Author Topic: Meanwhile In Florida  (Read 1925 times)

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
Re: Meanwhile In Florida
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 12:47:11 PM »
I think it's kharma.  That's what Florida gets for digging that big ditch between themselves and Cuba and filling it with shark infested waters just to keep those poor Cubans from walking to their state for freedom.

Just sayin.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline jollyFE

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 10:16:58 PM »
whats a feeter band...
Every time a Nit vulches,  an angel get it's wings.

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 10:29:25 PM »
whats a feeter band...

Whether it is a serious question or not...

Do you notice that when a Tropical Storm/Hurricane spins that it grow "arms" or bands of spiraling showers that reach out? Those are called Feter Bands and they tend to produce heavy rainfall and often small tornados
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2012, 06:29:28 PM »
Whether it is a serious question or not...

Do you notice that when a Tropical Storm/Hurricane spins that it grow "arms" or bands of spiraling showers that reach out? Those are called Feter Bands and they tend to produce heavy rainfall and often small tornados
Sorry but the correct term is feeder band.
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2012, 08:36:30 AM »
 I find it odd how people over react to storms in Florida. I think it is because we have so many non-Floridians in position of power. It cost money to say cancel a day of the RNC for police and other services or cancelling school for almost no reason. Get a grip folks it was a little rain and very little wind for 90% of our state.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2012, 09:33:47 AM »
I find it odd how people over react to storms in Florida. I think it is because we have so many non-Floridians in position of power. It cost money to say cancel a day of the RNC for police and other services or cancelling school for almost no reason. Get a grip folks it was a little rain and very little wind for 90% of our state.

Nah, because 10 years ago 3 hurricanes tore up florida - Charlie? Jeanni and something else - One entire town got virtually wiped out. Hurricanes are unpredictable and during this time nobody was prepared.

Here's an example of one of the hurricanes that trashed my area:
JG 52

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2012, 11:20:09 AM »

It's better to be safe than sorry. Even when told to evacuate pyou will see those folks who stay and put others at risk of death.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Dogtown

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2012, 11:34:26 AM »
I find that the smaller hurricanes ...1's and 2's are just a bunch of rain with gusty winds, no different than our normal summer rains that happen when the east and west sea breezes collide. Its the tornadoes that spawn in these hurricanes that do the most damage and just like anywhere in the country these are harder to predict and therefore they should be taken seriously. Just my two cents.
Soooo's I'm standing there i got my ......NM

Offline chaser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2012, 05:23:10 PM »
Yeah - most of FL got ripped off of the chance for much needed rain...

It was just that the East coast got pummeled by the N/S Feter Band...

It is too bad it didn't drift a bit more west so more of the state could have had some...

That'd be a FEEDER band. Just saying.

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2012, 09:39:05 AM »
Nah, because 10 years ago 3 hurricanes tore up florida - Charlie? Jeanni and something else - One entire town got virtually wiped out. Hurricanes are unpredictable and during this time nobody was prepared.

(Image removed from quote.)

Yep that was 2004 I think. We live in Bradenton and our neighbors took off and went to Orlando to hide out from the storm while we stayed home. The storm when ashore below Ft Myers went across the state blow the roof off the place our neighbors were staying and destroyed their car. Mean while my wife and I were just fine 2 miles from the beach here in Bradenton with our generator running. We only had a few limbs fall in our yard. The point is the storm models are about as predictable as playing the lotto. The only storm that ever caused much damage was the no name storm in 89.

We lost two patrol cars that year to storm surge at my PD and that storm came out of now where. I rode out a huge storm in a house trailer in Ruskin in 1969 as a kid. Now tornadoes in the midwest is another story those things will kill you. I bet more people were killed in just one or two of the big tornadoes last year than all the hurricanes Florida has had in the last 100 years.     

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2012, 10:11:13 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

I think it was the 2004 "Hurricane Train" there was a total of  4...... Charlie, Francis, Jeanne and Ivan
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2012, 10:34:20 AM »
Yep, 2004 was a doozy. Francis and Jeanne lasted for days, and Charlie was still a Cat. 2 by the time it reached Orlando. Ft. Meyers was absolutely devastated by Charlie. When it hit us, it caused extensive damage. We lost an 80 year old, 40 ft. Tall oak tree in our lawn, which could have destroyed our house. The whole thing lasted two hours because the storm was moving so fast.
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2012, 11:05:10 AM »
We lost two patrol cars that year to storm surge at my PD and that storm came out of now where. I rode out a huge storm in a house trailer in Ruskin in 1969 as a kid. Now tornadoes in the midwest is another story those things will kill you. I bet more people were killed in just one or two of the big tornadoes last year than all the hurricanes Florida has had in the last 100 years.     

Tornadoes are just as bad in Florida - Hurricanes I don't mind much - but the tornadoes that they spawn are extremely deadly. One family - the Cordero's was living in a trailer at the time during 04, entire family was killed. Bob was disabled from a motorcycle accident and his wife worked security, they had 3 kids.
When one of the hurricanes went overhead, a tornado spawned and was less then 2000 feet from my house, picked up their trailer and flung it like a rag doll. I used to help them fix up the place, gave them whatever my rental property had left over when remodeling apartments (i.e bathroom sinks and kitchen cabinets etc).

After everything calmed down, I drove my truck up the road to check on some of the neighbors and tenants I have, found the trailer disintegrated in the storm, scattered all over the place, grim reminder of how serious mother nature can be.

Why he didn't goto the shelter is probably same reason I didn't - I rode out enough hurricanes and storms that I never was effected by them.
JG 52

Offline Daddkev

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2012, 12:56:05 PM »
 :bolt: :bolt: :bolt: I was on watch, on the Flightline when Hugo hit! Saw the roof to a resturant fly over the base 300 ft up, going about 120 miles an hour. It landed 15 miles from the building it left from. Even small hurricanes are scary, lots of stuff flying around and all going sideways. I was stationed at NAS CecilField, Jacksonville FL.  :salute :salute :salute You guys just be carefull.  :salute :salute :salute
God Bless America
Go tell Momm, im flying! and make me a sandwich !
EvilKev

2012 68KO Cup 1st Place finisher

Offline M0nkey_Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2012, 03:38:01 PM »
:O Those pics bring back bad memories of Rita and Ike.......stay safe to all in the path  :pray
Our family had the great idea to stay during Ike. Took a tree to the house but it wasn't near as bad as Rita. Rita fed us 4 trees through the roof
FlyKommando.com

"Tip of the dull butter knife"
delta07