Author Topic: New smoke effect  (Read 5419 times)

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
Re: New smoke effect
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2012, 09:22:17 PM »
Copy all & understood Krusty.  I do agree. :salute
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2012, 07:28:54 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTAViMX-w6c

based on the first part of this video, rangers fire looks pretty good to me! even with the billowing!

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2012, 01:48:54 PM »
To be fair, that ship was stopped and for all intents dead. Similarly, you can see the Lexington fire here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iipW_576Ea0#t=347s

An equally destructive fire with a high crosswind that totalled the ship, but looks more "normal" (so to speak). You can see the clouds and bulges directly over the ship but as the wind blows it, it becomes a solid singular plume. Through most of the WW2 footage I've seen of ships on fire, this is how they look (for the most part)

P.S. I should have guessed Shifty would weigh in. I mean, after all he is nothing BUT hot air, right?

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2012, 03:24:17 PM »
actually it wasn't stopped, look at the bow, you'll see it slicing through the waves. since the fire is in the stern, they need to keep it moving into the wind so they can see what they're doing. if you watch the fire hoses you can see the mist getting caught in the wind and blowing off to the side. in a later scene you see the smoke going straight up, thats when its not moving/or drifting with the wind. in the yorktown fire, you can see its broadside to the wind and drifting. even then there is enough wind to give it that billowing affect.

as for it becoming more solid, you are correct that at distance it does do that. but we're not reconstructing historical photo's, we're trying to make the game something of its own. if the fire isnt perfect, who cares, its that much more effect then was there before ranger started messing around with it. good bad or indifferent, most will agree it enhances the game and thats all that matters to most of us that play on a regular basis!  :salute

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2012, 04:01:04 PM »
P.S. I should have guessed Shifty would weigh in. I mean, after all he is nothing BUT hot air, right?

I'll bow to your wisdom and agree with you on this one Krusty.
Because if anyone is an expert on hot air.. It has to be you.   ;)

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2012, 05:19:40 PM »
actually it wasn't stopped, look at the bow, you'll see it slicing through the waves. since the fire is in the stern, they need to keep it moving into the wind so they can see what they're doing. if you watch the fire hoses you can see the mist getting caught in the wind and blowing off to the side. in a later scene you see the smoke going straight up, thats when its not moving/or drifting with the wind. in the yorktown fire, you can see its broadside to the wind and drifting. even then there is enough wind to give it that billowing affect.

as for it becoming more solid, you are correct that at distance it does do that. but we're not reconstructing historical photo's, we're trying to make the game something of its own. if the fire isnt perfect, who cares, its that much more effect then was there before ranger started messing around with it. good bad or indifferent, most will agree it enhances the game and thats all that matters to most of us that play on a regular basis!  :salute

The 2nd bomb that tore through USS Franklin left it dead in the water with a 13 degree list.  It had to be towed out of the area until repairs on the engine were sufficient enough to make it to Pearl Harbor under its own power.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #111 on: September 23, 2012, 09:02:08 PM »
I'm working on a new ground fire effect that I am very quickly falling in love with.  My personal favorite so far.  Should have it finished up late tonight or tomorrow.  Pics tomorrow night.

:salute
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #112 on: September 23, 2012, 10:59:09 PM »
Sneak peek:

☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #113 on: September 24, 2012, 12:07:49 AM »
In the AvA now!

« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 12:13:56 AM by jimson »

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2012, 03:55:20 PM »
Thanks for sticking it in your terrain Jimson. :salute
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2012, 04:31:23 PM »

Went took some shots of the smoke and fire!!!!! Awesome job ranger!  :rock :salute
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #116 on: September 24, 2012, 04:44:16 PM »
Thx bud.  I don't like the smoke in its current size.  It's too big.  I haven't gone back to mess with it more since I started the thread.  I think it would look much better at half its current size.  Right now I'm making a new air explosion effect for when planes go BoOm.  Should have pics up later tonight.

P.S. I had no idea the .bmps used for ground smoke were also used for smoke coming off weapons firing and engines starting.  Looks goofy to me. :lol
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 04:47:17 PM by USRanger »
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #117 on: September 24, 2012, 04:46:20 PM »
I like it how it is big and puffy, but maybe your right about making it smaller...we will see the finished product... :x
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #118 on: September 24, 2012, 05:22:24 PM »
Damn ranger, I really hope you can get this all implemented in the MA's! Awesome stuff  :rock  :aok
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #119 on: September 24, 2012, 05:35:12 PM »
Thanks for sticking it in your terrain Jimson. :salute

Thanks for making it available, We love new stuff and are always willing to be a testing ground.