Author Topic: HardCore  (Read 4342 times)

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
Re: HardCore
« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2012, 04:59:05 PM »
I ahve no problems with your opinion I just don't like how it always seems to be presented as flat out fact by a few people not just you Wiley(not trying to attack) in any AVA discussion. If you would say ['I find it hard to play in the AVA and this is why, but dont let my experence deter you from trying'(like Semp did)  I wouldnt even have posted my responses.
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2012, 05:01:39 PM »
Skuzzy please lock this thread.   :salute

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2012, 06:39:44 PM »
To be honest in the overture of wanting "All" players to take part in the alternative offerings of the AvA. You AvA supporters should perform system environment testing to come up with graphics reccomendations for players not able to resolve dots between 6k reducing into 3k distance on screen.

Instead of insulting the AH community by inference with:

A. -  the bad economy and their personal economic issues.
 B. - not having your discretionairy income to buy all the toys for big boys in the real gaming world.
 C. - provide solutions that are simple for low caliber hardware like, reduce textures to 512. Or up gamma by so many points in the AvA arena.

If there is a CM setting for (dot size\resolution) at distance past 1k. Just up the damnd thing to training wheels mode and stop punishing people as the price to play in the arena. Otherwise your partisan assaults on legitament paying "Customer" complaints are rank elitism.

I thought Hitech supplied the custom arenas for those who want to practice game play ideological "discrimination" in all of it's elitist glory with your tiny circle of like minded elitists. Not use the AvA to turn Aces High into IL2 without the arena numbers restrictions limited to guys who can afford the big boy hardware list.

Deadstik,

You opened a can of worms you havent a clue about. And NrRaven stomped on the can and smeared worm gunk on the AH community because we don't measure up to his standards when it comes to big boy toys and Aces High manhood. Whats the point of Skuzzy locking the vault since the gold was stolen years ago and you just had to stirr the dried out stick one more time.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2012, 06:48:23 PM »
All i can say to anyone wanting to try out the AVA is you don't need the uber set up, I don't have it and I do fine in there. Just try it and make your own decision on it. The elitist/Tweaker horse will continue to be beat by people on both sides of the argument, but don't let a opinion on a forum decide wether to try the AVA or not for you. Go in on Tuesday around 9 ESt or later and see what it is about and form your own opinion.
HamHawk
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #94 on: September 30, 2012, 06:53:30 PM »
Your Right, the correct equipment makes it far more enjoyable. Especially if your eyesight is poor,think of a big monitor as a new pair of glasses.
The correct equipment for a no or limeted icon environment takes simmiming to an entierly new level.

Listen, it's 2012, times are changing.. With quality 1920x1080 42"-46" monitors now priced @  $500 and dropping, along with tools like track ir, we are seeing more and more folks moving toward a no icon environment.

Limeted icons is not for everyone, but if your willing to add a new and different skill set to your Repertoire. It's well worth the small investment to experience the immersion purity and intensity it offers.

The AVA is a good place to try it out. Icons or not the AVA set ups are fun and have a special event feel to them 24/7 and the crowed is very friendly and supportive,not snobby or elite  :)

I play with a puter that is better than what most players have.  Also have 3 23in monitors, trakir and nice stick setup.  I play with everything on and shadows at 4096 except for em. My fps hardly go below 55.

But i cant see the difference between a shadow and a plane.

Semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2012, 08:16:13 PM »
All the things that the A vs A regulars said "we've already tried that" were tried by them.

There are plenty here who are newer than 5 years ago who never got the chance to "try that".

I don't care if the map doen't rotate......you simply make two fields uncapturable.

It's not like 27 guys will be waiting to vulch you because the total arena population is only about 15 people who fly more than 10 sorties in a tour anyway.......the rest fly one or two and leave.

The arena sits empty every time I check it.

It is simply nothing more than another special events arena.

"and carthage must be destroyed"......I mean...."a rolling planeset must be deployed"
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 08:20:42 PM by icepac »

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: September 30, 2012, 08:23:26 PM »
I ahve no problems with your opinion I just don't like how it always seems to be presented as flat out fact by a few people not just you Wiley(not trying to attack) in any AVA discussion. If you would say ['I find it hard to play in the AVA and this is why, but dont let my experence deter you from trying'(like Semp did)  I wouldnt even have posted my responses.

And yet according to you, there is no problem because you can see the dots with your setup, presented as flat out fact.  Same difference.  To be honest, you're a reasonable sort, Nathan.  We both only have our own experiences to go by, we've both only ever looked out of one set of eyes.  I'm basing my opinion on the fact that at native resolution on my 21" monitor, I can't see the dots my squaddies can pick up generally a minute or two of closing before I can.

It's a common enough problem for Dawger among others to have posted a guide on how to get the most out of your monitor and video settings to maximize the visibility.  It's not the first one I've seen.  The fact that you don't experience those issues doesn't change that.

The guys that get my back up are people like the OP and Raven, chest thumping because they enjoy pixel hunt gameplay.

The funny thing is, I never once even mentioned the AvA, I was only referencing the no icon gameplay.  The reasons I don't go to the AvA have very little to do with the icons, I live with my shortcomings in the FSO the same as I have done in other no icon flight sims for around 5 years now.  I get by, although at times I'm sure my wingies have wanted to go, 'Dammit, Wiley, it's right F^&*^&*ING THERE!'

*shrug*  It's a circular argument at this point anyways.  Nobody should let a forum post determine their opinion of something without trying it themselves.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #97 on: September 30, 2012, 08:25:08 PM »
All the things that the A vs A regulars said "we've already tried that" were tried by them.
There are plenty here who are newer than 5 years ago who never got the chance to "try that".
I don't care if the map doen't rotate......you simply make two fields uncapturable.
It's not like 27 guys will be waiting to vulch you because the total arena population is only about 15 people who fly more than 10 sorties in a tour anyway.......the rest fly one or two and leave.
The arena sits empty every time I check it.
It is simply nothing more than another special events arena.
"and carthage must be destroyed"......I mean...."a rolling planeset must be deployed"
Why dont you join the development staff then? You don't liek the set up they get that but plenty of others do and there have been recent polls conducted that back that up.
HamHawk
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2012, 08:31:04 PM »
And yet according to you, there is no problem because you can see the dots with your setup, presented as flat out fact.  Same difference.  To be honest, you're a reasonable sort, Nathan.  We both only have our own experiences to go by, we've both only ever looked out of one set of eyes.  I'm basing my opinion on the fact that at native resolution on my 21" monitor, I can't see the dots my squaddies can pick up generally a minute or two of closing before I can.

I said I dont have a problem, and I am running a lesser setup with no tweaks(other than field of view) I also mention its my opinion. I said it wasnt the MAIN determining factor and everyone has the resouses to counterset the problem t Like I mention in the posts above polls were done and the fact that there are posts guiding how others can tweak thier systems should show there is not eltism by allas a general rule in the AVA IN reavans post he even mentions such and I havent seen it. Im glad you make the point that a forum post should be a determining factor to those who want to try it.
HamHawk
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #99 on: September 30, 2012, 08:49:19 PM »
Semp,

If you turn off all bump mapping, shadows, detailed terrain and shiny surfaces. Turn off the horizon. Change your Textures to 512 and up your gamma. You will see the distant dots. But, don't get too close to the ground or water. It shoots depth perception to the chits.

In reverse if the CM has an administrator's option to set the size of the distance dots total pixels past 1k-2k globaly. Setting it to the largest value possible if it's like 4x8 pixels or larger. If color is an option, black, would make this easier for more players to feel comfortable making sense of no icons. But, the few hours from twilight dawn or dusk and low clouds screw this anyway.

Here is a better idea of the physical problem.

First NrRaven talks about using your gunsight to determin distance which is in Mil relationship to the width of the con's wing and the 100Mil diamter of the gunsight ring at known distances. And that is the real reason for the ring in WW2 gunsights. Range finding. Most pilots could not calculate lead using a 100Mil ring.

If we calculate the average fighter's side view at 3000yds by Mil its (.6x3). And if your gunsights are made in 512x512 where 1Mil = 2pixel. (1Milx3Mil) or (2pixel x 6pixel). You won't be eyeballing him on his way into you most of the time due to too few pixels on your screen blending in with the eye-candy. Especialy if you don't have some big boy hardware that can render the contrast of those few pixels in motion.

For many low end puter system owners which NrRaven insults but, pays the rent on the server each month that he plays in while insulting their subscription power to keeping HTC in business. If you have all of the eye-candy turned up at 1024 or higher textures. You won't be seeing much of the con until his tracers, if he leaves them on, shoots past your canopy no matter how vigilent you look for him.

The smart ones will turn tracers off and pick you from below knowing you probably won't change much from your MA graphics settings. And dusk or evening, just stay close to the deck looking up for your cherry pick. In a 2D flat world rendering multiple 2D flat images per minute fooling your eye into thinking it's looking at a 3D picture. Number of pixels and how they contrast to the background feild matters if you want to see something tiny that's in motion across it.

The icon in the MA creates a level opportunity playing feild won or lost by the players ACM skill. In the AvA becasue some players systems do not render the pixel versus background contrast of fighters past 2.5k, or against the ground\water very efficiently. A no icon arena is only a level playing feild for those who have equaly efficient rendering systems of those few pixels befor it's an equal playing feild for the players ACM skill levels. Hardware efficiency matters a bit more in the AvA than it does in the MA becasue of the absence of the Icon in finding your fight.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #100 on: September 30, 2012, 10:20:17 PM »
I can live with the icon being at 2.5k or so and it's cool having only one set of planes versus the other.  but what kills me is not being able to see the cons that fly at low alt and thus have no icon.  that's really what keeps me away.

sometimes ava really has no icons in that case in those cases i really just logged off as all i would be is bait.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #101 on: September 30, 2012, 10:35:20 PM »

Offline surfinn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #102 on: September 30, 2012, 11:45:07 PM »
as all i would be is bait.

semp

And thats something new??  :lol  just picking on ya semp :cheers:

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #103 on: October 01, 2012, 04:38:18 AM »
Best solution I've seen for an AVA is from "another game" :

In that game you could have a vertical bar only replacing plane type and range, red for enemy , green for friendly planes.

HO's where rare, since range is your friend if you like to HO/RAM others . and also players with inferior equipment are given a fair chance.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #104 on: October 01, 2012, 07:20:30 AM »
I have a normal sized monitor and have no problem with no icon.

In all honesty AvA is not much different than MA. Same stuff happens in there as MA just at a much smaller scale. The only benefit I personally see to flying AvA is that AvA helps your SA.

So if there is an egonaught saying it is the harder more extreme version of AH they are lying to you and themselves.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."