Author Topic: Problem  (Read 2006 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: Problem
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2012, 05:27:23 PM »
shuffler nailed it. more often than not, you need to "exercise" those automatic 4x4 systems. they get sticky. you'd be surprised at how many people buy a 4x4 suv, and have it for years without ever putting it in 4 wheel drive. then when they need it, the actuator doesn't get it all the way in.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2012, 06:56:58 PM »
Lol, it's funny I went to go get my exhaust done at this local shop and the guy looks under and said my truck had 4 catalytic converters! Lmfao! 2 infront of sensor 2 behind. Who's the idiot that made that?

Two of those are resonators, not cats.    As for your question, some engineer who never worked on a vehicle with his bare hands and always paid someone else to do it.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2012, 07:15:40 PM »
Two of those are resonators, not cats.    As for your question, some engineer who never worked on a vehicle with his bare hands and always paid someone else to do it.

no, he's right. many "dirty" running engines have 2 cats per bank. look at the old ohv ford 5 liters, or the early ohc 4.6 liters. those things ran filthy. the v6 audis and vw's run 2 cats per bank too. the resonator is farther downstream.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2012, 07:19:53 PM »
no, he's right. many "dirty" running engines have 2 cats per bank. look at the old ohv ford 5 liters, or the early ohc 4.6 liters. those things ran filthy. the v6 audis and vw's run 2 cats per bank too. the resonator is farther downstream.

True, but I know sometimes those are mistaken for them.   More money for "Sensors".   :)
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2012, 07:29:08 PM »
I was wrong about the liberty part. It's actually a Wrangler!

(Image removed from quote.)

Classic example of running a bad line.

90% of off-road driving is knowing what the hell one is doing.  That one should have been a no-brainer...

Any vehicle stuck on the frame is stuck.  Until winched, of course.

PS:  Let some of the air outta those tires  :D
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2012, 07:38:51 PM »
Classic example of running a bad line.

90% of off-road driving is knowing what the hell one is doing.  That one should have been a no-brainer...

Any vehicle stuck on the frame is stuck.  Until winched, of course.

PS:  Let some of the air outta those tires  :D

Been in some nasty spots, been able to avoid pulling cable so far (knock on wood).    

Worst one.    In my Jeep Clubs (Soldiers of Fortune Off Road - Michigan) inaugural "SnoFari in 2006 near West Branch.   Almost the identical trails as the Internationally known "Sno-Blind", held by the old Mudchuggers Club.  I had my 83 CJ-7 at the time.    I come up to a tank trap about 75 long and watched a TJ on 36's pull cable three rigs in front of me.   I was "tail gunning" for my buddy who the Trail Leader.   I go into 4 Hi and hug the right bank, with my left tires "almost on the crest", but just below to get more traction.    I get about 3/4's of the way through it and "BANG".   "F**K", my front diff smacks square against a buried rock which stopped my rig dead.    I back up and realize in the excitement that my Dana 300 had popped out of Hi and went to 2wd.    "Oh, this is not good" I mumble to myself.    

Dana 300's enjoy being taken in and out of gear, on level ground.    I'm about 35 off camber.   I back up about 10 feet and the gears mesh.   Meanwhile, my buddy is yelling for me to pull the cable.   I adjust to miss the rock.   I put it into 4 Hi and floored it.    I made it out to the surprise of not only the folks there waiting, but myself.  

I miss that Jeep and regret trading it straight up for a 95 ZJ on 3.5" of lift.

I blew that engine on the way home and found a nice 1972 AMC 304 to replace it with.    33" BFG Muds, Front and Rear Detroit Lockers with 4.27 gears.   

New "Old Rig"
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 07:44:50 PM by Masherbrum »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Dace

• Silver Member
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2012, 09:30:21 PM »
Happy you got it fixed - but watch it...I drive a Liberty!  :furious

(Image removed from quote.)

Me too Buster! Mines an '02 though.

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2012, 10:34:54 PM »
shuffler nailed it. more often than not, you need to "exercise" those automatic 4x4 systems. they get sticky. you'd be surprised at how many people buy a 4x4 suv, and have it for years without ever putting it in 4 wheel drive. then when they need it, the actuator doesn't get it all the way in.

That sounds about right.  My incident happened about a month after i got the truck, and it was the first time I used 4 low. 

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2012, 11:13:45 PM »
True, but I know sometimes those are mistaken for them.   More money for "Sensors".   :)

yep.

considering it's generally the dirtier running engines, with 4 of them, and fords tended to run dirtier than chevys, i put my gt up on the lift tonight. she's got 1 cat on each bank, just off the headers, which look almost like short tri-y's. then there's resonators downstream a bit, then the mufflers, out behind the axle. she's getting the shelby mufflers tomorrow. if i decide i can afford it, i'm getting a boss302 intermediate pipe with the side exiting exhaust, and electric cut outs.  :devil
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2012, 11:41:58 PM »
yep.

considering it's generally the dirtier running engines, with 4 of them, and fords tended to run dirtier than chevys, i put my gt up on the lift tonight. she's got 1 cat on each bank, just off the headers, which look almost like short tri-y's. then there's resonators downstream a bit, then the mufflers, out behind the axle. she's getting the shelby mufflers tomorrow. if i decide i can afford it, i'm getting a boss302 intermediate pipe with the side exiting exhaust, and electric cut outs.  :devil

BTW CAP, some Shelby exhausts are made by Borla.   Borla IIRC, made the exhausts for the Cobra and GT40's, Cobra-R's and now the GT500's.   Skuzzy might know more, but I believe Alex was one of the few who believed in Carroll from the get-go and stuck with him.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2012, 07:43:57 AM »
BTW CAP, some Shelby exhausts are made by Borla.   Borla IIRC, made the exhausts for the Cobra and GT40's, Cobra-R's and now the GT500's.   Skuzzy might know more, but I believe Alex was one of the few who believed in Carroll from the get-go and stuck with him.

cool!

i took a sound clip of stock exhaust last night. when i get the new clamps(the o.e. clamps are tack welded to the o.e. mufflers and i don't want to take them off) i'll be getting them mounted up, and taking another clip.......
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2012, 09:17:30 AM »
I guess all cars produced after 1996 are dirty running cars?

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2012, 09:37:00 AM »
I guess all cars produced after 1996 are dirty running cars?

look at the number of cats. the more cats, the dirtier it runs. verify by removing an ot sensor, or otherwise tapping into the exhaust before any of the cats. you'll be surprised.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2012, 10:33:56 AM »
I've never had any mechanical problems due to mud, but I did manage to get stuck in it once.  Hit some real soft mud on the driver's side and found myself at about a 45 degree tilt with water up to the door handle.  Had to get pulled out of that and the skid plate scooped up a bunch of mud.  That was fun to crawl under the truck in January weather with a hose to clean it out...

As far as switching to 4Hi and 4Lo, never had any balkyness from my Toyota.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2012, 11:01:16 AM »
I've never had any mechanical problems due to mud, but I did manage to get stuck in it once.  Hit some real soft mud on the driver's side and found myself at about a 45 degree tilt with water up to the door handle.  Had to get pulled out of that and the skid plate scooped up a bunch of mud.  That was fun to crawl under the truck in January weather with a hose to clean it out...

As far as switching to 4Hi and 4Lo, never had any balkyness from my Toyota.

We Jeep owners like to refer to that as a "shovel"   :D
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.