Author Topic: A Pudknockers Review - The Me410  (Read 2522 times)

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
A Pudknockers Review - The Me410
« on: July 18, 2012, 06:21:17 PM »
So as everyone is most certainly aware, the Me410 has been released and there have already been complaints as to its performance and effectiveness. It's definitely a unique airplane, and I don't think many knew what to expect. It has it's strengths and weaknesses, however I don't believe it's truly as bad as everyone seems to think.

First off, it's a heavy airplane. 25% fuel and the Mk103s yields more than 22,000 pounds. It has relatively small wings for it's size, resulting in higher wingloading and therefore a higher cornering speed. Turning is most certainly not one of it's strengths, however it has a big rudder and sharp nose - very good for a quick snapshot. You have the firepower to make snapshots count, you can even get almost sloppy with your shooting as you have so much ammo - I've gotten a couple kills from 1000 out just shooting a 3 second burst. It's speed is definitely not bad for a plane of it's size, it will outpace the 110 (albeit barely) and doesn't seem to be a sluggish airplane, although it wallows in turns. I think one of the biggest strengths of the 410 is its wonderful visibility, IMO one of the most important and overlooked characteristics of an airplane. With good SA it's pretty easy to force an overshoot, and then snap around and blast the offending party.

However, perhaps the best thing thing about the 410 is the versatility of the airplane. If you show up to a field in a P51 when the town needs to be going down, you can empty your arsenal into the town and be out of ammo and not accomplished much. With the 410, if you arrive and the town needs to go down you have the ability make it happen quick. CV down and spawning PT boats? You can deal with that. GVs? Attack from the rear if you have the Mk103s and you will make short work of all of the non perked tanks. (and some of the smaller perked ones, like the M4 76) It seems to take fire about as well as a 110, maybe even a little bit better. With the BK5 mounted it will make even shorter work of GVs, although I prefer the Mk103.

I suppose after singing it praise, I should probably talk about some of its drawbacks. The roll performance is below average, it feels a lot like an A20 in this respect. While the Me410 is a big airplane, it feels like an even bigger airplane when you're flying it. When you are light, it's turn radius is quite large. When heavy, the turn radius is the size of West Texas. Climb performance is marginal, trying to go vertical is a moot point unless it is against something woefully underpowered, or you have a significantly higher amount of energy. This airplane is not suited to 1v1s unless the other pilot is in something very slow, however in a group of airplanes it can be quite deadly. It's a big target, and anyone with a few brain cells should be able to hit one. The rear guns are almost useless, however I managed to get a kill on an LA that parked 600 off my 6 with them. Perhaps just dumb luck. It dives like a P38, familiarize yourself with the K button. It starts shedding parts around 520mph, compression starts around 410ish.

I heard a figure of speech about a week ago that has stuck with me, and seems to describe the ME410 quite well "Jack of all trades, master of none" It's a good airplane, I enjoy it. Predictable handling and fun to fly. I suspect there will be a few who will find it suits their style and I think we will see a group of dedicated ME410 pilots. Anyways, those are my thoughts. Feel free to expand and add your own experiences. I do like writing, although I have never done anything like this on the boards before. Let me know if you liked the read, I'd like to do these reviews on other planes.

All the best,

Tupac
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 06:23:29 PM by Tupac »
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline DMGOD

• Silver Member
      • DRUNKEN MONKEYS
Re: A Pudknockers Review - The Me410
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 06:24:07 PM »
I like you
Because every pretty girl deserves to go to a ball.  http://thedrunkenmonkeys.webs.com

This is the smartest saying ever, period. nothing beats it if you really look deep into he meaning. your a g*&da^*genius dmgod  :aok

Offline Razzor 479th

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 07:20:18 PM »
Thanks for a great review.  It pretty well sums up the experiences I had with it last night. The only thing I'd slightly differ with you is that I did seem to have some limited success with it in the vertical, but once I started to approach fairly low speeds, forget it.  At that point, going vertical in a 410 is like going vertical in a coffin.  Both end up in a hole in the ground.

RAZOR - PIGS ON THE WING

Offline 999000

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 08:04:00 PM »
You kill it just like a 110....shoot the wing!
999000 <S>

Offline BBQsam

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 09:18:48 PM »
 :salute  Tupac, very good review, much appreciated,  please do more!
"I have really only one simple rule,
Give more to the game than you take away."
Zoney  December 23, 2009  ahbbs
--------------------------------------------------
<Salute> Pipz    September 27, 2017   RIP

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 09:35:51 PM »
I agree. I was killed very easily on my first 4 sorties in 1v1 with lighter turn fighter...IMO with full guns & fuel it turns much worse than a Hvy 110 w/o bombs. Then on to attack role...I was slaughtered down in that spawn canyon last night with seemingly little effort. Yes there is great front view, but IMO at a cost...anyone with a stray 50/303 round with all that glass & you're pilot wounded. My first bomber approach killed me easily from low six off of b-24s. It got better as I felt a little more accustomed to the feel which is as stated heavy in the turns. I have not flown it today yet & intend to try it a bit lighter to see if that helps much. It will surely take practice to get a feel for where this ac fits in my arsenal. Thanks for your thoughtful input & lack of anecdotal know-it-all-itis.  :aok  :salute  :airplane:
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 09:42:15 PM »
I think it needs to be able to fight to be a 'Jack of all trades'.  :p
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 10:06:32 PM »
Treat it like an even less maneuverable 190A8. Come in ~5K above the fight, and work your way down. Expect to get only one chance at a firing solution, because once an opponent realizes that he's your target, there's little you can do to get a second shot. The 2x MK103s are extremely effective and offers a much higher chance of hitting and killing your target than a 190A8 would. Amazing ballistics means you can and will hit targets 600 yards away reliably. Very stable gun platform as well.

It's no dog fighter, but it will tear apart everything in its path if given even one chance.

And naturally, bombers get turned into Swiss cheese. Just don't be hasty and attack from dead six. People have been noting that it's relatively fragile, although I haven't had any problems with it. Never caught on fire, never ripped off my wings. When I died, it was because I got caught and died after multiple hits from all calibre (.50s, Hispano, and taters). I took it down in a dive once and wasn't paying attention, the moment I heard creaking, I looked at the speedometer and was going 500mph, popped the dive brakes and found that I lost elevator response, trimmed it up and the plane pulled itself out of the dive, no wings popping off. I also managed to get into a flat spin, full flaps - rudder right - full elevator up - and the plane snap rolled into a flat spin. Cutting the engine and opposite rudder straightened it out after dropping about 1000ft.

All in all, a very wonderful plane to fly (for me at least), an excellent BnZ plane.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 10:19:27 PM »
So as everyone is most certainly aware, the Me410 has been released and there have already been complaints as to its performance and effectiveness. It's definitely a unique airplane, and I don't think many knew what to expect. It has it's strengths and weaknesses, however I don't believe it's truly as bad as everyone seems to think.

Oh reaaaaaLY

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 10:26:37 PM »
For what its worth, other than climbing a bit worse than I expected, it is pretty much right where I thought it would be.  It matches the performance posted by wmaker in his 110 vs 410 vs Mossie VI through.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 10:37:20 PM »
My review of the 410? It's made from rejected a6m materials. The Spad has better survivability. I haven't landed one yet.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 10:42:40 PM »
My review of the 410? It's made from rejected a6m materials. The Spad has better survivability. I haven't landed one yet.

Maybe it's just me but everyone I've talked to or seen says it's worse than a Zeke. I took multiple hits from a set of B26s and B24s, came out with a missing flap or aileron for each set. I got jumped by an F4U, took multiple hits as well before finally going down. Never caught on fire either. It seems as tough as a 110. It's no Il2 but I don't think it's a Zeke either.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 01:47:21 AM »
Good all round review, Tupac   :aok
Some stuff i noticed:
-The turn rate is between the 190F and the 262. Take the consequences.
-The stall speed with flaps is fairly low tho.
-The snaprolls are violent and rather unpredictable for my 109-brain. But if you can master them, you can be a killer, because...
-...this plane burns E like nothing else, with the firepower and the giant rudder, if you can force an overshoot, its game over for the victim.

Ugly, inpotent, disappointing... this is my new fav ride, just give it a beautiful hungarian camo  :lol
AoM
City of ice

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 01:53:08 AM »
Not bad to fly. Going to take time to get used to but its fun to fly around.

X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 01:59:29 AM »
Do the flaps actually work? Guys online were saying today they were testing it but couldn't feel any difference.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB