Author Topic: Side switch time  (Read 7601 times)

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Side switch time
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2012, 03:10:01 PM »
Maybe there's a better way, but I haven't seen anyone offer it yet.  I do think that the change fixes the problem it was meant to address, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's more "fun."  I know I enjoyed the one hour side switches as much as anyone.  

I think someone attempted to measure arena imbalance over time in a previous thread and found that, actually, the changes did have the intended effect.  So your anecdotal evidence doesn't match overall arena reality.

I've seen plenty, perks for a switch was one, I don't fly a perk plane so they are pretty useless to me. I have never seen this thread or this evidence so for the meantime I will have to judge it as...anecdotal.... :D

This brings me back to my other point, do I have to quit my job to find fun consistently in Aces High? I don't know why I am even debating the point in this thread as I have already down it in other longer deeper threads and Hitech done and intends to do squat about it, so what will change, its just me wasting my time.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2012, 04:24:54 PM »
Compared to what?

339 hours  so far this year is not that much anymore?

That's an average of 37 hours per tour.

Your time declined in May and June (as most do, due to being outside in the summer) but it started to go back up after that (with the exception of last tour)

I'm gonna go get my deep boots, now.

no check last year I play thru the summer.   I hardly play anymore because I find myself playing wot more. 

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2012, 04:25:39 PM »
Anyone for the 12hour limit should try flying during late night/Euro hours. Especially on these over sized maps.
-AoM-

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2012, 04:44:09 PM »
Dead,

Thanks, I couldn't quite remember the oscillation part and wanted to see if the audience had any clue deeper than their personal desires versus the health of the game.

1. - What happens when the oscillation takes place and what is the tipping point?

2. - Why did two arena's with roughly 400 players across them not trigger the tipping point with the 1 hour switch time with one arena hosting around 250-300 and the other 125-250 at peak times?

3. - Why is a single arena with 400 players more susceptible to the oscillation?

4. - If there is a maximum population density that creates the tipping point. Cannot a function like ENY monitor that and give us a sliding scale of time switch versus density? Population DensityX = 1, 3, 6, or 12 Hours. The clipboard can be updated with a new selection stating the current time restriction. And just like the factories are moving somewhere message, the HOST can tell us our time has just changed in big red text.

Probably to make this work, when you logged off your personal timer resets to zero until your next session. It would not be fair to lock anyone into the side switch timer they logged off with. And now you have a loop hole to switching sides at will unless another timer imposes restrictions based on how many times you logoff and logon during a fixed time period. Otherwise at each logon session you would be able to emidiatly switch sides. So the secondary timer would probably impose 12 hours of logoff and logon attempts before you could switch sides as soon as you logged in. You're side switching is controlled in real time by the population density function as a factor of when you happened to be playing in the arena.

This would tend to be more benificial to the EU and late night crowd when the arena drops below 200 players.

A. - You can never logon then switch sides. (Draconian and whines will be recorded)(secondary timer allowing 1 free switch every 12 hours)
B. - A Population Density function during your active session will allow you to switch sides inside of your current session timer.
350-400+ -- 12hours
275-349 -- 6hours
200-274 -- 3hours
1-199 -- 1hour

I think I see why Hitech keeps it simple. You could get stuck in one country for a very long time depending on your play habits. Or the secondary timer grants you a change country at will once every 12 hours that you have to choose as your reason for switching countries in the O'Club.

I know I'm missing something with the oscillation, human nature, and how this game works in my spitballing. And this is what you gents always get. The customer is not often right right when it comes to running the providors business. The arena functioning for everyone is part of the business. I've been on a few late nights and saw the only action was bish-rook and knights were a cricket fest with a few furballer names stuck on the knights side.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2012, 06:01:55 PM »
Babalonian's got an interesting theory.  Trinity's up, this thread starts...  :noid

Wiley.

It went down last night after being up for about 24 hours....
and a thread that made its first 4 pages in the first 24-hours of its existence regarding the side switch subject....
has now degraded to making about only one page, mostly off-topic, in the last 24-hours.

I got enough tinfoil, pitchforks and toches for all!
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline kappa

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »
I don't remember a side imbalance problem with the 1hour switch time.. Just my observation.. I do have problems with the 12hour switch time..
- TWBYDHAS

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2012, 08:31:10 PM »
It is better to ignore semp, she is angry, bleeding and unfulfilled  ;)

Carry on!

:salute

Oh, bringing back the 1 hour time may encourage me to restart my PAID account  :aok

Just saying!

Hope you all are doing well!  :salute :cheers:

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2012, 04:57:52 PM »
I don't remember a side imbalance problem with the 1hour switch time.. Just my observation.. I do have problems with the 12hour switch time..

Before it was switched back to 12 hours when the arenas were reduced to one. I wonder how many players actualy were aware that the side switch time value was (1 hour) besides a small number of fight followers? The test that Hitech probably has no interest in performing is to place it at (1 hour) for a tour. While making sure the MOTD pops up each session for everyone reminding them that they can change sides once every hour. Then reveil their personal timer as a 60 minute countdown clock running in their clipboard with a red text message popup every time they are eligible to switch sides.

The premise is; if it's in their face that once an hour they can change their current condition of fun or fortune with a pointed message enforcing you are free to switch contries NOW. How many with that constant knowlege with a timer to reenforce it will truely be loyal to any country versus their fun and fortunes? Hitech had to make a policy decision not to include a visible side switch timer on the clipboard when it pops up for a reason. There are a plethora of tiny utilites for windows enterprise that can put a timer on your desktop counting down how long you have been logged on and when your next password change is due. Passing server backend personal timer info to a user then is simple. The clipboard is just a fancy application window allowing you limited access to some of the games backend that Hitech chooses to expose to you.

Back when the 2 LWMA arenas were reduced to one arena. I didn't know anyone who had a clue what the side switching time limit was. Only after the change back to 12 hours and the subsiquent hue and cry in this forum, I and others learned about it. I'm curious if "Dunbars Number" has something to do with the imbalance oscillations Dead spoke about in single arenas when the population density shifts past 250 players and begins to climb.

Dunbars number is the theory that either 120 or 250 members is the maximum number of people who can know each other due to biological limitations in the brain and feel like a tribe or community. When it's exceeded, splintering off to form new groups begins resulting in intercene strife and discord often fracturing previous harmonius groups via stress focusing on petty differences and status insecuritis. The number of statistical loners and disaffected increases with unpredictable impacts upon the remaining disunified groups. This process magnifies tribalist tendancies along with all the normal suspicions, percieived grudges and grievences against other groups and individuals. Remember the garbage pit ch200 was in the mid 2000's.

Not sure Hitech is up for a test of that. Or he may have 20 years of testing supporting his personal decision on 12 hours for a single arena. Personaly, I've only had 20 years of playing in his games observing populations and their habits.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 05:27:30 PM by bustr »
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2012, 02:53:16 PM »

can you all of you guys say it with an oliver twist voice  "please sir, may i have some less time?"

isnt it a beatch, when it was a 1 hour switch time you werent happy.  now you wish it was back to 1 hour. 

I was very happy with the 1 hour switch time and never wished for it to be changed.  It was people like you that weren't very happy with it.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2012, 03:43:00 PM »
I was very happy with the 1 hour switch time and never wished for it to be changed.  It was people like you that weren't very happy with it.

ack-ack

+1
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2012, 03:49:47 PM »
+1

I will take your +1 and add one of my own.

+1
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2012, 05:28:45 PM »
Wait.....so thats +2?  (didnt even have to take off my shoes to count that high):D
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2012, 05:29:59 PM »
WTH is that smell?
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2012, 07:06:18 PM »

ack-ack

So after the move back to a single arena with most of the general player base ingnorant of what restriction the switch timer was set at. The game had no real problems from side switching because only the tiny minority who cared about following the fun they liked, bothered to be aware of the timer as part of their game play strategy.

Eventualy the knowlege of the 60 minute limit would have become more wide spread with more migration taking place to percieved greener pastures. We were not in the single arena format with a 60 minute timer long enough for the general player base to utilise the timer as one of their constant tools like yourself to achive fun or create any negative imbalance effects.

It was an obvious good deal while it lasted for a visibly happy minority of the like minded who probably would not appreciate mass abuse of it by the general population. It was obvious their bliss was having some freedom in chasing fights. But, still feel it should be available to themselves now becasue they only want to follow their personal action. Afterall, if the general population remains ignorant and slogging it out fixed to their countries. Your and the minority of the like minded's country hopping simply fufills your collective need to not be bored by the general populations often lame and slow game play.

Unfortunatly, Hitech switched the value to 12 hours before enough time could have passed to see how 60 minutes would have played out as it became general population common knowlege.

Isn't it more honest at this heated juncture to request a test of 60 minutes over 1-2 tours with all players being given constant notice they are eligable to switch sides when their personal timer counts the 60th minute? Versus the previous oversight accident which relyed on their ignorance to support your fun for an indeterminant period into the future before any of the problems surfaced that Hitech from his experience is heading off with the 12 hour timer?

Look at the microcosm of the AvA and WWI arena to how easy they become lop sided in the face of polite insitance by CM's and players to balance the sides being switch at will arenas. And this is with populations not more than 12-20 at peak times. More often the CM's and the players requesting the balance do the side switching because, who wants a game cloitus intteruptus when they are on a fun role? Then introduce Dunbars Number theory into the MA coupled with multipe "fun rolls".

I can just see Skuzzy useing the God VOX & TEXT in the MA and a booming request across all VOX channels And RED TEXT cuts in telling us we have 5 minutes to politely balance sides or else. Ain't ignorance bliss when the masses are ignorantly sleeping?

bustr - POTW 1st Wing