Author Topic: Equipment to improve AH play  (Read 5908 times)

Offline maddog

• Nickel Member
Equipment to improve AH play
« on: August 04, 2012, 01:58:30 PM »
I have been in AH since its beginning and I think I can retire with full benefits in another couple of years....

During this time I have continually upgraded components here and there and as such I have come to some conclusions on equipment.

I always see posts about this and that and decided to evaluate which have been most helpful to my limited aerial skills.

1) There is no substitute for size, that includes monitors.... currently running a 27inch at 120.... 119 frame rates
   which dip down to 80 something in the midst of chaos. The bigger thing are the easier they are to kill... would love to
   have a 30' Dell put social security won't spring for $1100 or so.

2) Controls varied over the years from Saitek to CH to now Hotas Warthog. Saitek where nice but got jumpy fast... CH, Which are my fallback,
   Are solid as a rock and last forever... By the way there have been a number of Logitech in there and they never lasted with me to long as they       got spikey,
   as the Saitek's did. The warthog is excellent and if you've been playing since the bronze age as I have you can really
   appreciate it.

3) Win 7 64 on SSD... never did have any problems with HDs thou...

4)TIR I think the latest is verSion 5?  works great and now is indispensible....  A perfect setup takes months of tweeting.

5) Have 2 pos 32key keyboards programmed to different planes and things like move, squelch, modes, gas level, planes, different auto pilot modes,
   bomb load out, salvo etc etc. I find this much easier to cope with then dot commands....(try to spell squelch when your irrated and in a hurry.
   ManAWar has his own button..... Oh and if you have a small choice of wingman you can program dot commands onto a key to make one button press
   wingman selection.

6) Asus 7.1 sound with Razor Tiamat 7.1 headsets..... easier to hear someone on your six.. directional positioning is the best.... thou bombs will scare
   the life out of you

7) Rudder pedals are as most of you know, are mandatory.... could land without them... Using Saitek and am happy.... Had the German ones for a while
   and they where great but that was back in the rs232 days..... They are expensive and are not easy to come by in the US.

8) Chess timer 15min blitz mode.... keeps track of VH down time....

I guess once you pass the frame rate pinnacle, monitor size and speed I find the most critical..... Then you get behind an easy kill and you can't get
a gun solution because of spiky controls or rudders.... CH or Warthog... POS keyboards are great and make "playing" this "game" so much easier....

That's it until the new system and video card..... next time the wife goes to California to visit the grand kids.... coordinating UPS deliveries when she's away is so much less stressful.

By the way HT what kind of benefits do we get for twenty years of faithful service to the Knights?

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
Re: Equipment to improve AH play
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 02:05:07 PM »
Well played sir!

:salute :cheers:
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 04:22:54 PM »
 :)

7.1 headphones are great when bombs are dropped a town :)

I wish I could have a big monitor
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Halo46

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 05:56:27 PM »
Monitors verses TVs? What are the differences? What to look for when selecting? I am technologically challenged and run around like a dog chasing a laser pointer with these decisions... :noid  Like others, it is getting more and more difficult for me to see the smaller things onscreen so I am going to need a seeing eye wonder dog to get around the skies... or a bigger better monitor.

Used to fly as Halo46, GRHalo, Hobo and Punk at the end.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 03:26:32 AM »
Monitors verses TVs? What are the differences? What to look for when selecting? I am technologically challenged and run around like a dog chasing a laser pointer with these decisions... :noid  Like others, it is getting more and more difficult for me to see the smaller things onscreen so I am going to need a seeing eye wonder dog to get around the skies... or a bigger better monitor.
Basically a TV is a monitor. Today both are sold mainly according the FullHD specs, with a resolution of 1920*1080. The bigger the screen the bigger a single pixel is. Some of them work better than others as computer gaming monitors. There's been a lot of discussion about using a TV in AH on this very forum also during this year, so the information is intact. AFAIK the main aspect in using a TV as a monitor is how computer usage bypasses the built-in motion enhance processing some TV's use.

Of course there are many other monitor types on the market than the FullHD ones. There are also large monitors with much more pixels than the aforementioned 1920*1020. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the monitors with more pixels (Retina, as Apple has named it) don't display the banana fly looking dot any sharper or bigger, they only show more what's around it. So, for better finding a dot in the blue, bigger pixels are the way to go, so far.

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 04:46:19 AM »
Basically a TV is a monitor. Today both are sold mainly according the FullHD specs, with a resolution of 1920*1080. The bigger the screen the bigger a single pixel is. Some of them work better than others as computer gaming monitors. There's been a lot of discussion about using a TV in AH on this very forum also during this year, so the information is intact. AFAIK the main aspect in using a TV as a monitor is how computer usage bypasses the built-in motion enhance processing some TV's use.

Of course there are many other monitor types on the market than the FullHD ones. There are also large monitors with much more pixels than the aforementioned 1920*1020. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the monitors with more pixels (Retina, as Apple has named it) don't display the banana fly looking dot any sharper or bigger, they only show more what's around it. So, for better finding a dot in the blue, bigger pixels are the way to go, so far.

The 'retina' displays use a pixel dot size so small that in marketing terms a human eye cannot see any individual pixels in the image anymore. In reality the resolution needs still to be a bit higher than what retina displays currently offer. In any case the retina displays are a horrible choice for gaming because the small dot size does make 'dot distance' contacts hard to follow while high res also ramps up GPU requirements considerably, especially considering the display size.

For gaming it's much better to get a triple view or 60" monster display with non-retina pixel sizes.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 10:01:23 AM »
I couldn't agree more with the OP but to one difference.. it looks great with triple 24 inch screens if you can afford them. One thing that you should also think of using is HDMI cables if your video cards allow it to get a better picture. Just my two cents.

Lawndart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 01:58:58 AM »
A thirty foot Dell must be an awfully big monitor.  And only $1100.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 03:44:37 AM »
A thirty foot Dell must be an awfully big monitor.  And only $1100.

I'd buy that for 1100. Although I would probably need to build a taller room just to fit it in our house :)
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 10:34:17 AM »
30 feet reminds me of the monitor project I introduced here quite some time ago, size of a couple of football fields...

Back to the OP's list, the 30" Dell is labeled "Ultra Sharp" and uses a resolution of  2560 x 1600. Compared to his current 27 incher the Dell's pixels might be even smaller, making it even more difficult to find a dot from the virtual sky. For viewing landscapes it would be breathtaking, though...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline iKo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 08:17:44 PM »
A thirty foot Dell must be an awfully big monitor.  And only $1100.

I have been using a 40'' Dynex HD 60MHz 1080p TV from best buys that i use for my TV. It looks great and now i can not fly unless i use it. It is only 299.99 look it up.
I just plug it in when i fly and anything else on the PC its just to big and that's why i am not buying another one and just plug this on in when i fly. But dam for that kind of money you cant go wrong in my opinion. Or 3 of these wow.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26%23153%3B+-+40%22+Class+-+LCD+-+1080p+-+60Hz+-+HDTV/2620821.p?id=1218340598798&skuId=2620821
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 08:20:03 PM by iKo »

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 10:50:55 PM »
A 27"+ monitor, a PC that can run it with max vis range/resolution, a twisty joystick.

Cheap, easy, works.  :) I believe that once you start spending $500+ on gaming "aids", then you're just "buying" skill. Just my opinion. I fly with that simple set up and kill guys with much more fancier stuff so I know it's true.  ;)

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 11:06:43 PM »
A 27"+ monitor, a PC that can run it with max vis range/resolution, a twisty joystick.

Cheap, easy, works.  :) I believe that once you start spending $500+ on gaming "aids", then you're just "buying" skill. Just my opinion. I fly with that simple set up and kill guys with much more fancier stuff so I know it's true.  ;)

you're post contradicts itself.....if they are "Buying" skill...they would kill you easy with a fancy set up.....if you have a basic twist stick....

it does not matter how much "stuff" you have..... if you cant fight.....all the accessories in the world isn't gonna make you fight better.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 11:10:06 PM »
you're post contradicts itself.....if they are "Buying" skill...they would kill you easy with a fancy set up.....if you have a basic twist stick....

it does not matter how much "stuff" you have..... if you cant fight.....all the accessories in the world isn't gonna make you fight better.

No, it just means even with "bought" skill, they can't kill me. And I know I'm not the only one. Member of the squad, RedBull plays the game with lowest setting/resolution with 10-20fps and still kicks my butt 5/10 times. Not tooting my own horn,  just showing my opinion on people spending a ton of money for little to no gain.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 11:17:20 PM »
its not bought "skill" then......

not trying to start an argument.....but if I had the cash I would have a full motion sim that ran AH :aok