Author Topic: New smoke effect  (Read 5415 times)

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
Re: New smoke effect
« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2012, 10:26:22 PM »
I haven't played with the default ground fire yet, but I do have the .bmps, so it is planned. :)
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2012, 03:32:53 AM »
no disrespect intended to Ranger, but I'm pretty sure HTC could make similarly improved explosions themselves if they wanted to

they just haven't done so yet, for whatever reason

I am sure that USRanger took no offense.  I agree with you premise that HTC could and has come up with some equally impressive advances to their graphics appearance.  Just take a look at the new trains.  However, I do get the feeling that HTC knows that by making these files available to the community, talented individuals will experiment.  Who knows where their inspirations come from or how much farther advanced their plans are.  More than we could even imagine. 

I would hope that seeing the results of such experimentation and the response from their customers, it would merit some sort of acknowledgement.  Even possibly a custom arena / custom terrain contest or something similar to the splash screen, screenie competition.  I thought that was great inspiration for folks to enjoy a totally separate experience from the game besides the whole competition for rank, etc.

Edited:  After reading further responses, it does appear that HTC has acknowledged, and even encouraged such experimentation, and we are fortunate to have arenas that HTC allows to stray from the MA standard and fortunate to have folks like USRanger, Waffle, Greebo, Soda, MrMidi, ImAdot, Fester, etc .....

Also, good to have all those folks who volunteer and do the wonderful skin work.... I could go on and on with the list, even about how much I enjoy Fugitives comics, but the buck really stops with those that made it all happen and made the files available.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 03:44:09 AM by Chilli »

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2012, 02:18:43 PM »
Shouldn't HTC be implementing this? They should be knocking your door down to get this in the MAs.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2012, 04:11:52 PM »
Shouldn't HTC be implementing this? They should be knocking your door down to get this in the MAs.

A good system test will be in the AVA.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #94 on: September 20, 2012, 05:37:54 PM »
A good system test will be in the AVA.

They are in AvA starting tomorrow. Everyone is invited to come and be teste's.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #95 on: September 20, 2012, 06:10:31 PM »
They are in AvA starting tomorrow. Everyone is invited to come and be teste's.
Teste's... don't they only come in pairs?
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2012, 06:26:28 PM »
Ranger, my first post stated quite politely and in a civil way "It's not very realistic" and the response was mindless Krusty-bashing, a knee-jerk reaction from some. I in NO way invited that kind of reaction, nor was it warranted. Had the response been "How do you mean?" I was fully prepared to post all the examples I had on hand. That is how a polite and civil discussion takes place. Instead I was summarily dismissed as some crackpot and always wrong.

The science of it is this: The only reason you get the billowy "bulges" or "bubbles" or whatever you want to call them, where light and shadow create high contrast, is when a stationary fire, on the ground, is pushing more smoke and heat upwards. There's already smoke there, and it has to displace this, thereby creating the outward bulges.

In a plane on fire, this doesn't happen. Why? It's simple: The flame isn't there anymore. It's just a suspension of smoke particles in the atmosphere. Nothing to push it or displace it and create bulges or bubbles or whatever you want to call, and nothing to create such interesting shapes for light and shadow to play upon.

Again, this would only be where the flames are relatively stationary. On your CV, for example, it would look like this if the CV were stationary, otherwise it might only look like this right over the immediate flames. The rest of the smoke trail would be far more solid and dark in nature.

You can't do that with Aces High, though. It's all one smoke trail. You can't place a localized effect over the immediate flame then another to depict the different-looking trail. That's just a problem with how the game is set up. That makes the smoke look unrealistic past the point of combustion.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2012, 06:51:20 PM »
I guess politeness is in the eye of the beholder, but personally, I feel that since you initially had nothing constructive to add, there was no reason for you to even express your opinion except to be a negative nabob.

To be honest it doesn't look very realistic at all. I'm not defending the defaults, as I don't think they are realistic either, but yours isn't much of an improvement.

Your second reply (without the defensiveness) would have been a better first reply, and then perhaps the defensiveness would have been unnecessary.

Here is away of stating your point that is unlikely to draw such a reaction.

"Hey Ranger that looks cool, but it also looks like it was modeled after a stationary ground fire. I don't think smoke trailing from a plane would look quite like that. Maybe you could look at some that are traveling at speed to make it look more realistic."

Or you could have said, "You are likely limited by game mechanics from getting something to look totally realistic, but with those limitations it looks pretty cool. Have you tried such and such?"
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 07:12:49 PM by jimson »

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2012, 06:56:25 PM »
Awesome Jimson, I can hardly wait  :banana:  USRanger  :aok your da man.  HTC, thanks for making this possible.  Krusty, you have to admit this looks cool.  :D 

A Carrier at top speed is traveling how fast?  So, in the case of the fleet and standing structures the smoke effect seems to be working appropriately.  In a plane, however I could see that AH smoke may be overstated.  I think, that if I follow Krusty correctly, he is also saying that high velocity smoke would be much more vaporized and their rounded puffy appearance is off. 

What I was wondering, if USRanger had any success with playing with the alpha layers, to offset the default bubble/puffy appearance of aircraft flames and/or smoke?

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2012, 07:08:32 PM »
Ranger's smoke..

Krusty's smoke..

You be the judge.  ;)

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2012, 07:44:00 PM »

B-24 on fire.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline Daddkev

• Silver Member
« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2012, 08:15:21 PM »
 :huh :huh :huh Smoking....not Fire!  :huh :huh :huh
God Bless America
Go tell Momm, im flying! and make me a sandwich !
EvilKev

2012 68KO Cup 1st Place finisher

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2012, 08:23:26 PM »
:huh :huh :huh Smoking....not Fire!  :huh :huh :huh

There is a saying that seems apt in this situation "Where there is smoke there is fire."
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2012, 09:05:36 PM »

Offline ALFAMEGA51

• Silver Member
« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2012, 09:07:31 PM »
Ranger's smoke..

(Image removed from quote.)

Krusty's smoke..

(Image removed from quote.)

You be the judge.  ;)
Aaahah to good my man!!  :rofl
ID:ALFAMEGA/Kyle
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Undercover Jug pilot "My brick always flys wing"