Author Topic: Potential Billion Dollar Storm  (Read 4231 times)

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
Potential Billion Dollar Storm
« on: October 25, 2012, 10:22:50 AM »
Sounds like Sandy is heading right towards Mid-Atlantic and DE/NJ.
With a cold front coming down, it will form a Nor'easter.
Now prognosticators are saying could be bigger and badder than the "Perfect Storm" of 91.
"If it hits around Delaware, it could produce several inches of snow". Meaning?
They are guessing as to amount, if any.
If it hits around Maine, less Snow in Mid-Atlantic. More of a Rain event.
They changed probability from 60-70% of hit in this area.
Batton down the hatches, matey's. Be safe!
The Billion dollars in damage potential comes from the "experts".
                                                                                                                            :cheers: Oz
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 10:26:13 AM by ozrocker »
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline Tesla9

• Zinc Member
Re: Potential Billion Dollar Storm
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 01:20:02 PM »
Why is DE in for a chance of snow before Halloween AGAIN  :mad:
Madam, I am drunk. But in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
Winston Churchill

Offline Fud

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 01:41:56 PM »
It's gonna be my first hurricane...providing its course takes it to the Hampton Rds region.... :rock
There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 03:29:11 PM »
Already gearing up at work for this one.....doesnt look good, NOAA (as of right now) has it slamming NJ.
I do alot of saltwater fishing out of NJ, and have many friends that are charter captains.....I cut and pasted this from one of the guys that really watches  the weather for the captains off NJ.

The 11AM National Hurricane Center update on Sandy has officially placed the track of the storm as making a direct hit on NJ!  Sandy rapidly intensified last night with winds topping 110 mph and a central pressure of 956 mb.  At one point this storm was a weak Category 3, a major hurricane.  The NHC lists Sandy as being a Tropical Storm with a landfall Tuesday Morning.  This is a LARGE storm.  It will likely change from a tropical system to an extratropical storm.  This might actually be worse than getting hit by a hurricane or tropical storm.  Extratropical storms will spread out their wind fields over a larger area.  So while, the strength that this storm hits NJ with is not definitive, expect a very strong storm to hit the coast.  This will include sustained winds over 75 mph with higher gusts, heavy rains, inland, flash and coastal flooding, storm surge, and beach erosion.  For the most part we can rule out snow, however some parts may see some snow on the tail end of this storm.  Low temperatures are forecast in the mid to upper 30's after this storm moves out.  Expect widespread power outages as well.

The track and strength of this storm will likely change over the next few days, however, without a doubt, NJ will be in the path of this dangerous storm.  Now is the time to start making any preparations necessary.  At best we can expect a typical Nor'Easter that will bring wind, rain, flooding and beach erosion.  At worst, this could be a massive, dangerous storm that could leave more destruction than Hurricane Irene caused!

All further updates will take place in this thread.  I am expecting an Official Briefing Package from the Meteorologist in Charge at the NWS PHI/Mount Holly within the next few hours.  I will update as often as possible.  Expect the media outlets to pick this up full swing today, which means the general public will begin to panic and rush around to make preparations.
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/phi/briefing/packages/current_briefing.pdf
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 04:02:53 PM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline jeep00

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 03:58:29 PM »
Save the butterscotch krimpets!!!!!!!!!
Seriuosly, saave them! I was in a frenzy last night, I found a Tastykake display at our local Walmart. This is no small thing for me, they just don't have Tastykake up here. It is brutal. Tore the display up but only came away with creme filled coffee kake cupcakes. They had the bastard son of the true krimpet, the jelly filled. Not a chance, I only want a butterscotch one now.

Ooops. I digress. Stock on on food and water folks. We got Irene last year and it cut some folks off for weeks. And that was a tropical storm in August. Best to you folks down there. Could give us last year, had 22" of snow on October 30, then almost nothing the rest of the season.

Bob

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 04:03:26 PM »
peanut butter and bread...yummy
They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 04:32:27 PM »
I hope it doesn't take the path the European map pedicts...  :cry

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 05:18:50 PM »
Sounds like Sandy is heading right towards Mid-Atlantic and DE/NJ.
With a cold front coming down, it will form a Nor'easter.
Now prognosticators are saying could be bigger and badder than the "Perfect Storm" of 91.
"If it hits around Delaware, it could produce several inches of snow". Meaning?
They are guessing as to amount, if any.
If it hits around Maine, less Snow in Mid-Atlantic. More of a Rain event.
They changed probability from 60-70% of hit in this area.
Batton down the hatches, matey's. Be safe!
The Billion dollars in damage potential comes from the "experts".

i've got my generators tank full, with 15 gallons spare. my snowblower won't start though.......
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 05:29:09 PM »
the "expect widespread power outages" is gonna put me on another rant.........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 07:34:19 PM »
Sunday forecast here so far , winds 20-40, rain moderate to heavy. Wally world will be fun tomorrow. :bhead :banana:

Keep safe up there in the New England area <Pats still suck though> :salute
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 08:10:32 PM »
I was hired last year by a major insurance company for a claims adjuster position and had been there for all of a month when Hurricane Irene hit the southern coast of CT.  A month later came Storm Alfred, which seemed to take down every tree in the state and left me and most of my coworkers without power for two weeks.  We had people wearing the same few clothes the whole time, and others living in shelters.  Everyone was their tail off  every day.  Weekends didn't exist.  We had mountains of claims to deal with, and it got very tricky trying to find rental cars for people.  Body shops were tied up for weeks, and some for months.  Overtime was unlimited until January.

It was definitely an interesting time to break into the industry, and something I'm proud to have worked through.  I hope this storm doesn't affect the States, but if it does, we'll be there :aok
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 08:16:19 PM »
I was hired last year by a major insurance company for a claims adjuster position and had been there for all of a month when Hurricane Irene hit the southern coast of CT.  A month later came Storm Alfred, which seemed to take down every tree in the state and left me and most of my coworkers without power for two weeks.  We had people wearing the same few clothes the whole time, and others living in shelters.  Everyone was their tail off  every day.  Weekends didn't exist.  We had mountains of claims to deal with, and it got very tricky trying to find rental cars for people.  Body shops were tied up for weeks, and some for months.  Overtime was unlimited until January.

It was definitely an interesting time to break into the industry, and something I'm proud to have worked through.  I hope this storm doesn't affect the States, but if it does, we'll be there :aok

Welcome to the industry Vudak   :aok  Been in it for 25yrs    first 15 rebuilding from losses, last 10 paying for them. :aok

Who knows, if the track hits where they think it will, we'll be handling the same neighborhoods  :lol
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 08:25:42 PM »
Gonna be a fun week here in NYC... :rolleyes:

As long as the power doesn't go out, I'll be happy.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 07:56:22 AM »
Now it's 90% chance of a direct hit on NJ.
Are you ready for "Frankenstorm"
Media saying "In the annals of recorded Meterological data,
no storm recorded has acted like this one".
Looks like it will turn right into Delaware Bay, then up Delaware River.
Right between Camden & Philly.
Here's a link for the Tracker.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/26295161

« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 08:10:15 AM by ozrocker »
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 11:30:58 AM »
Yeah saw all the "spaghetti tracks" that showed a scatter from North Carolina to New England yesterday morning all changed by the 6 o'clock news to almost all of them heading right to here. I'm thinking--that WAS a nice beach replenishment they did last year. Oh well.  :frown:

Hopefully it'll veer off like the last end of the world storm did last September. Unfortunately that one veered into southern New England and caused all kinds of havoc.

I'd rather the rain than the wind if it has to happen. Flooding sucks but I live on a hill so not so much for me. The wind is the killer. Been there and done that with Isabel years ago that took out the power in the whole region for days. Lost a lot of stuff to that one not the least of which was a pair of beautiful maple trees. With the leaves still on them they just got torn apart. That storm was the worst sustained wind I've ever seen this far inland. Scary stuff.

Latest track as I'm watching the weather just now has it coming right into Delaware Bay early Tuesday morning. Great.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group