Author Topic: Potential Billion Dollar Storm  (Read 4230 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: Potential Billion Dollar Storm
« Reply #165 on: October 31, 2012, 09:12:24 PM »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #166 on: October 31, 2012, 09:39:21 PM »
Just got a text from a friend, said that over 300,000 gallons of diesel fuel has spilled into Arthur Kill/Raritan Bay  :(

« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 09:43:35 PM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #167 on: November 01, 2012, 09:29:45 AM »
Just got a text from a friend, said that over 300,000 gallons of diesel fuel has spilled into Arthur Kill/Raritan Bay  :(

Yes not many have mentioned the enviromental impact to the Area. Many homes on the Barrier Islands are very old and there is vast amounts of heating oil in the water. We sometimes forget nature has shaped the Barrier Islands many times. There is now a new inlet at the Mantolokin Bridge area. In the 1700's the cranberry inlet was open in the Normandy Beach area but closed up after many storms.
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #168 on: November 01, 2012, 09:43:05 AM »
Sharks swimming around on Beach Ave. in Brigantine.

First full day back to work.  Running on generator at home. 

Alive.  Thankful.

Not that bad of a storm?  Come on, Shuff.  Depends who you ask and where they live.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #169 on: November 01, 2012, 09:55:01 AM »
here's some aftermath pictures of this "little" storm.

http://weather.aol.com/2012/10/28/photos-superstorm-kicks-up-waves-threatens-coast#photo=24

Pump the wind up to 110, 120, or even 150 and you'll see a huge difference. As with any storm it is dangerous. It is just not that strong.

Things could be much worse than what we are seeing now.

Unfortunately we are seeing way too many die as a result of ignoring evacuation orders. The kids..... they simply had no choice.

Yes not many have mentioned the enviromental impact to the Area. Many homes on the Barrier Islands are very old and there is vast amounts of heating oil in the water. We sometimes forget nature has shaped the Barrier Islands many times. There is now a new inlet at the Mantolokin Bridge area. In the 1700's the cranberry inlet was open in the Normandy Beach area but closed up after many storms.
Yes for any flooded area the first thing you have to worry about is drinking water. Sewers overflow.... gas oil.... all the flooded cars. You must even be more careful in cleanup as getting cut could introduce anything into your system.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 10:00:52 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #170 on: November 01, 2012, 10:46:40 AM »
Pump the wind up to 110, 120, or even 150 and you'll see a huge difference. As with any storm it is dangerous. It is just not that strong.

Things could be much worse than what we are seeing now.

Unfortunately we are seeing way too many die as a result of ignoring evacuation orders. The kids..... they simply had no choice.
Yes for any flooded area the first thing you have to worry about is drinking water. Sewers overflow.... gas oil.... all the flooded cars. You must even be more careful in cleanup as getting cut could introduce anything into your system.

The issue around here are the ancient, huge trees and density of the neighborhoods.   If a tree falls around here, it can take out half a block of houses.

Same with the electric.  Take out one part of the grid and it can be 100k people without power.  While the storm itself was not the worst ever seen on the planet, the effects it has had are the worst in this area in the past 100 years.

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #171 on: November 01, 2012, 11:42:21 AM »
Good to see your ok VM......was in your neighborhood today.....80ft oak tree vs house.........tree won.  Literally cut the house in half. Everyone ok though.
Im showing up at my insureds homes looking a bit scruffy.....but they all understand. Actually had a guy offer me a disposable razor and some shaving cream. Told him im keeping the "beard" till i get power back....... Good people around here  :aok
 Was in North Wales, they had power,  and Wifes office in Hatfield has power (Unionville and 309).Hopefully their working in your area to get things done.......also saw a bunch of line trucks staging in the Merck area (10+ or so)

Still no power here, house is cold as heck, but getting by.

PPL telling us probably be back on by Sunday here at home. Good thing is Quakertown has power, and im a sucker for diner food  :D

Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #172 on: November 01, 2012, 12:03:59 PM »
Good to see your ok VM......was in your neighborhood today.....80ft oak tree vs house.........tree won.  Literally cut the house in half. Everyone ok though.
Im showing up at my insureds homes looking a bit scruffy.....but they all understand. Actually had a guy offer me a disposable razor and some shaving cream. Told him im keeping the "beard" till i get power back....... Good people around here  :aok
 Was in North Wales, they had power,  and Wifes office in Hatfield has power (Unionville and 309).Hopefully their working in your area to get things done.......also saw a bunch of line trucks staging in the Merck area (10+ or so)

PPL telling us probably be back on by Sunday here at home. Good thing is Quakertown has power, and im a sucker for diner food  :D

Lots of trees down in Lansdale.

I'm behind the Wendy's (technically Upper Gwynedd)

I have a monstrous Pin Oak in my back yard about 60 years old.  I keep it healthy and well trimmed.  I would not want to see that thing come down  :noid

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #173 on: November 01, 2012, 12:15:30 PM »
I`m glad you all made it through unscathed and power is coming back on,
and you have the opportunity to rebuild your homes & lives... good old war spirit!
It sure was a big storm , catergory 1..(shuff..cant get much bigger)
I just want to mention Jamaica, Cuba and the Bahamas..the whole Caribbean devastation .they took it bad too..
and they have, obviously much more flimsy housing...200,000 in Haiti are now homeless due to the storm! with over 50 dead.
Just a thought that though it is bad it could be worse.
My thoughts are with all that felt the wraith of Sandy.
<<S>>Jimmy
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #174 on: November 01, 2012, 12:17:39 PM »

in a way, you're probably getting better recieved by your customers showing up a bit "scruffy" when our insurance agent used to come out, he came out just dressed casual. was a cool guy. when he retired, his son took over his accounts. he always comes out in a suit and tie.....IF he comes out. i don't like the kid. very close to changing insurance companies 'cause of him in fact.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)