Author Topic: Frame rate hit  (Read 1667 times)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
Frame rate hit
« on: July 19, 2012, 09:05:58 AM »
I ran the 2.28 update and still had my standard frame rate of 60 FPS. Yesterday I down loaded patch 1, and looked at the graphics options and noticed that slider bar for full upgrades was on none. So I moved it all the way left (ALL, or Full) and took off in a Me410. My frame rate was 14 on the runway and in the air I couldn't get it over 21. So I went back and moved the slider bar back to "none". Frame rate only moved up to 20 on the runway and 25 in the air. I started turning of bump maps, and shortening the "object distance" essentially running less than I had the previous day, but could not get the frame rate back over 30. Also had studders and "hang ups" when panning around. Flew two sorties and called it a night.

I noticed that the map is a different Map than Tuesday night, but is the issue the map or the Patch?  Am I alone in this problem? 

Vinkman
Who is John Galt?

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
Re: Frame rate hit
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 09:11:17 AM »
My frame rate last night in the "ndisle" tank town seemed to be worse than usual.  I certainly got more freezes and stutters than usual.  Whether this is due to the patch or something else, I can't say for sure. 

MH

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 10:20:49 AM »
aces high has now environmental mapping, which can tax your computer pretty heavily, make sure it is off if you're having FPS issues.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 01:10:04 PM »
The slider for the update rate is how often the environment mapping updates are done.  Environment mapping requires six renderings to be done for each update.  It is a very intensive graphic feature.

Frame rate drops will happen with this feature enabled.  It is not a bug.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 02:04:23 PM »
The slider for the update rate is how often the environment mapping updates are done.  Environment mapping requires six renderings to be done for each update.  It is a very intensive graphic feature.

Frame rate drops will happen with this feature enabled.  It is not a bug.

Thanks for the info.  :salute

Of course I have no idea what "environment mapping" is and how it's different from what preceeded it, but my real concern is that my card (Radeon 5790) can't deal with it. I thought when I had bought it, that it would have some futurability. However, I've never thought this card ran any faster than my old Nvidea 8800. Much to my great dismay. I've often wondered if this card knows how to apply it's dual processors to Aces High. Or if the cork-in-the-bottle is somewhere else in the system like Bios speed or CPU speed of my now aging core Duo chip.

I would gladly fix/upgrade what is needed to be able to enjoy the game in all it's glory. I just have so little experience with diagnostics and trouble shooting of this sort, that I'm not sure how to even go about figuring out where the problem lies.   :frown:

Who is John Galt?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 02:38:03 PM »
Environment mapping enables shiny aluminum to reflect the surroundings. It's a new feature. It's best left off if it gives you low framerates. There are some settings in the video card driver that can lower your frame rates without noticably improving the image. For example the type of Anti Aliasing can affect frame rate as well as the amount of AA. If you post your 3D video driver settngs I'll let you know if I see any potential problems. Since you have an older series video card you'll likely get your best performance with the last driver released before the next series card was on the market.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 03:06:33 PM »
Thanks for the info.  :salute

Of course I have no idea what "environment mapping" is and how it's different from what preceeded it, but my real concern is that my card (Radeon 5790) can't deal with it. I thought when I had bought it, that it would have some futurability. However, I've never thought this card ran any faster than my old Nvidea 8800. Much to my great dismay. I've often wondered if this card knows how to apply it's dual processors to Aces High. Or if the cork-in-the-bottle is somewhere else in the system like Bios speed or CPU speed of my now aging core Duo chip.

I would gladly fix/upgrade what is needed to be able to enjoy the game in all it's glory. I just have so little experience with diagnostics and trouble shooting of this sort, that I'm not sure how to even go about figuring out where the problem lies.   :frown:

In order for dual GPU's or Crossfire or any multi-chip/card configuration to work, there must a profile for the software so the video driver can enable it.  To my knowledge, ATI/AMD do not have a profile for Aces High. If they provide a default profile, it is not going to be optimized for Aces High.

Beyond that, real-time environmental mapping is a very graphically intense operation.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 03:15:55 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline TheRapier

• Nickel Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron, My Little Pony
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 04:53:00 PM »
What would it take to get a profile? Is that something that folks lobby ATI for?

I'm not in front of my home computer but I believe there is capability for users to create profiles. I'm just not sure what wold be the right configuration for AH. Anyway to figure that out?

Thanks!
--)-Rapier--
CO Musketeers
Longest continuously operating MMO squadron
Serving your target needs since 1990
They thought it would be a disgrace to go forth in a group.  Each entered the forest at a point that he had chosen where there was no path and where it was darkest. La Queste de St G

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 07:47:59 PM »
My frame rate last night in the "ndisle" tank town seemed to be worse than usual.  I certainly got more freezes and stutters than usual.  Whether this is due to the patch or something else, I can't say for sure. 

I did *not* have "environment mapping" enabled. 

MH

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 09:17:16 PM »
In order for dual GPU's or Crossfire or any multi-chip/card configuration to work, there must a profile for the software so the video driver can enable it.  To my knowledge, ATI/AMD do not have a profile for Aces High. If they provide a default profile, it is not going to be optimized for Aces High.

Beyond that, real-time environmental mapping is a very graphically intense operation.

can I yell at someone at ATI?  ;)
God knows we hammer guys for updates. To be honest thier (ADM) site sucks fo rfeaback and custmoer support but I will write them about AH. Have you fine fellas inquired about whether they will support AH with a profile? I would think developers have more pull with each other than whining customers like me. but I am more thanwilling to whine over at AMD.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 09:18:46 PM »
Envoronmental mapping here is set on none.

Still get  not only a frame rate hit. but every few seconds its like the graphics are loading from scratch like I just loaded the game.

Graphics are fine for a few seconds then reload all over again going from white to yellow to various shades of green until graphics look as they should. FR then drops to near nil and the process starts all over again
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 09:38:42 PM »
Game unplayable for me for reasons posted above since this latest patch.
Not bad if Im in a GV and zoomed in. But anything else and its just intolerable.
Any information I can further provide to help alleviate this. let me know
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 09:40:27 PM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 06:14:18 AM »
Game unplayable for me for reasons posted above since this latest patch.
Not bad if Im in a GV and zoomed in. But anything else and its just intolerable.
Any information I can further provide to help alleviate this. let me know
A DXDIAG output along with your game settings would be helpful.  It really sounds like your video card is running out of resources, but that is a guess.

Disable all the games "Advanced" options in Options->Graphic Detail and see what it does.

Overall, the game will use more resources, than the last one did.  Always happens with a new release with new planes in it,  If things were on the edge of going over, then this release would have pushed them over.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 07:35:24 AM »
Ok thanks.

DXdiag is after this post.

Here is something weird. At least to me.
Just went in game and started disablin stuff. Performance actually got worse. Figured. ok I'll set it on "default" and see what that does. It got worse yet.
turned off all the advanced settings and it got so bad I had to use .ef to end flight.

So I went and figured I'd give it a shot in the other direction.
clicked back on all the things I had checked before and then slid the Environmental mapping all the way to the left "full" And it actually improved somewhat. Or I should say the refresh sped up so it was doing it more frequently At that rate if I could move it in the same direction yet again. It would probably load wonderfully
Its almost like its working backwards as one would think it should.

Also noticed that even at the highest settings its using only 300M of my 500 MBof my video memory where one (or at least I) would think it would be using more
Though the lower settings it is using less again.

Here is the DiretX. I have some screenshots of settings that I'll put up if I have time. If not then later today

« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 07:51:41 AM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 07:38:54 AM »
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 7/20/2012, 08:06:48
       Machine name: GOMEZ1
   Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.120504-1619)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
       System Model: EP35-DS3L
               BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E8400  @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
             Memory: 3582MB RAM
          Page File: 399MB used, 5065MB available
        Windows Dir: D:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
     DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
  DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
      Display Tab 1: No problems found.
        Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
          Music Tab: No problems found.
          Input Tab: No problems found.
        Network Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D:    0/4 (n/a)
DirectDraw:  0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectPlay:  0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow:  0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
        Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
     Manufacturer: NVIDIA
        Chip type: GeForce 8800 GT
         DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
       Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0611&SUBSYS_C8013842&REV_A2
   Display Memory: 512.0 MB
     Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (75Hz)
          Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
  Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
      Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
   Driver Version: 6.14.0012.8558 (English)
      DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
 Driver Date/Size: 10/8/2011 00:50:00, 4226688 bytes
      WHQL Logo'd: Yes
  WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
              VDD: n/a
         Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
    Mini VDD Date: 10/8/2011 00:50:00, 12791488 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4551-11CF-9C7A-0DE803C2CB35}
        Vendor ID: 0x10DE
        Device ID: 0x0611
        SubSys ID: 0xC8013842
      Revision ID: 0x00A2
      Revision ID: 0x00A2
      Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_D
 Deinterlace Caps: {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
                   {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalSt retch
                   {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
                   {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalSt retch
                   {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
                   {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalSt retch
                   {6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
                   {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalSt retch
         Registry: OK
     DDraw Status: Enabled
       D3D Status: Enabled
       AGP Status: Enabled
DDraw Test Result: Not run
 D3D7 Test Result: Not run
 D3D8 Test Result: Not run
 D3D9 Test Result: Not run

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
            Description: Emu10Kx Audio [D000]
 Default Sound Playback: Yes
 Default Voice Playback: Yes
            Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_80651102&REV_0A
        Manufacturer ID: 1
             Product ID: 100
                   Type: WDM
            Driver Name: ctaud2k.sys
         Driver Version: 5.12.0001.0252 (English)
            WHQL Logo'd: Yes
          Date and Size: 7/18/2002 22:47:52, 837548 bytes
            Other Files:
        Driver Provider: Creative
         HW Accel Level: Standard
              Cap Flags: 0xF5F
    Min/Max Sample Rate: 4000, 191999
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0
 Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
              HW Memory: 0
       Voice Management: No
 EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
   I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No
      Sound Test Result: Not run

---------------------
Sound Capture Devices
---------------------
            Description: Emu10Kx Audio [D000]
  Default Sound Capture: Yes
  Default Voice Capture: Yes
            Driver Name: ctaud2k.sys
         Driver Version: 5.12.0001.0252 (English)
          Date and Size: 7/18/2002 22:47:52, 837548 bytes
              Cap Flags: 0x41
           Format Flags: 0xFFF

-----------
DirectMusic
-----------
        DLS Path: D:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\drivers\GM.DLS
     DLS Version: 1.00.0016.0002
    Acceleration: n/a
           Ports: Microsoft Synthesizer, Software (Not Kernel Mode), Output, DLS, Internal, Default Port
                  Emu10Kx Audio [D000], Software (Kernel Mode), Output, DLS, Internal
                  Microsoft MIDI Mapper [Emulated], Hardware (Not Kernel Mode), Output, No DLS, Internal
                  Emu10Kx Sw Synth [D000] [Emulated], Hardware (Not Kernel Mode), Output, No DLS, Internal
                  Emu10Kx MIDI Port [D000] [Emulated], Hardware (Not Kernel Mode), Output, No DLS, External
                  Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth [Emulated], Hardware (Not Kernel Mode), Output, No DLS, Internal
                  Emu10Kx MIDI Port [D000] [Emulated], Hardware (Not Kernel Mode), Input, No DLS, External
     Test Result: Not run

-------------------
DirectInput Devices
-------------------
      Device Name: Mouse
         Attached: 1
    Controller ID: n/a
Vendor/Product ID: n/a
        FF Driver: n/a

Device Name: Keyboard
         Attached: 1