Author Topic: Nav Aid  (Read 1399 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Nav Aid
« on: August 04, 2012, 12:52:25 AM »
Is the Nav Aid only an offline option?

Too bad it dosen't have a selection of size options. The current as max, a mid and small. I can see a use for it in scenarios when the fighters are separated from the bombers and using VOX to vector back. For many players who are not pilots nor use a compass for anything, it makes an excellent "Nav Aid" common reference for all in a VOX conversation. I think a small version with an active dial needle would not give the feeling of crowding the map. But, some eyes would require an option for Mid and Max.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Re: Nav Aid
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 08:38:28 AM »
I would like to be able to undock it from the map and move the Nav Aid anyplace you'd like to.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Tracerfi

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 09:06:58 AM »
I would like to be able to undock it from the map and move the Nav Aid anyplace you'd like to.

Coogan
+1
You cannot beat savages by becoming one.

He who must not be named

Offline Cjpedrido

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 01:20:00 PM »
+1... :aok  Good idea.

vSKYDIVE
Devils=v=Brigade

Offline shermanjr

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 09:03:06 PM »
u guys do now theres ussualy 2 compases in each plane
475th fg dgs
404th fighter group Winter SKy Deth ground
361 st fg
1st pursuit squadron avg
+flyingfury+ main arena
in game name pattonjr

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 09:19:17 AM »
It is not always in a visible place when using fixed views system.

My gripe with the cockpit compasses is that they have a dial with N always up while you heading needle is rotating. I never saw such a compass on a plane and I find it very confusing. The compasses I used were either a rotating cylinder (visible sideways) where your current direction was the number/EWNS marking visible through the small window (the AH mossie has one in the middle of the panel, and the other type were rotating discs where your current direction was the number at the top of the disc (there are non of this type in AH). The advantage of the second type is that it is easy to call absolute directions in-flight - if you see a plane to your right, you read the direction to the right (3 oclock) of the compas disc.

Still, I do not want any floating HUD elements. This will ruin the authentic feeling. On top of the map is still acceptable.

Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 11:21:37 AM »

Actually that's not correct.  there is generally one magnetic compass in an aircraft and on Gyro with a compass card face on it.  A Magnetic compass will always seek and point to magnetic north.  A Gyro Compass will not naturally point in any direction, it must be first set to a heading that you wish it to track.  If the Gyro motor does not spin the Gyro at the correct speed, the compass may creep over time and require the user to realign or reset the Gyro. 
Also as a side note the magnetic  compass as depicted in the game is not correct.  On actual aircraft magnetic compasses the compass card is reversed.  For gaming reasons the author thought it would be less confusing to the non pilot
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 02:27:59 PM »
This is a nice game tool. Just wish you could choose a smaller active depiction of it.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline doright

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 01:18:34 PM »
...On actual aircraft magnetic compasses the compass card is reversed...

Always dangerous to make blanket statements like that. It just invites a flurry of pics depicting how wrong you are for this particular a/c, that nation, or period of paleo-geomagnetic oscillation.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 01:52:27 PM by doright »
Armaments 3:9 "Fireth thee not in their forward quarters lest thee be beset by 200 imps and be naughty in their sight."

Offline Lab Rat 3947

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 12:14:18 AM »
It would be great if it could be used online and if it could be resized.   :old:
LtngRydr
14th FG Grounded

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 10:41:33 AM »

Always dangerous to make blanket statements like that. It just invites a flurry of pics depicting how wrong you are for this particular a/c, that nation, or period of paleo-geomagnetic oscillation.

I'll stand by my statement. Please feel free to provide any evidence, pictures or whatever you have that shows an aircraft liquid filled compass. 

If you were heading south, in an actual aircraft the compass card would
                look like |!21!|!|!S!|!|!15!
In AH it looks like |!15|!|!S!|!|!21!|

in either case to head East, you'd turn left.  The AH representation is more intuitive, but not accurate.  It’s presented the way it is for the now flying public.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline texasfighter

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 04:17:47 PM »
Photo of aircraft compass:

"If you wanted a glamor picture to send home you sat in a Mustang, when you wanted to come back from a mission you sat in a Thunderbolt."

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 04:47:39 PM »
Helps alot offline when I screw up with (.target range heading pitch)
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 06:25:05 PM »
Well like control "I" It would be nice to have an E6B lite version pop up.
They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 11:03:47 AM »
why just offline? because it is unrealistic?
now posting as SirNuke