Actually this part I have already learned: http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,335729.msg4414481.html#msg4414481

but need to practice more.