Author Topic: Question  (Read 2443 times)

Offline Zodiac

• Copper Member
Re: Question
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2012, 06:38:29 PM »
Depends on the skill levels.  If the less skilled guy is going down in the first few seconds each time he won't have time to learn much or anything.

I'm not convinced of this, I DA a number of people who are quite a bit better than myself(not hard to do  :lol) and when we started out I would inevitably be down within a few turns. However the number of turns it took before I was shot down started to increase and the fights went from lasting a few turns to a few minutes. I rarely pass up the chance to DA anyone and that has helped quite a bit, now SA is a whole different story.  :aok
Member DFC
Quote from: Skuzzy
No cookie for you.
Quote from: Wiley
If they want to run to their ack or friendlies that's fine.  It's up to me to catch them and not get killed in the process if I can.

Offline DrBone1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2012, 08:09:43 PM »
My dueling experience was informed by fighting players better than myself and tons of duels against people of roughly equal skill.  I found both useful in different ways.  Duels against cohorts like Jase and Nath were fun and informative because they allowed for more improvisation and experimentation.  Sometimes you discover something in the course of those fights that elevates both of your games to a new level.

Duels against better players were more helpful for pushing me past skill plateaus.  I recall fighting Vap (of the Musketeers) some 16 years ago, and in the course of caving my face in fight after fight after fight, I realized that he was doing something I'd never considered before... using the vertical.  Big eye opener there, and that opened up the whole ACM game book to me.

ty for sharing.  :salute
=The Damned=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jjnCoBobc
I see DrBone has found a new Sith apprentice. Good, good, let the hate flow through you.  :devil
Move up, move over, or move aside.  Simple kombat 101.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2012, 05:00:35 PM »
I was wondering DrBone: do you think you are still learning?
”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Canspec

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2012, 06:21:06 PM »
I got alot better when I duelled with members of the Few, then Redbull, Dr. B and the other members of TG on a regular basis, so I guess practicing with better sticks does make you better...:old:...now I don't get the practice at all...and I dont get on too much..and I have slipped back into suckage..... :cry
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 06:22:38 PM by Canspec »
Gnat

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2012, 06:30:47 PM »
Problem with dueling is you only learn one small aspect of the game. Main Arena does not play fair, dog fighting is a 3 dimensional. Then again you can climb 20k above everyone else and still suck, this is where DA comes in to learn your basic roots.

My fun has always been pick 2 aircrafts per tour (I rotate aircraft every tour) - I often joke with bone "Pick a plane for me". When you learn the basic/advanced aspects of each aircraft you understand the game far better.

Everyone has their "Rides" I often joked I never had a single one but actually looking back at a year of flying I seem to stick with the Ki-84 - decent Eny, decent plane, underrated. I often will pair it with something else - i.e a Pony or P-38 so I can understand the different styles of flying.

I don't think Dueling ever helped me, or simply flying the MA - Getting involved with FSO, Scenarios, Snapshots, Main Arena and DA is what formed me.

JG 52

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2012, 06:40:21 PM »
Fighting against way better pilots opened my eyes, just like "whoa, never even guessed that its possible". Then flying against just a bit better ones helped a lot in perfecting the new moves.
Thank You for those who spent their time with me, helping the little newbie in improving.
AoM
City of ice

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2012, 06:41:43 PM »
Fighting against way better pilots opened my eyes, just like "whoa, never even guessed that its possible". Then flying against just a bit better ones helped a lot in perfecting the new moves.
Thank You for those who spent their time with me, helping the little newbie in improving.

Newbie my ass, your one of the better 109 drivers I know of.
JG 52

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2012, 07:04:51 PM »
Newbie my ass, your the best 109G6 drivers I know of.
:aok fixed
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2012, 07:07:42 PM »
I'm better than Deb!  :noid

Ok, maybe when he's drunk and I get him angry a little.  :lol :D

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2012, 07:18:07 PM »
lol enough, i could list 30+ people who would school me in my beloved ride, any day of the week.
Cant wait to get a working account and face them  :aok
AoM
City of ice

Offline DrBone1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2012, 07:26:25 PM »
I only asked this question because in my opinion fighting a player of equal skill will increase my chances of realizing what I did wrong in the first place whilst fighting a player WAY above me (Kazaa) Would not show me anything considering the fact I would only last 2 turns.

A little bit down the road fighting Grizz,Joachim,DrSpek,Suns,Krup,and Batfink of equal skill made me that much better to the point I could go even with Kazaa.

Just wanted other expert opinions on the matter.

I do find myself sometimes wondering if I have gained anymore experience through out my time but I do not seem to be able to pass the barrier of a even higher experience.
=The Damned=
I see DrBone has found a new Sith apprentice. Good, good, let the hate flow through you.  :devil

Offline DrBone1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2012, 07:28:05 PM »
I only asked this question because in my opinion fighting a player of equal skill will increase my chances of realizing what I did wrong in the first place whilst fighting a player WAY above me (Kazaa) Would not show me anything considering the fact I would only last 2 turns.

A little bit down the road fighting Grizz,Joachim,DrSpek,Suns,Krup,and Batfink of equal skill made me that much better to the point I could go even with Kazaa.

Just wanted other expert opinions on the matter.

I was wondering DrBone: do you think you are still learning?
I do find myself sometimes wondering if I have gained anymore experience through out my time but I do not seem to be able to pass the barrier of a even higher experience.
That came out totally wrong meant to put the quote in the above post.  :bhead  :bhead
=The Damned=

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2012, 07:31:37 PM »
My 2 cents: If you die in the first 30 seconds, how much have you learned? It is often much more of a learning experience to have a long fight with an equal or lesser, but lucky, experienced fighter...    :airplane:  :joystick:  :old:
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2012, 07:36:43 PM »
My 2 cents: If you die in the first 30 seconds, how much have you learned? It is often much more of a learning experience to have a long fight with an equal or lesser, but lucky, experienced fighter...    :airplane:  :joystick:  :old:

You learn to survive in the next round for 31 seconds. And the round after that, 32 seconds, then 33, 34, 35...until you beat the other guy by figuring out his tricks.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline DrBone1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2012, 07:38:02 PM »
This is my point no use in fighting somebody on a whole other level unless (stated by shane earlier) If the other guy is not helping you understand what exactly it is you are doing wrong.
=The Damned=