Author Topic: 150 octane fuel  (Read 10108 times)

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
150 octane fuel
« on: August 03, 2012, 11:26:48 PM »
I understand this was available during WWII on a limited basis in late war.  My wish is that we can choose this fuel by using perks for 150 octane fuel loadout on those aeroplanes where it was an option during combat. :aok

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
Re: 150 octane fuel
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 03:14:20 AM »
Where's my "eating popcorn" smiley when I need it/

Though I suppose board's been cleansed of the worst offenders on this one.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 04:06:01 AM »
Ok if you reset everyone's perks.

But I'd be concerned that the MA would be even more all allied than before
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 08:47:21 AM »
While I would personally find a 380mph on the deck Mosquito amusing, I don't think this would be good for the game.

Also, as I understand it AH does not have the capability to modify the base flight model in the hangar, so for 150 octane to be added we would need a second Spitfire Mk XIV, Spitfire Mk XVI, P-51D, Tempest Mk V, P-47M and Mosquito Mk VI in the list.

The one exception to my disagreement is the aircraft I would like to see redone with 150 octane, the already perked Spitfire Mk XIV.  If it were running on 150 octane it would truly be worthy of being perked.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 05:11:14 PM »
Here are the official summaries on the 150 octaine fuel with the USAAF and RAF.

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/150grade/150-grade-fuel.html

Into Service with the Royal Air Force
Following successful testing, the Spitfire IX's Merlin 66 was cleared in March 1944 to use +25 lbs, obtainable with 150 grade fuel. 29   In early May, No. 1 and No. 165 Squadrons comprising the Predannack Wing, were the first to convert their Spitfires to +25 lbs boost and employ 150 grade fuel on operations. Air Defense Great Britain (A.D.G.B.) shared a report, dated 16th June 1944 with A.E.A.F. summarizing the RAF's experience with using 150 Grade Fuel in Merlin 66 engines. All pilots reported most favorably on the value of the high boost pressures obtainable with 150 Grade Fuel, however, Technical Staff felt that before the fuel was introduced on a large scale that the causes of backfires must be established and that at least 12 engines should complete 200 hours each. 30   Eventually the backfire problem was sorted out, see: Backfire trouble resulting from use of 150 grade fuel. 27 July, 1944 and Backfire trouble resulting from use of 150 grade fuel. 12 August, 1944 31, 32

The increased performance obtained with 150 Grade Fuel was put to good use by Mustangs, Tempests and Spitfires in intercepting Buzz Bombs launched against Britain beginning mid June. Performance increases at sea level were as follows: 

------------------------------130 Grade---- 150 Grade 
Spitfire IX --------------------335 mph----- 358 mph   +25 lb 
Spitfire XIV ------------------359 mph------ 366 mph   +21 lb 
Tempest V -------------------372 mph------ 386 mph   +11 lb 
Mustang III (V-1650-3) -----360 mph------ 390 mph   +25 lb 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 05:39:41 PM »
Here are the official summaries on the 150 octaine fuel with the USAAF and RAF.

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/150grade/150-grade-fuel.html

Into Service with the Royal Air Force
Following successful testing, the Spitfire IX's Merlin 66 was cleared in March 1944 to use +25 lbs, obtainable with 150 grade fuel. 29   In early May, No. 1 and No. 165 Squadrons comprising the Predannack Wing, were the first to convert their Spitfires to +25 lbs boost and employ 150 grade fuel on operations. Air Defense Great Britain (A.D.G.B.) shared a report, dated 16th June 1944 with A.E.A.F. summarizing the RAF's experience with using 150 Grade Fuel in Merlin 66 engines. All pilots reported most favorably on the value of the high boost pressures obtainable with 150 Grade Fuel, however, Technical Staff felt that before the fuel was introduced on a large scale that the causes of backfires must be established and that at least 12 engines should complete 200 hours each. 30   Eventually the backfire problem was sorted out, see: Backfire trouble resulting from use of 150 grade fuel. 27 July, 1944 and Backfire trouble resulting from use of 150 grade fuel. 12 August, 1944 31, 32

The increased performance obtained with 150 Grade Fuel was put to good use by Mustangs, Tempests and Spitfires in intercepting Buzz Bombs launched against Britain beginning mid June. Performance increases at sea level were as follows:  

------------------------------130 Grade---- 150 Grade  
Spitfire IX --------------------335 mph----- 358 mph   +25 lb  
Spitfire XIV ------------------359 mph------ 366 mph   +21 lb  
Tempest V -------------------372 mph------ 386 mph   +11 lb  
Mustang III (V-1650-3) -----360 mph------ 390 mph   +25 lb  

:O :pray :pray :pray

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline Paladin3

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 05:51:08 PM »
Maybe then the Mustang would cruise at the speed it is listed as being instead of being nerfed.

I see lots of 109 and 190 drivers still flying their planes. And not just the K4 or the D9. They like those planes and know them VERY well.

Nope, give it to us so I can stop flying with a handicap.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 06:05:29 PM »
I'm with midway on this one, 

Spits need to be able to catch all those runners!!   Give the 150 octane and lets hear the  :ahand
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 07:01:40 PM »
Only if I us luft dweebs get a K4 with C3 fuel.  :neener:

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 08:10:30 PM »
If you get that, I want the MW 50 boost and C3 fuel for all aplicable planes. Even then, Japan gets screwed over, Russia gets screwed over, Italy gets screwed over, etc. Besides, we need a 150-octane fuel like we need Hitech to sell Aces High.

Unperk the spit 14 and then theres no real reason to completely screw up all of the perk prices, ENY levels, restrictions, etc.

Really, this just sounds like a way to make the P-51 live up to its runstang legacy, and to give the spitfire almost de jure noob/skilless-pilot-ride status.

You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 08:51:03 PM »
This document shows that 150 was OK'd as a standard for these aircraft by 8\44 for both airforces. Only 4 JG of 35 in the west flying G10\K4 were OK'd for 1.98 ata with C3 by 3\45 per a single document at Kurfurst.org. Fw190's were the primary single engine users of C3. Bf109 for the most part used B4. Before 3\45 the Luft basicly had ceased to exist and our over use of the K4 in the game is more like a what if 1946 scenario.

If anyone bothered to read WW2 history, yes the US beat the Germans and the Japanese because the US kept improving it's technology and output volumes to beat their enemies while blowing the snot out of them with hoards of hot aircraft. And the P51D and P51B\C were both OKed to run on 150 by 8\44 as a standard. With Merlin 66 spits, P51D, spit14 and TempestV on 150, maybe adjusting perk assingments and values would need their occasional review by HTC. Then the LWMA furballs might get more intersting because the K4 would not be able to hang everyone up beneith it with it's WEP. It would simply be one of several unperked WEP monster late war rides available in the LWMA instead of "the" unperked monster WEP ride. I really couldn't see the P51D using 150 perked more than 8-10 or even that.

From Spitfire Performance Spit XIV vs 109G\K
http://www.spitfireperformance.com/spit14v109.html

The Spitfire XIV was the most marvellous aeroplane at that time and I consider it to have been the best operational fighter of them all as it could out-climb virtually anything. The earlier Merlin-Spitifre may have had a slight edge when it came to turning performance but the Mark XIV was certainly better in this respect than the opposition we were faced with. The only thing it couldn't do was keep up with the FW 190D in a dive. It could be a bit tricky on take off if one opened the throttle too quickly as you just couldn't hold it staight because the torque was so great from the enormous power developed from the Griffon engine. One big advantage that we had over the Germans was that we ran our aircraft on advanced fuels which gave us more power. The 150 octane fuel that we used was strange looking stuff as it was bright green and had an awful smell - it had to be heavily leaded to cope with the extra compression of the engine.

The 150 octane report document now shines some light on the statement by this spitXIV pilot.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 09:27:19 PM »
Still  no reason to give 150 octane fuel to the US/UK aircraft. Really, I can just see it completely screwing things up for quite a while.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 09:35:26 PM »
Search the aircraft and vehicles forum.  This has been beaten to death and all the info in the world you could want can be found there. 

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,159985.0.html

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,170295.0.html

There are more threads as well.

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 12:53:29 AM »
My mustang isnt fast enough!!
My spit outturns everything but i want it to outrun everything too!!

Sometimes it just cant be good enough.
Oh and wi ahr teh Luftwheeneez, right?
<sigh>
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 01:49:58 AM by Debrody »
AoM
City of ice